Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: For those that make their own roach food...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,726
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default For those that make their own roach food...

    I'm curious about how and what you use? I mean, if you actually blend together multiple ingredients.

    I'll be making my own soon, and I've got a few ideas on what I'll be using. Here's a list of some of the ingredients:

    Chicken feed (un-medicated)
    Spirulina tabs (like for fish)
    Bee Pollen granules (been reading about this stuff...and it pretty much rocks lol)
    Dried oat meal

    Thinking about adding some sort of dried herb/veggy/green to the mix, and balance out the protein content a bit. There will also probably be some dry CGD mixed in the batch.
    3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl
    1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

    Kazzy's Kritters

    My iHerp Page
    Middle TN Exotic Pets Club

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    653
    Thanks
    166
    Thanked 55 Times in 39 Posts

    Default

    Ive used a mixture of cat food/dog food, protein powder, way powder, puff cereal, roach food, and a few other things as a basic food for them to eat. They've grown and bred for 18+ months on it so I'm assuming its alright. I would recommend the CAT food over the dog food because for a few months back I noticed that all my males wings started to get nibbled on, once I upped the protein the nibbling stopped completely.

    They also get the dried CDG dishes to clean out and veggies and fruits and things, they're roaches so whatever extra food I've got goes into the bin.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,726
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cinderbird View Post
    Ive used a mixture of cat food/dog food, protein powder, way powder, puff cereal, roach food, and a few other things as a basic food for them to eat. They've grown and bred for 18+ months on it so I'm assuming its alright. I would recommend the CAT food over the dog food because for a few months back I noticed that all my males wings started to get nibbled on, once I upped the protein the nibbling stopped completely.

    They also get the dried CDG dishes to clean out and veggies and fruits and things, they're roaches so whatever extra food I've got goes into the bin.
    Thanks! Yeah, I thought about adding some cat food to the mix.
    3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl
    1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

    Kazzy's Kritters

    My iHerp Page
    Middle TN Exotic Pets Club

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Austin Tx
    Posts
    629
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    So I started my roach colony just about a week ago or so and before doing so I read a lot into what to feed them. This is the best/newest article I read that I really feel like I took a lot out of.
    http://www.forums.repashy.com/diets-...tile-gout.html

    It mainly discusses the protein levels that roaches need and how its far less than previously thought. Im thinking about maybe using the bug burger from Repashy but until I make that decision, Ive been keeping the protein levels down for the roaches. Just mainly feeding them fruits and veggies. One thing Ive learned from a friends experience is that they cannot eat peaches. My friend totally wiped out her colony with one peach...
    Ive been looking for a list of things the roaches can and cannot eat to reference but I havent really found anything solid yet.
    Lots of Cresteds, a few Gargs, 1.0 Mainland Chew, 0.0.1 PI Chew, 0.1 U. Sikorae, and a 0.1 Red Tail Boa
    iHerp Facebook page Great Rhacs
    BOI thread

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Toledo Ohio
    Posts
    7,125
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 108 Times in 80 Posts

    Default

    Yeah thats the problem with cat and dog food, has more protein than is really needed for them.

    But yes I do blend my foods together, I use a coffee grinder. I did notice a feeding response when started feeding this way over a non fine food offer. It also allows for a better mixture, esp if youre trying to gutload them by adding in extra calcium and vits to the food.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,726
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Thanks! Yeah, I was worried about too much protein, that's why I was going over ideas of dry greens to add to the dry food (and of course they are given fresh fruits, veggies, and greens).
    3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl
    1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

    Kazzy's Kritters

    My iHerp Page
    Middle TN Exotic Pets Club

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,726
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJnTera View Post
    So I started my roach colony just about a week ago or so and before doing so I read a lot into what to feed them. This is the best/newest article I read that I really feel like I took a lot out of.
    http://www.forums.repashy.com/diets-...tile-gout.html

    It mainly discusses the protein levels that roaches need and how its far less than previously thought. Im thinking about maybe using the bug burger from Repashy but until I make that decision, Ive been keeping the protein levels down for the roaches. Just mainly feeding them fruits and veggies. One thing Ive learned from a friends experience is that they cannot eat peaches. My friend totally wiped out her colony with one peach...
    Ive been looking for a list of things the roaches can and cannot eat to reference but I havent really found anything solid yet.
    I just read through that article, VERY interesting. I'll be doing a good bit of research into the ingredients and such for my dry food.

    Odd about the peach thing...could have sworn I had given the remaining bits of peach on the peach pits to roach colonies a few years ago with no ill effects.

    Here's something else I just found too, any thoughts on it? http://www.roachforum.com/index.php?...id=16043&st=0&
    3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl
    1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

    Kazzy's Kritters

    My iHerp Page
    Middle TN Exotic Pets Club

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Austin Tx
    Posts
    629
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ReptileChick View Post
    I just read through that article, VERY interesting. I'll be doing a good bit of research into the ingredients and such for my dry food.

    Odd about the peach thing...could have sworn I had given the remaining bits of peach on the peach pits to roach colonies a few years ago with no ill effects.

    Here's something else I just found too, any thoughts on it? http://www.roachforum.com/index.php?...id=16043&st=0&
    That was a good read too. The more I read about roach food, the more Im thinking that Im just going to give fresh fruit and veggies every day and once a week offer something with some protein. Like the bug burger. Just enough for one feeding, then everything else be the greens and fruit. If I notice any problem with that then Ill up the protein feedings until I find the right schedual for them. I know the bug burger is an all around diet for them, but if they dont neeeeeed the extra protein, then I'll try to make it last longer.
    Lots of Cresteds, a few Gargs, 1.0 Mainland Chew, 0.0.1 PI Chew, 0.1 U. Sikorae, and a 0.1 Red Tail Boa
    iHerp Facebook page Great Rhacs
    BOI thread

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Toledo Ohio
    Posts
    7,125
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 108 Times in 80 Posts

    Default

    Bug burger is a good idea for those with small colonies...for people who keep on a larger scale like myself....geesh I would end up spending more to feed the roaches then it would cost to feed all my other reptiles per month! But for someone who keeps a smaller amount it works well.

    But thats why I like the chicken feed over the cat/dog food, not as high in protein, but still offers them some, but I also offer other dry foods, like I said lafabers finch pellet food is a big hit here, as are veggie fish flakes. I got lucky and found a HUGE bag of koi food marked down to $4 last month and they go crazy for it. I think outside of my bird, my roaches are the next most spoiled thing living here lol
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,726
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJnTera View Post
    That was a good read too. The more I read about roach food, the more Im thinking that Im just going to give fresh fruit and veggies every day and once a week offer something with some protein. Like the bug burger. Just enough for one feeding, then everything else be the greens and fruit. If I notice any problem with that then Ill up the protein feedings until I find the right schedual for them. I know the bug burger is an all around diet for them, but if they dont neeeeeed the extra protein, then I'll try to make it last longer.
    I tried something similar to this, and the males' wings were getting chewed from the lack of protein. I plan to offer the mixed powder, probably around 10-12% protein, then mostly dried veggies (fish food, algae wafers, etc). I found that my roaches don't touch anything that isn't ground up though, so that discussion was interesting.

    Quote Originally Posted by thongwedgie View Post
    Bug burger is a good idea for those with small colonies...for people who keep on a larger scale like myself....geesh I would end up spending more to feed the roaches then it would cost to feed all my other reptiles per month! But for someone who keeps a smaller amount it works well.

    But thats why I like the chicken feed over the cat/dog food, not as high in protein, but still offers them some, but I also offer other dry foods, like I said lafabers finch pellet food is a big hit here, as are veggie fish flakes. I got lucky and found a HUGE bag of koi food marked down to $4 last month and they go crazy for it. I think outside of my bird, my roaches are the next most spoiled thing living here lol
    I considered the Bug burger, but after reading about the protein and uric acid, I don't want to offer so much protein. The chicken feed and fish flakes/wafers will make up the majority of the dry mix, and mainly fresh fruits/veggies will be offered.
    3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl
    1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

    Kazzy's Kritters

    My iHerp Page
    Middle TN Exotic Pets Club

Similar Threads

  1. Roach food
    By 789 in forum RHACODACTYLUS CAGING & TERRARIUMS
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-22-2007, 06:49 PM
  2. Roach Colony
    By Sanskrit in forum RHACODACTYLUS CAGING & TERRARIUMS
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-12-2005, 07:30 PM
  3. Woo Hoo! I get to make the first food post!
    By Crested Lady in forum RHACODACTYLUS CAGING & TERRARIUMS
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-09-2005, 01:22 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •