Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Presidential Election Thread

Thanks

Default 2012 Presidential Election Thread

I don't know that Pangeans are a necessarily political group, but I hope some of you are starting to follow the activity leading up to the 2012 Presidential election. No matter what side you're on, you need to be involved and informed! You need to vote!!

As such, I thought it might be time to open a thread on the issue...?

I'm an independent by nature - fiscally conservative, socially liberal - so the last few elections have left me, more or less, choosing between the lesser of two evils (in my view). I don't really sway very far one way or the other, because for every issue where I agree with the left, there's usually one where I disagree and side with the right, and vise versa.

Now, in 2007 I was starting to do my background research on the candidates and was never really drawn to Ron Paul - he is older, doesn't really have that "presidential" look to him, he might not be the best speaker, and some of his ideas are a little crazy. Ok, real crazy, depending on who you ask . I never gave him much attention because I never saw him as a viable candidate, but there was something about the guy that interested me... maybe just because he was so "off" compared to many other candidates.

Well, over the last few years I've followed Ron Paul very closely and the more I learn, the more I feel like I can relate to this man. It's no wonder that I never paid him much attention earlier - the mainstream media refuses to do it, so most of us only know him as the batty old guy who rambles about his crazy ideas. This is sad but true.

I was very pleased when Ron Paul announced that he would, once again, run for the presidency in 2012. I'm even more pleased that based on his performance in the first two Republican primary debates and recent Iowa straw poll, Ron Paul is starting to get some air time...more people are talking and recognizing his viability. Americans are finally starting to get to know the man that many consider to be one of the most brilliant men in Washington.

Those of you who are not familiar can find out more about him here.

Just as an article published by the AP on Sunday states, I'm happy that Ron Paul seems to be battling his way onto the mainstage in this election:

Once a Fringe Candidate, Paul Shaping 2012 Race

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Ron Paul, once seen as a fringe candidate and a nuisance to the establishment, is shaping the 2012 Republican primary by giving voice to the party's libertarian wing and reflecting frustration with the United States' international entanglements.

The Texas congressman placed second in a key early test vote Saturday in Ames, coming within 152 votes of winning the first significant balloting of the Republican nominating contest. Rep. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota won the nonbinding Iowa straw poll, but Paul's organizational strength and a retooled focus on social issues set him up to be a serious player in the campaign.

"I believe in a very limited role for government. But the prime reason that government exists in a free society is to protect liberty, but also to protect life. And I mean all life," he told a raucous crowd on Saturday.

"You cannot have relative value for life and deal with that. We cannot play God and make those decisions. All life is precious," he said, opening his remarks with an anti-abortion appeal to the social conservatives who have great sway here in Iowa's leadoff caucuses.

Later Saturday, Paul won 4,671 votes, or roughly 28 percent of the votes from party activists who flocked to a college campus for the daylong political carnival

Paul's narrow second-place finish pushed former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty down to third, leading Pawlenty on Sunday to abandon his effort to challenge President Barack Obama next November.

Four years ago, Paul sought the GOP nomination while talking about economic policy, liberty and the Federal Reserve. Since then, the tea party has risen and seized on those issues, and some regard Paul as one of the movement's godfathers.

"The country's bankrupt, and nobody wanted to admit it. And when you're bankrupt, you can't keep spending," Paul said Thursday during a Fox News Channel debate.

He may lack the broad appeal that former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney or Texas Gov. Rick Perry are claiming, but Paul's finish Saturday indicated he could compete.

Paul typically does well in such straw polls, which rely on supporters' intensity and organization. His base helped him win straw polls at June's Republican Leadership Conference in New Orleans and February's Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington, and his followers organize online to ensure strong finishes at any contest they can find.

It is part of their effort to get rid of the notion that Paul is a fringe candidate.

Paul's 2008 campaign came up far short of better organized rivals. This time, his advisers are putting together a more serious effort that taps into voters' frustrations with Washington and the fears about the economy.

His aides are working within the system instead of against it. For instance, Paul's base camp for the Iowa straw poll was at the same location Romney used in 2007. Romney won that straw poll after investing heavily from his deep pockets for the prime real estate.

Paul's campaign notes that it won more votes this year than Romney won four years ago during his first bid for the GOP nomination. This year, Romney didn't actively campaign during the straw poll; instead, he is looking at a campaign launch in New Hampshire, which hosts the first primary after Iowa's leadoff caucuses.

Still, Paul finds himself outside the bounds of traditional Republicans. His opposition to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan defines him as a dove. His skepticism toward the Federal Reserve has spooked Wall Street. And his libertarian views on gay rights draw the ire of social conservatives.

He also tweaks Republicans on foreign policy, arguing it isn't the United States' role to police Iran's nuclear program or to enforce an embargo with Cuba.

"Iran is not Iceland, Ron," former Sen. Rick Santorum told Paul during Thursday's debate.

Paul also proves a reliable foil for Democrats.

"In previous presidential campaigns, we might have chalked extreme fringe-type candidates like Michele Bachmann and Ron Paul as an anomaly, (and) the Ames straw poll didn't mean as much," said Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida, chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee.

"But we're looking at the core of the Republican Party now. The heart of the Republican Party is the extreme right wing," she told CNN.

Paul, a 75-year-old doctor by training, is not backing down.

"These straw poll results, our growing poll numbers and our strong fundraising show that our message is resonating with Iowans and Americans everywhere," campaign chairman Jesse Benton said. "Our message was the same in 2007 as it is now in 2011, but this time we have quadrupled our support. That means our message is spreading, our support is surging and people are taking notice."
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Thanks

I say it's waaay too early to be thinking about this, lol. I'm a true blue dem, so it's an easy race for me

And if Bachmann wins, we are moving to Canada. I didn't think anyone could be worse than Palin, but I was dead wrong!

Thanks

I'm 100% opposite of Krystal.
    I'm Red all the way. Palin would kick ass.

-Wes
    4.3.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus - Yatè, Mt. Koghis, Rivière Bleue, purple Nuu Ana, Poindimiè
    3.2.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.1.0 Gekko gecko
    2.1.0 Python regius

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by that_girl View Post
    I say it's waaay too early to be thinking about this, lol. I'm a true blue dem, so it's an easy race for me

And if Bachmann wins, we are moving to Canada. I didn't think anyone could be worse than Palin, but I was dead wrong!
    When you say true blue dem, do you mean you'll vote for anyone who carries the democrat title?

I told my Fiance last night that if Bachmann wins we have to move to Canada as well. Our friends said the same thing about Obama, we scoffed them off and yes they're still living in the same exact house. But we don't own a home and have no kids, if she wins we will move to some other country (I think Brazil would be my first choice!) but here. Don't know how, but will put forth a lot of effort to do so.

I don't follow politics as closely as my fiance. But I see and hear the highlights, the moron of the day, etc. I listen to NPR in the car but I don't drive enough to make a difference. I don't claim any party, but I think I registered independent. I really don't care what side they're on, as long as they have good morals and I agree with their views, I'll vote for them. And will keep my fingers crossed they don't change when they get into office.
    Can you imagine a world where they would blur out our middle finger to protect a "consumer" over blurring out an innocent child to protect their integrity and privacy? - Pink
    My Boys!
    1.0 Flame w/Dalmatian Spots - Maynard
    1.0 Halloween w/Dalmatian Spots - Zero
    1.0 Betta fish - Mr. Red Balloon Hands

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elise.m View Post
    When you say true blue dem, do you mean you'll vote for anyone who carries the democrat title?
    If they were a total nutjob, then no I wouldn't. But I was raised a dem, and the party beliefs match very closely with mine. I've always felt that people should work together to take care of each other, not the one man for himself mentality. I am fortunate that I have the skills and abilities to take care of myself, but I know how many people out there can't because of disabilities they were born with, or acquired. I think a lot of republicans forget about all those people out there who simply can't take care of themselves.

If there was an independant who I liked, I'd vote for them, but I honestly don't see myself ever voting for a republican, especially now when their beliefs seem soo totally, completely opposite of mine.

Brazil would be nice too! One of my co-workers keeps talking about retiring there.

Thanks

I get to vote for the first this election which I'm really excited about! I'm also very liberal. If Palin heads into office I will be moving. I'm doing lots of research and am as of now going for Obama.
    ~Amber~
    "Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"
    Anyanka's Geckos
    RIP Willow, Darwin, Tara and Chai. I miss and love you all!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by that_girl View Post
    If they were a total nutjob, then no I wouldn't. But I was raised a dem, and the party beliefs match very closely with mine. I've always felt that people should work together to take care of each other, not the one man for himself mentality. I am fortunate that I have the skills and abilities to take care of myself, but I know how many people out there can't because of disabilities they were born with, or acquired. I think a lot of republicans forget about all those people out there who simply can't take care of themselves.

If there was an independant who I liked, I'd vote for them, but I honestly don't see myself ever voting for a republican, especially now when their beliefs seem soo totally, completely opposite of mine.

Brazil would be nice too! One of my co-workers keeps talking about retiring there.
    High-Five! My views differs with some topics with Democrats here and there, but over all I would rather side Dem than Rep. I think that's normal though, not every democrat will have the same view on abortion or immigration. There are some Reps that are ok. Boeher drives me up the wall sometimes though and is a huge deterrence to Reps for me.
    Can you imagine a world where they would blur out our middle finger to protect a "consumer" over blurring out an innocent child to protect their integrity and privacy? - Pink
    My Boys!

Thanks

Yeah, no one will ever find a politician they agree with 100% on everything. And the bottom line is, their job is to get elected. And they get paid by groups to get elected. It's not a perfect system, but it's what we've got.

I'm all for fiscal responsibility, which is a huge republican ideal. It may be the only one I agree with on their side. I just don't think anyone knows how to get it done, since the government has so much going on. Getting out of this 'war on terror' should help that though.

Thanks

So far, this thread makes me think of one particular quote:

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” - Winston Churchill

Good to see young people thinking ahead and getting involved
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Thanks

I hated politics when I met my Fiance. Now I don't seek them out, but won't turn the channel if it's on. I do like being informed, compared to my mom who has no idea about anything in politics and never votes. And not to mention, knowledge = power. Or at least the more knowledge you have, the more confident one can be.

My best friend is kinda into politics as well, I thought her source of getting into politics was interesting. The TV's at the gym she worked at! They always had fox news on and she would watch them out of boredom. When I heard that I wanted to screech to a halt in our friendship, but turns out not everyone who watches Fox gets brainwashed! Only 90% of them anyways.

And I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE John Stewart.
    My Boys!