Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poop! Worms or mango fibres? *warning - pics!!*

Thanks

Exclamation Poop! Worms or mango fibres? *warning - pics!!*

Splat (my male crestie) provided me with a nice big poop tonight but straight away I noticed 4 or 5 white string like things on it. Never seen anything like this before and my first thought was worms. However, on closer inspection the white things don't move and he also ate mango puree on Friday so I was thinking it was mango fibres rather than worms? I am taking the poop to the vets for testing tomorrow, but thought I'd post pics on here in the meantime. I opened the poop and there was nothing else inside it either.

This first pic I used the flash and you can clearly see several other smaller white strings on the poop.

The poop looks a lot like congealed mango puree, like when it sets in the viv.

This last pic is a close up of one of the 'things'.

Tiff - Chamelemum to Monty & Zippy, Crestie Mum to Splat, Buffie & Rusty and Leachie Mum to Armani!

Thanks

Those look like hookworms. Vet care is definitely in order. Also, remove any feeder insects from the enclosure, because they will feed on the poop to get the mango, and ingest worm eggs, which then go into the gecko again. Good luck!

Noelle

Thanks

Is it really bad? That is the first time I have seen anything like that. He last ate livefood two weeks ago as he's not that keen any more and it was a couple of locusts rather than crickets that he ate. I feed them live in a separate faunarium as I never leave any live food in with my lizards. I wondered if it was mango fibre as he ate almost a milk lid full on Friday - he's never been really interested in any food and that is the most mango he's ever eaten.
    Tiff - Chamelemum to Monty & Zippy, Crestie Mum to Splat, Buffie & Rusty and Leachie Mum to Armani!

Thanks

definitely some type of worm. Do you have a vet around your area that will do a herp fecal for you?

Thanks

Yes, definitely a worm. Medication will need to be used to get rid of them. It may be possible for you to just bring in a fecal sample to a vet and then they can give you meds based on that. Very important to get rid of them as soon as possible.

Thanks

You might also want to go get some Rubbermaid containers and quarantine your animals separately. If they are hookworms or roundworms, they will definitely spread to your other animals. You'll either need to treat them all or bring in a fecal sample for all. These aren't one of those 'harmless' parasites. The gecko cannot live very long with them. Sorry to scare you, but I'm really glad you're getting help! It's not mango fiber.

Noelle

Thanks

OMG! Its bad then. Could I lose him? I only have two which are housed separately on opposite sides of the room.

Thanks

If you take the poop to the vet to do a fecal exam, they should be treatable. Untreated, the worms will take over the gecko's organs, mainly lungs. You don't need to take the gecko itself for an exam, yet. I know the cost of having an animal examined can be daunting, although sometimes necessary. But the fecal shouldn't cost that much.

Noelle

Thanks

Money isn't an issue. I am scared for him. Last (and only)time I had my chameleon treated for worms she died within hours of receiving the drug. I am more scared and wary for my crestie than worried about the cost.

Thanks

So sorry about your cham! Sometimes, if there are enough worms, when the meds kill them they cause a blockage when they all leave the body. At that point there's not much you can do. This happens sometimes when dogs are found to have heartworms. The worms are easy to kill, but then they have to go somewhere. I wish you the best of luck with your gecko.