Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mediterranean House Gecko Diet

Thanks

Default Mediterranean House Gecko Diet

I've recently acquired several of these cuties, and I know they eat insects, but I'm curious if they would also eat CGD? I can't find too much info, so hoping someone here might now. Just some info on them:

I have 1.4 in a planted 10 gallon, but I'll be upgrading that, as it seems too small. They are doing well (been in there for about a week), eating Dubia nymphs and isopods.

I have 2 adult males, kept separately in small plastic containers on paper towels with climbing stuff (one guy is massive, and loves to bite...the other is actually quite calm surprisingly). I haven't notice the large one eating, but he's newer, and the other eats well.

I have 1 juvi. in a small plastic container, same set up as the adult males, and eats like a champ (was the first one I got).

I then have 6 itty bitty babies, 3 slightly larger in one plastic container, the other three in their own. These are difficult though. The slightly larger ones can take the smallest dubia nymphs, the 3 small ones can't. Luckily, isopod babies are freakin' tiny too, so I pick those out of my isopod tub and put them in a cap for them (incredibly difficult...when I say tiny..I mean TINY lol).

These are all wild caught at my mall. They've 'infested' the place, and sadly get caught in glue traps, or tenants in the mall kill them when they get into their stores. So I've decided to catch as many as I can to get them out of there. Either way, they are non-native, so it's for the best anyway that they aren't out there. Every Sunday night, after we close (close early on Sundays) I got out in the service areas and catch them (not the easiest thing to do...they are fast and fit through the tiniest of cracks in the walls). One of my coworkers is possibly taking one of the males, and I'll be rehoming any extra males, but am trying to set up a little breeding colony just for fun, plus I'm sure the exotics shop in the area would love some CB ones.

But, back to the original question...do these eat fruits in the wild? Would they even be interested in CGD? I'm thinking about offering it to them...

I'll try to get some pics, but being WC spazzy geckos, it's difficult haha!
    3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl
    1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page
    Middle TN Exotic Pets Club

Thanks

I've never heard of them eating anything but insects, which explains their affinity for lights. They are cool little guys. Spread like wildfire though. So I wouldn't think they would eat, but I could be wrong. Either way, they don't need it though.

Thanks

Thanks! I read a thread on another forum and someone said that they will eat it. I may see if they are interested.

They are neat! Cute little things, and yes...spread like wildfire lol! I'm enjoying them though, and my coworkers seem pretty amused to see the ones I catch.
    3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ReptileChick View Post
    Thanks! I read a thread on another forum and someone said that they will eat it. I may see if they are interested.

They are neat! Cute little things, and yes...spread like wildfire lol! I'm enjoying them though, and my coworkers seem pretty amused to see the ones I catch.

I had no idea they were found in Tenn.

If they eat it can you please let us know.

I feed the backyard bunch gut loaded meal worms a couple nights a week but would certainly add GCD if they ate it.

I find them much smarter than skinks or anoles as far as they actually know the area they are fed in and more or less the time as absurd as that may sound.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amaddox View Post
    I've never heard of them eating anything but insects, which explains their affinity for lights. They are cool little guys. Spread like wildfire though. So I wouldn't think they would eat, but I could be wrong. Either way, they don't need it though.
    Do you also have them in Texas?

Thanks

Sal, I'll let you know. Yes, they are in TN. These things, from what I understand, have populated a good bit of the southern states. They thrive at the mall too lol.
    3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sal View Post
    Do you also have them in Texas?
    They occur over most if not all of the state

Thanks

They cover most of the south eastern united states. They were introduced many years ago into Florida and spread via the truck routes to every state where they can tolerate the winter conditions; and since they are fantastic at adapting they have colonized most if not all human habitation allowing them to move into areas where they would typically not thrive due to colder climate. They are so ubiquitous now that they are included in all North American herpetology field guides.

There is no point in capturing them in order to remove them from a specific area (other than to keep the geckos from being killed) because where there was one H. turcicus there are 100 more that you didn't see hiding the in walls and ceilings.

I would be highly surprised if they would readily eat CGD, they are typically considered to be fanatic insect eaters. They are also known for biting and fleeing like a bat out of hell if you try to pick one up. Also, if you look at them the wrong way they drop their tails. One of the best way to catch them in the summer months is to dislodge them off their walls with a squirt gun. Juveniles tend to be seen more often inside buildings while adults are more likely to be found outside around bright lights at night feasting on hordes of insects.

Thanks

Thanks everyone as had no idea they were found outside of Florida and Ga.