Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help! ADVICE! GRAPHIC PHOTOS

Thanks

Default Need Help! ADVICE! GRAPHIC PHOTOS

Ok I have a friend trying to rehab this gecko, I feel horrible because I gave her a name of a vet off the herpvetconnection website, the Vet was a hack, told them that its calcium was fine, when it was already diagnosed with MBD from a different vet. Todays vet said and it has a vitamin A problem and they need to feed it carrot baby food and sweet potato baby food. It has stuck shed on it eyes which was why they were bringing it there, the saunas and qtips not working so I suggested taking it to a vet. There are no signs of calcium sacks in this geckos mouth at all. It has MBD, and is on rescue cal plus and now eating CGD not baby food which it was eating its whole life. But the vet today said there is not problem with calcium even though the tail is like a question mark with kinks and its pelvis shoots off to one side. She did something to the skin and now it looks horrible. I need help on how to make life better for this guy.

Please help me help Popeye.
    4.11.10 Crested Gecko (Flash,Nemo,Pip, Addie,Flip,Summer,Chip,FB,Teal, Sweetie, Slice, Star, Scuba, Brinx, Peach )
    2.0 Golden Retrievers (Dreamer,Catcher)

Thanks

OMG that poor guy looks horrific!

"she did something to the skin"- what did she do, exactly?

Is the gecko on antibiotics?

Is there any other herp vet nearby you might get a second opinion from?

Thanks

No the pink spots were not there the "Vet" did that. No antibiotics just told her to feed the baby food, carrot and sweet potato. I literally saw this gecko 2 1/2 weeks ago and besides the MBD it looked normal. I took it to a vet who knew nothing about reptiles and was even afraid of them and confirmed the MBD and told me to get it on calcium suppliments I got the rescue cal + and CGD and went to see the gecko a week 1/2 later and stuck shed so bad its left eye couldn't even pop up it was stuck inside its head and looked like solid white contact lenses. Then this week I go to see it and see this. They want me to take it but, my BF will not let me. I am still working on it but, I have 11 geckos and 4 hatchlings and 22 eggs right now. He will not let me get more. I am trying the "just let me get it better" route, we'll see but, I just need help for this little guy he is so sweet but needs so much help right now.
    Last edited by rizaroo; 07-08-2011 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Add text.
    4.11.10 Crested Gecko (Flash,Nemo,Pip, Addie,Flip,Summer,Chip,FB,Teal, Sweetie, Slice, Star, Scuba, Brinx, Peach )

Thanks

He looks like he is in a lot of pain. I'm not sure there is anything you can do for him at this point---it seems almost inhumane to keep him alive.

How terribly, terribly, sad.
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

there arent many things that can make me cry but this definately did it...im very curious to know what happened to him. this just made my stomach flip how horrible

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meg90 View Post
    He looks like he is in a lot of pain. I'm not sure there is anything you can do for him at this point---it seems almost inhumane to keep him alive.

How terribly, terribly, sad.
    Meg when I saw him today after the vet visit I said the same thing I can't believe the vet didn't put him down.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kristyheartshergeckos View Post
    there arent many things that can make me cry but this definately did it...im very curious to know what happened to him. this just made my stomach flip how horrible
    Started with FEEDING BABY FOOD! ARGH! Makes me so mad. Now he just keeps going down hill.

Thanks

its just so incredibly sad. what happened to make its skin like that?!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

When was the gecko rescued and what was it eating before?

An experienced herp vet can take off the eyecaps, but vitamin A does help with these problems of the skin and eyes. There will eventually be a Repashy Vitamin A supplement but until then you can use Repashy SuperVite for increased Vitamin A.

Remember that too much calcium CAN have an impact on vitamin absorption, especially Vitamin A. Make sure you aren't overly supplementing the calcium in rescues.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kristyheartshergeckos View Post
    its just so incredibly sad. what happened to make its skin like that?!
    I don't know the vet peeled some of it "the pink" areas. Said a lack of vitamin A caused it.