Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are leachies so expensive?

Thanks

Default Why are leachies so expensive?

I'm new to lizards among New Caledonian. But I absolutely love Leachies! I really am interested in getting one, but my gosh 400$ is outta my price range. Why are they so expensive?

Thanks

They are expensive due to hard to get ahold of, and breeding.
    Some animals dont produce a large number of clutches per year, and have low hatch rates.
    This is one of the many reasons things can be so expensive in the reptile world.
    1.0.0 Rose hair
    1.0.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.0.0 Cockatiel
    0.2.0 Parakeet
    0.2.0 Ferrets

Thanks

Supply and demand.

They are harder to produce (pairs fight, it takes a LONG time for leachies to mature and reach their full adult size 2+ years) and the hatchrate of clutches is lower than cresteds. Plus not as MANY are being produced as cresteds, so supply is low but the demand is still high thus the pricing.

Its offensive to ask a question like this IMO. You are new to the species and right away think you ought to get an animal for lower than market value, or be told why they should be so pricey.

If I went onto a ball pythons forum, and requested to be sold a cutting edge animal for half the rate, or suggested that it was "Too pricey" I'd get cooked.

A little googling could have circumvented this thread.
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

Not to mention, not all males and females are compatable. If they don't like each other they will fight to the death. But if they do they are concidered bonded for life.
    Its geckolicious!
    http://amreptiles.webs.com/

Thanks

I don't think the OP was trying to be offensive at all. I think they are simply wondering why. They never said "I want one and deserve to pay less" they are just interested in why they cost so much. I think it's a pretty simple question that had nothing else behind it but them trying to educated. I'm know when I see something that costs a lot I dont just shell out the money blindly, I do my research and find out why it's so much.

But to answer your question,
    Meg was correct, they are harder to produce, cost a lot to obtain in the first place and then you have to wait years for them to breed and there is still a chance they won't like eachother. It's not as easy as breeding rabbits
    Brandon Craig
    5.3.6.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    2.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus
    1.0 Rhacodactylus chahoua
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus leachianus
    Zero's Geckos

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meg90 View Post
    Supply and demand.

They are harder to produce (pairs fight, it takes a LONG time for leachies to mature and reach their full adult size 2+ years) and the hatchrate of clutches is lower than cresteds. Plus not as MANY are being produced as cresteds, so supply is low but the demand is still high thus the pricing.

Its offensive to ask a question like this IMO. You are new to the species and right away think you ought to get an animal for lower than market value, or be told why they should be so pricey.

If I went onto a ball pythons forum, and requested to be sold a cutting edge animal for half the rate, or suggested that it was "Too pricey" I'd get cooked.

A little googling could have circumvented this thread.
    I really don't think it's offensive at all to ask for help with something you don't understand. The person did not jump into someone's trade thread and ask them to sell them a gecko for half price or spit in someone's face. They expressed no outrage at the price. I really think your first two lines were all that was necessary.

A lot of people are drawn to Rhacodactylus and their surrounding forums by the cheap and easy-to-acquire crested gecko. Cresties are first-time reptiles for tons of people.

You know we get a lot of people who have no knowledge of the other species and they don't understand why people might take offense. I know you're all about "I will not spoonfeed you" but please don't jump on someone for asking an honest question where no offense was meant.

Thanks

Again, doing alittle research saves the whole forum from the same posts over and over, and all I did was search the word "expensive" in this forum.

http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...ight=expensive

I have no issue with people trying to learn about a species and the difference in pricing between locales, but to question why a group of animals as a whole is expensive, is, to me, insulting.

If you are even wondering why the price is high, the animal isn't worth it to you. To those that understand a species, chahoua, leachies, trachys, they would never suggest that someone lower their rate or question the market value in the first place.

Maybe the question was phrased badly (the one line to launch an entire thread?) but it did bug me, and I have every right to respond anyway I want, as long as its within the rules. Which the response was. I don't have to send along my opinions with a spoonful of sugar, and there are other members here who share the same philosophy.

400$ IS alot I'm not arguing, but the animals are worth it. There's always a little thing called saving up too--you may only have 150$ this week, but if you put that aside and add to it, in no time you have the amount you need.
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

This poor guy just asked a simple question, again never assuming they could get it or should get if for less. This person came to this forum to get help, not be harassed about not using the search button or told they are offending people by asking a simple question. What you said was within the rules but it still doesnt make it necessary

But to keep this on track I will say

Go to fauna and look at the geckos, every now and then illl see a leachie for like 275-300

Its not much better but every penny counts!
    Brandon Craig
    5.3.6.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    2.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus
    1.0 Rhacodactylus chahoua
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus leachianus
    Zero's Geckos

Thanks

I'm not harassing anyone, and its posted several times on dozens of other newbie threads that they should try the search function.

But perhaps this should stay OT.

Leachies are also more expensive because of the wide array of Locales, some being rarer than others, or getting larger and more impressive than others. More predominantly produced locales, and animals that are mixed, or have become unlabeled over time will be less expensive.
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

Please relax. I will ask nicely one time to not let this thread go out of control.