Thread: What are locales with Leachies?

Thanks

Default What are locales with Leachies?

I keep hearing all this info about isle of pines and crap like that with giants. Im a newbie so any info could help me as to what theyre talkin about! thanks!

Thanks

Well, leachie locales are definitely not "crap", and those who are very interested in leachies would find that statement offensive.

Leachies in the wild were collected in different habitats in New Caledonia. Those who collected them noticed differences in the locales, and therefore have worked hard over the years to keep these animals properly labelled and separated from each other.

There are around 10 locales, each has it's own unique traits.

Some of the more popular locales are:

Nuu Ana
    Nuu Ami
    Pine Island
    Bayonnaise
    Mt. Koghis
    Moro
    Yate
    Riviere Bleue

Those are only some of the locals I can think of off the top of my head.

Thanks

Check out Leapin Leachies photo gallery, he has a list of several of the locales as well as images for each: http://leapinleachies.com/pages/rhac-gallery.htm

Thanks

Ohh okay thanks! And I didnt mean any offense to the crap thing. Sorry!

Thanks

Sorry to hijack this thread but I am considering getting into leachies at some point. Right now it's just not feasable financially or with the space I have available. One thing I have been noticing more and more of is crosses. I dabbled in poison dart frogs for a time and that community is huge on no crosses. I think these geckos are beautiful and I just wonder what the appeal or benefit is to crossing these. Can anyone who has crossed these comment on this? Just interested and I mean no offense by this question what so ever.
    Thanks,
    Jason
    2.2.10.8 crested gecko
    0.0.1 gargoyle gecko
    1.2 cats

Thanks

Crossing locales is often done based on the visual appearance of the breeding pair, like color, patterning, or sheer size, OR it can be based on the idea of them having similar traits, or the potential for desired traits being passed on to offspring if they are paired.

I have a Nuu Ana Cross female---her grandfather was a high color male, and that male was produced by Don Hamper who lost his records in a fire so his locale was forgotten, and he became labeled as an "Unknown". All they knew was that the male, named "Pinky" sometimes called "Snow flake" was a highly patterned, highly colored individual who they thought would produce highly pattered babies.

I'm pulling some of these pics from Repashy, but Adam Leiberman posted these himself:
    Grandpappy (unknown cross "Pinky") You can guess which one he is

and Here are my Nymeria's parents (photos courtesy of Endre):
    Lieberman's high patterned male:

Pure Nuu Ana mom:

Nymeria herself at 22g (photo by Gekkonidazed geckos)

Hope all the visual aids help! But crosses are done for the same reasons anything else is paired to be bred, to improve the look of the animal. Often times it can be as simple a thing though, as two animals of separate locales getting along, as incompatible leachies will continue to fight if they are introduced to be bred.
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmciliatus View Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread but I am considering getting into leachies at some point. Right now it's just not feasable financially or with the space I have available. One thing I have been noticing more and more of is crosses. I dabbled in poison dart frogs for a time and that community is huge on no crosses. I think these geckos are beautiful and I just wonder what the appeal or benefit is to crossing these. Can anyone who has crossed these comment on this? Just interested and I mean no offense by this question what so ever.
    I have a Grand Terre x Nuu Ami cross.... he's still just a little guy, but usually the GTs are crossed with other locales for their size and the other locale's coloring. GTs are (last time I saw) the largest of the locales.

I won't know for at least another year or two whether or not this breeder accomplished what he set out for.
    www.iherp.com/babyyitslove
    1.2.2 Crested Geckos (Buttercup, Peanut, Brute, Spunk & Short Stack)
    0.0.1 Leachianus Gecko (Cloake)
    2.0.0 Ball Pythons (Genesis & Maximus)
    2.0.0 Tokay Gecko (Mystic & Xerxes)
    2.1.2 Leopard Geckos (Yoshi, Trio, Guido, Hatch & Tiny)
    2.0.0 Uromastyx Lizard (Godzilla & Nara)
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Sancho)

Over run by Convict Cichlids!
    "Patternless cresties are highly underrated,... Just sayin'."

Thanks

Some of the more popular locales are:

Nuu Ana
    Nuu Ami
    Pine Island
    Bayonnaise
    Mt. Koghis
    Moro
    Yate
    Riviere Bleue
    Also to add to the above some time ago a book was written and in this book the authors did not want to give away the locations of what kind came from what island so they put down code names of the islands. Such as "Island E". Later it became known what the names of the islands they came from are, but some people still refer the local by the code name. So if you see, for example, Island E that is the same thing as Moro. Silly and confusing, I know, but the authors had good reasons, they did this because of the fear of smugglers and a way of keeping the locations of them secret.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.