Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How is eco earth?

Thanks

I read about the impact problem of Eco Earth as well so only used it in my drop box. My girl loved it and used it with no problems. but i did noticed a couple days after her first drop some weird poop. I opened them up and it is solid Eco Earth that thankfully she passed..... She is alive as of now but who knows.... I'm pulling the stuff now.

Thanks

i mixed a bag of jungle mix with some eco earth and liked it but im not a fan of using only eco earth because it tends to mold on me
    0.1.0 R. Ciliatus Aussie 12X18X20
    0.0.1 R. Auriculatus 12X12X18
    1.0.0 Blue Tonge Skink Lennie the Lounge Lizard
    0.0.2 Dwarf Puffer
    1.0.0 Cats
    1.0 Black Lab/Springer mix Jack
    0.1 Labro-doodle Molly
    If you have a question and you dont know what the answer is, Search before you post!

Thanks

So eco earth IS safe? I've read a fair bit of negatives on it, though I won't be feeding any live insects on it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
    So eco earth IS safe? I've read a fair bit of negatives on it, though I won't be feeding any live insects on it.
    Depends on your opinion of it. I haven't used it in probably 8 years or so and won't use it anymore on my animals. Everyone has their own opinion. Try it or another substrate and if you don't like it, chalk it up to a learning experience and change it out. For all that you read on the Internet, the only way to learn for yourself is to try it.

Thanks

Default Eco Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
    I want to get off paper towels for my 1 year old crestie, but I've decided I don't want to worry about live plants just yet, I will add those later on. I do however want a natural look, and eco earth seems promising. I've read about some impaction issues? I don't put any crickets etc in her tank so I don't think she would eat any(Plus, you can't nerf the world right? I'm pretty sure geckos don't live on paper towels in the wild). I'm also wondering if I could add in some form of bug's to help digest her poop. Would I be able to do this with just eco earth? Also what kind of things could be added? Earthworms, pill bugs?
    Thanks for any opinions!
    I've kept my leopard gecko on eco earth for about a year now with no problems. You can always buy a bog of it that's already dry and then spread it all out. It's especially fun watching them dig around to get comfortable. I do suggest putting any food in a bowl or take your gecko out if you feed it crickets. I have done research where I took fine sand and eco earth and added the same amount of water and left it over night and the eco earth didn't absorb and of it while the sand got clumpy and stuck together.