Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is eco earth?

Thanks

Default How is eco earth?

I want to get off paper towels for my 1 year old crestie, but I've decided I don't want to worry about live plants just yet, I will add those later on. I do however want a natural look, and eco earth seems promising. I've read about some impaction issues? I don't put any crickets etc in her tank so I don't think she would eat any(Plus, you can't nerf the world right? I'm pretty sure geckos don't live on paper towels in the wild). I'm also wondering if I could add in some form of bug's to help digest her poop. Would I be able to do this with just eco earth? Also what kind of things could be added? Earthworms, pill bugs?
    Thanks for any opinions!

Thanks

Pretty sure Eco earth is that crushed coconut stuff. I don't like it. It dries unevenly, sticks to the animals, etc. Seem to get it in their eyes and noses and mouths. I use jungle mix or organic soil. With the jungle mix you can sift it to remove larger chunks. It is a fir/peat/sphagnum mix. I use it in most of my tanks and have had zero issues. Just wouldn't put babies on it.

Thanks

I use eco earth. I like it... although as stated above, it does dry funky and tends to stick. All of my babies are on it...including all the cresties, tokays and pythons. They do good on it. No issues so far and the decomposition of the poo works out pretty well with it. I have live plants in three eco earth tanks and they thrive in it. You could also use a mixture of substrates. LECA balls, filter,all natural potting soil, and a layer of eco earth on top. Just a matter of opinion.
    Edit: and yes mosses are safer, just not sure how compatible they are with live planting.
    Last edited by BabyyItsLove; 07-07-2011 at 10:31 PM. Reason: and yes, mosses are better. just not sure if theyre compatible with live planting.
    www.iherp.com/babyyitslove
    1.2.2 Crested Geckos (Buttercup, Peanut, Brute, Spunk & Short Stack)
    0.0.1 Leachianus Gecko (Cloake)
    2.0.0 Ball Pythons (Genesis & Maximus)
    2.0.0 Tokay Gecko (Mystic & Xerxes)
    2.1.2 Leopard Geckos (Yoshi, Trio, Guido, Hatch & Tiny)
    2.0.0 Uromastyx Lizard (Godzilla & Nara)
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Sancho)

Over run by Convict Cichlids!
    "Patternless cresties are highly underrated,... Just sayin'."

Thanks

I've used dried coco fiber in my snake tanks without a problem. I really liked the way it looks but it was more cost effective to buy it in compressed bricks, but it was a real pain expanding it in water then drying it. Moist substrate is not good for the species I keep. =/ So I eventually switched to aspen, as it's easier and cheaper.

That said, I'm not sure what it would be like in a crestie tank, since the misting would re-wet it. I don't think impaction would really be a concern so long as you're not throwing feeder insects into the tank; otherwise, the crestie might go for an insect and get a mouthful of coco fiber, or any other substrate you might put in there.

Soil and bugs to break down waste, without live plants to then recycle the broken down waste? I'm not sure how that would work.

[ 2.0 Kitteh ][ 1.1 Corn Snake ][ 0.1 Crested Gecko ][ 1.0 Gargoyle Gecko ][ 1.0 Ball Python ][ 1.0 Costa Rican BCI ][ 0.1 Leopard Gecko ][ 0.1 IJ Jag Carpet Python ]

"It'll be a walk in the park... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me." -Lt. Col. Sheppard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by foxe View Post
    I've used dried coco fiber in my snake tanks without a problem. I really liked the way it looks but it was more cost effective to buy it in compressed bricks, but it was a real pain expanding it in water then drying it. Moist substrate is not good for the species I keep. =/ So I eventually switched to aspen, as it's easier and cheaper.

That said, I'm not sure what it would be like in a crestie tank, since the misting would re-wet it. I don't think impaction would really be a concern so long as you're not throwing feeder insects into the tank; otherwise, the crestie might go for an insect and get a mouthful of coco fiber, or any other substrate you might put in there.

Soil and bugs to break down waste, without live plants to then recycle the broken down waste? I'm not sure how that would work.
    True, I suppose I would have to wait until I get some plants I can put in it before adding bugs. @BabyyItsLove - So you just put the plants into the eco earth? No soil?

Thanks

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Eco Earth and use nothing BUT it!! I highly recommend it!
    Dana
    Custom Backgrounds & Terrariums/Tanks www.danasdesigns.weebly.com
    3.4.3.4 Cresties, 0.2 Corn snake, 1.1 Kitties

Thanks

I've got Eco Earth in my humid hides/layboxes and no issues with it. I do notice that all my cresties tend to go take a bath in their water dishes after they've been inside digging around- so I would recommend providing a large enough water bowl for them to do this.

And springtails are the bugs you're thinking of that will eat gecko poop (and spilled CGD). It's a good idea to provide them with some leaf litter to eat also, especially if you aren't going to add live plants for a while (they help keep plants clean, too). You can order springtails online from places that sell supplies for dart frogs. Josh's Frogs is one place I know of that usually carries them.

Thanks

How can I make a drainage layer for use with live plants?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
    How can I make a drainage layer for use with live plants?
    I use hydroballs or gravel usually.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amaddox View Post
    I use hydroballs or gravel usually.
    Does it matter how large the gravel is? And is anything else needed(I've heard of people using water falls taking water from the drainage or something O-o)?