Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "China Genetically Modifying Cows To Produce Human Breast Milk"

Thanks

Love where this thread is going, it's nice to see some open minds out there! And ive learned a bit from reading your guys' posts.

As long as its safe, I don't see anything wrong with it, outside of the fact that I still think that it is unecessary for adults to drink milk in societies where we have access to so many other food sources. If we can at least provide a healthier option to children that can't recieve breast milk from their mothers, I see it as a good thing. But I still say no thank you, and as soon as I can find a delicious alternative to cheese, I plan on giving up dairy as much as possible.
    Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
    :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jazmjo View Post
    "Too few consumers know and understand what "genetically modified" means. Normally, plants obtain their traits through selective breeding and crossing of desired parents. GM takes traits from foreign material (plants, animals, humans, bacteria, viruses) and inserts the new gene into the DNA using laboratory methods.
    Yes, but I think they are making a lot out of a little. It's hard to find something that does anything, and expensive. Generally these changes are made to accomplish one goal, i.e. I want this tree a to not die from this rust fungus x. This other tree b is not susceptible to rust fungus x because of this thing. I used this virus to take dna from tree b to tree a and I hope it works.

Except for the guy who made the glow in the dark bunny. That was just for and . Or maybe for stuff like this
    Although biotech corporations such as Monsanto are granted patents on their genetically modified seeds because they are different, the FDA considers GM foods "substantially equivalent" and does not require food manufacturers to disclose that these ingredients are from genetically modified sources. They are "substantially" different enough to patent, but not to disclose to consumers who trust the FDA to provide them with information about food and to assure their safety. Neither is happening when it comes to GM foods.
    It's pretty easy to get a patent for a plant. It's done with naturally produced cultivars all the time. I'm not defending Monsanto, they use a lot of F1 hybrids that will never reproduce for their products to keep people coming back, and it generally seems like a dick move to me. Then again if you don't want it in the first place maybe thats not such a bad thing.

Consumers are also unaware of the growing body of evidence that show health and environmental concerns. Because independent studies are not allowed in North America, and biotech corporations don't release their tests due to patent infringement, governments and consumers are unable to see what those exact tests are; only the biotech corporations findings. But new diseases and health issues are continuing to surface, leaving questions as to why GM foods are not examined more carefully.
    First off citations (from peer reviewed sources if you please) or it didn't happen. European stuff should be easy to come by and the developing countries as well. Google scholar is your friend. Please name diseases and health issues linked to these foods or I will lump them into the "toxins" category that diets like to throw around but never seem to define. There are new diseases all the time, and new health issues all the time. Correlation is not causation though. See the vaccination and autism arguments. And fo' real real VACCINATE YOUR KIDS. Sorry. Tangent. Another thread, another time

Also the FDA does a good job with what it does examine but it doesn't do near enough, I will agree with you there. I'd like it to go after a lot more (of everything), along with the EPA. Unfortunately I'm afraid that certain members of congress that belong to a certain party with strong feelings on government spending and taxes would never let that happen. Not naming names, thats a discussion for another time and place. Preferably somewhere far far away from me. Sorry. Tangent.

Environmental concerns of GM cross contamination and "volunteer" plants escaping and growing outside of fields and boundaries are also a potential threat to natural habitats and wildlife."
    Here we can also find a certain amount of agreement.... kinda. I'm not worried about most genetic modified crops getting out. By now they are so far from the originals there is not a "wild-type" to infect really. Two things that do worry me are fish (esp. salmonids, those get out to easy) and hogs (cats out of the bag on those in regards to them going feral). Hogs are a big pain in the rear to eradicate too. Fun story though, there are investigations currently to bio-engineer a hog that will eventually breed itself to eradication. The hog would produce sterile females but fertile male offspring. Let them breed in the population long enough and problem solved, no more pigs running around in the wild.

Plus other invasive species are doing a good enough job of eradication already. Look at brown tree snake, feral pigs,Cogon grass, kudzu, etc

-natural news
    *original to mean* This source has an obvious bias. Most mainstream stuff is terrible at science reporting due to wanting to make headlines. You might check out Science Daily as they go from the peer-reviewed stuff. My favorite spot for this type of thing.

Thanks

The original drinker of milk must've lost a bet. It comes from cow boobs for gawdsakes!
    We're gonna need a bigger boat.

Thanks

Aweseome. I love milk. Breastmilk can't be bad either lol

Thanks

The last thing I have to say about this topic is that my family and I will continue to try and avoid gmo products. I urge others do do the same unless you really feel safe drinking human breastmilk from a cow (they did it by using a genetically modified embryo injected with human genes) and eating foods that grow faster and are somehow now pest free (think about what your putting into your body- it's not just corn anymore)

@Tiger cowboy: We obviously don't see eye to eye on this matter, or a few other things you mentioned- oh well. This is a forum I enjoy coming to about geckos so I am dropping out of this subject now to avoid any conflict.

Thanks

jazmjo: I agree. This forum focuses on geckos and reptiles and that's what I come here for. However, topics like this strike a nerve with me as I have a fair amount of scientific training and when I see something like this that deserves more observation and discussion rather than a blanket denial and monsterization (or acceptance for that matter) that may or may not be deserved.

If one of the other things you mention that we don't see eye to eye on is vaccination, this is a thing that I feel extremely passionate about. The proponents of vaccination are almost every doctor in America and the world over. The most vocal opponent of vaccination are a playboy bunny and a doctor who had his license revoked by the medical board for making up data, and a lack of ethical standards that endangered children. These people have essentially murdered or maimed children through disinformation and deserve to stand criminal trial in my opinion. If you want more information please PM me or start a new thread and I will be glad to address it there with relevant scientific studies.