Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "China Genetically Modifying Cows To Produce Human Breast Milk"

Thanks

Default "China Genetically Modifying Cows To Produce Human Breast Milk"

There was some interest in this topic in another thread, so to keep that thread on topic, I'm opening this up for discussion here.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/chin...k-20110608-ncx

Pretty amazing that we can do this, but it's not something I'm interested in trying. Milk, to me, is gross, period. And I'm a huge cheese lover, but breast-milk-cheese just sounds dirty.

Edit: and another news article, gives a little more info. I'm looking for something more substantial.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_1...-10391704.html
    Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
    :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Thanks

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

^ AGREED ^
    I think I'll pass...

Thanks

Weird. I can't help wondering how it would taste with oreos. ;P

Not sure I understand the point, really. Okay, so apparently it's more nutritious, but surely that could be accomplished without making a cowperson hybrid? That's just creepy..

[ 2.0 Kitteh ][ 1.1 Corn Snake ][ 0.1 Crested Gecko ][ 1.0 Gargoyle Gecko ][ 1.0 Ball Python ][ 1.0 Costa Rican BCI ][ 0.1 Leopard Gecko ][ 0.1 IJ Jag Carpet Python ]

"It'll be a walk in the park... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me." -Lt. Col. Sheppard

Thanks

Are you kidding?! a cowperson hybrid would be freaking awesome. A cow that could milk itself. It would be problematic though, It could create a new class that could sell it's byproducts rather than work for a living.

Thanks

It is wrong on so many levels! Genetically modified anything is not good for you people!!!! Also now that these cows have part human dna are we now going to be susceptible to diseases that only cows used to get???!!!?? If it comes here to America boycott it! Don't drink it! Human women produce human breast milk.

http://www.naturalnews.com/031952_genetically_modified_cows_breast_milk.html

Thanks

personally i think its amazing we can do this. Not that i want it for my kids or future children. But if you think about it, my girlfriend was unable to breastfeed. Formula is great but breast milk is better. I think the fact people can do this is just mind blowing. Who is that damn smart?
    Brandon Craig
    5.3.6.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    2.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus
    1.0 Rhacodactylus chahoua
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus leachianus
    Zero's Geckos

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jazmjo View Post
    It is wrong on so many levels! Genetically modified anything is not good for you people!!!! Also now that these cows have part human dna are we now going to be susceptible to diseases that only cows used to get???!!!?? If it comes here to America boycott it! Don't drink it! Human women produce human breast milk.

http://www.naturalnews.com/031952_genetically_modified_cows_breast_milk.html
    Woo! I think somebody might have over-reacted by 5-6 exclamation points. That link as well.

First off I'm gonna disagree that genetically modified anything is bad. Unless you are foraging for your food everyday (unlikely) you are technically eating something that has been genetically modified. It's called domestication. Takes a long long time but the effects are similar. Also these genetic modifications are seen in strains of various crops to different affects such as drought-resistance, disease and parasite resistance, and increased production. If these had not been produced, and continue to be produced, a whole lot of people would currently not exist.

I will not say that they are without risk. I will say that I believe that the risks tend to be overblown by an alarmist media when most changes are rather small. Some stuff I completely disagree with, such as heavily engineered fish that could destroy the wild populations and the ecosystem should they escape. That is not what is going on here however.

I will not disagree that human milk is better. There is a large amount of research to prove that. It's better for a huge number of reasons that are not currently understood, hence could not be replicated. There are also a large number of benefits to the immune system that a cow would be unlikely to be able to pass on as the pathogens protected are restricted to humans.

There might be a kind of fuzzy logic to the humans getting cow diseases. It is known that pathogens can hybridize in animals susceptible to different forms of disease usually specific to a given taxa (the bird flu that continues to not kill us all could be disastrous if it was able to hybridize with a human flu in a pig, and then go back and infect a human). But lets be honest about the chances here. It's about the same as being attacked by a shark and a bear in Nebraska. Also something to remember pasteurization is a heck of a thing that would kill a lot of these diseases that you are worried about before the milk is consumed. If you don't like pasteurization (and I get the feeling you might not) I'd suggest looking here. Seriously, it's a good idea. A topic for another day though. I'd also think that the cows are in a lot more danger for a human disease than vice-versa, we are dirty dirty monkeys after all.

As already pointed out there are a lot of women unable to breastfeed for a variety of reasons. There are also a lot of babies unable to digest human milk, also for a variety of reasons. A substitute might not be bad.

Also the article I have found are all mass-media, who are chronically terrible about reporting scientific results. The more balanced seeming stuff I have found says "human like" NOT human. It's also unclear how it was done and what "human-like" even means. A few added proteins a human milk does not make.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chockablock View Post
    Are you kidding?! a cowperson hybrid would be freaking awesome. A cow that could milk itself. It would be problematic though, It could create a new class that could sell it's byproducts rather than work for a living.
    LOL! Quite literally. Or more likely CUOL (Cracking Up Out Loud).

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Cowboy View Post
    First off I'm gonna disagree that genetically modified anything is bad. Unless you are foraging for your food everyday (unlikely) you are technically eating something that has been genetically modified. It's called domestication. Takes a long long time but the effects are similar. Also these genetic modifications are seen in strains of various crops to different affects such as drought-resistance, disease and parasite resistance, and increased production. If these had not been produced, and continue to be produced, a whole lot of people would currently not exist.
    I agree, that genetically modified is not necessarily a bad thing. Wouldn't bananas be consider that? Since we've somehow made them seedless. I tried looking it up on Wikipedia, but it only mentions that they're a hybrid, not how they were developed. It does mention, however, that the current type of banana sold in most places may be in danger of leaving the shelves due to difficulties with diseases attacking the plants, so now some programs are in place trying to genetically modify a banana to be disease resistant.

Actually, thinking more on that, I'm sure I've heard of more genetically modified foodstuffs, made to be disease or pest resistant, though I can't think of them right now.

[ 2.0 Kitteh ][ 1.1 Corn Snake ][ 0.1 Crested Gecko ][ 1.0 Gargoyle Gecko ][ 1.0 Ball Python ][ 1.0 Costa Rican BCI ][ 0.1 Leopard Gecko ][ 0.1 IJ Jag Carpet Python ]

"It'll be a walk in the park... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me." -Lt. Col. Sheppard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by foxe View Post
    LOL! Quite literally. Or more likely CUOL (Cracking Up Out Loud).

I agree, that genetically modified is not necessarily a bad thing. Wouldn't bananas be consider that? Since we've somehow made them seedless. I tried looking it up on Wikipedia, but it only mentions that they're a hybrid, not how they were developed. It does mention, however, that the current type of banana sold in most places may be in danger of leaving the shelves due to difficulties with diseases attacking the plants, so now some programs are in place trying to genetically modify a banana to be disease resistant.

Actually, thinking more on that, I'm sure I've heard of more genetically modified foodstuffs, made to be disease or pest resistant, though I can't think of them right now.
    Bananas are a fun example. The ones in the supermarket are heavily modified to be HUGE. If you have seen a wild-type banana they are tiny. Also all the bananas in the world are so similar genetically that one good pathogen would kill them all.

Apples are another fun example of a funky foodstuff. They have the opposite problem of bananas in that they have way to much genetic variation! Two trees from seeds from a single fruit will have completely different fruits themselves. One might be good but be purple. The other might look apple like but taste like the most bitter thing you have ever tasted. The commercially available apples are all cloned by grafting limbs onto new trees. Not exactly genetic modification but there are some parallels.

A few genetically modified crops are cotton, rice, tomatoes, corn, sorghum, and potatoes. Animals that have been genetically modified are monkeys, fish, pigs, cows, goats (they have been bred to produce spider silk proteins in their milk!), rabbits (somebody made a glow in the dark bunny!), and chickens. There are a WHOLE LOT more though on both counts.....