Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenyan sand boa?

Thanks

Question Kenyan sand boa?

Ive come across the kenyan sand boa, due to meg90's post.
    And i fell in love! Someone on Cl has offered to trade me a baby, and im really interested. im reading up. . . . ALOT, and dont have that great of a setup in mind. I was thinking a 10 gallon with 2-3 in. of sand, half log, water dish, and plant. Is this ok? And i have this really nice 12x12x12 tank. would that work for a baby, and then i graduate to a 10 gal?

the baby is young. so its not all that big, a few weeks old.
    But im already liking them so much. Can any of you help me out with setups?
    id love to see some. and opinions on substrate? sand, aspen, newspaper?
    oh, and do they take well to F/T

thanks in advance.
    cannot wait to hear from you.
    1.0.0 Rose hair
    1.0.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.0.0 Cockatiel
    0.2.0 Parakeet
    0.2.0 Ferrets

Thanks

I use the finely shredded aspen for mine with great success. It sticks together enough so that they can make tunnels through it. My boy will not take f/t though the girls will
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

Ok, and as for size?
    would a 12x12x12 work for a baby, and as he gets older, upgraded into a 10, then 20 gal. long?
    1.0.0 Rose hair
    1.0.0 Cockatiel
    0.2.0 Parakeet
    0.2.0 Ferrets

Thanks

I prefer regular play sand for them. 3 to 5 inches of sand will do. Even if aspen holds burrows, you will be destroying them daily if you are checking for urate or feces like you should be. It can also over dry the skin. I prefer a heat lamp above and the snake can thermo-regulate by moving up or down in the sand column.

You could use a 12x12x12 for now if you really want. If it is a male, 10 gallon should be fine for an adult assuming you don't just want to upgrade him. If it is a female, I would use a 20 gal.

Most switch to f/t very easily. A few here and there will not switch, which isn't a huge issue since they never really get large enough to eat rodents that cause a lot of damage to them. Most tend to eat fuzzies or possibly small hoppers. It is mainly the convenience issue of having to get live rodents each week for feeding.

Thanks

My little boy was eating f/t or live with his previous mom, and I tried to feed him a f/t mouse the night I got him, to no avail (he was too stressed from shipping I spose, but I like to give them the option.) I didn't get discouraged though, and I tried again on Friday, and WHAM he had that f/t fuzzie in his maw, and down his burrow within seconds!

He's a little guy, but the force behind his strike surprised me! Even with his small size, I'm going to try and avoid being bitten lol.

I have him on finely shredded aspen with a heat pad, and a little ceramic waterdish, a torn TP tube and that's it. I'm using a medium exo terra breeding box, and I'm almost wanting to upgrade him to a large--

He has little tunnels going all over the tank (I just lift it up and check from the bottom for urine/feces as well as combing the bedding weekly before I feed him)

He's settled in wonderfully, and I just adore him--he does his bean sprout impression during the day, all I see poking up is his little adorable mug.

I wouldn't suggest something so square though, seeing as you want a shape that will allow you to have a heat gradient---maybe go and pick up a critter keeper? I also wouldn't do a 10gal right away. That much space for a 5-7g baby sand boa will overwhelm it.

Zileansweets looks little, but he's already 40g--

This shows my setup pretty well

Congrats on getting a baby though! I'm on the lookout for a female high black snow paradox to be Zileansweets' mate one day They seem really hard to find which is why I am starting to look now haha.
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

Yes meg, that is basically what I do with mine as well, though mine in a large flat 17l very useful box. It makes it really easy to find them, you just pick up the box and look for the snake tummies! I have several and just separate to feed. and no meg, you can't have Snow, who is snow heavily paradox girl ;D
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

OOOOoooooh! Rox take some pics of her for me pretty please! That way I can still drool over her! You can even pop em in my "can has sandboa pics" thread

Will you have any snow paradox babies this season?
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

Thanks everyone.
    for now im going to keep it in the zoomed.
    but im thinking im going to just get him a shallow bin.
    These guys are surprisingly easy to care for
    Ive set up a day late next week to pick him/her up, and im suppperrr excited
    thanks again for all the help. Im going to the pet shop for crickets today, and i may end up buying a kritter keeper, or exo terra breeding box.
    1.0.0 Rose hair
    1.0.0 Cockatiel
    0.2.0 Parakeet
    0.2.0 Ferrets

Thanks

Hey Meg,
    Is it okay to have a heating pad on one of those exo terras?
    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Thanks

Yeah its totally fine---they actually have little "feet" on the bottom so the pad isn't resting directly on the plastic, but seeing as you can heat regular old sterilite bins with the same element and they don't warp or melt (bins are softer plastic) I don't see why not.
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook