Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: What Do Ya Think?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JackTheCrestie View Post
    While I agree with some of your post here, there was a point where the OP asked for information on breeding and where they could get the best information. We don't know what will happen, but that was the time to inject positive information on breeding technique, like incubating at 70 degrees to improve structure, or holding back the best hatchlings to refine the traits/morphs.

Also, she may have accepted criticism a little better if at first people weren't all over her with "don't breed, you're too young, etc...."

I have a 13 year old daughter, she has 4 White's Dumpy Tree Frogs, she has had them for 3 years now, when we got them they were eating crickets, now they eat pinkie mice... she wants to breed them. So I am making her do all the research before I will even consider it. We have a petstore that has already said they would buy every baby that is produced.

The point I am getting at here is, if my 13 year old daughter is willing to do all the work, and has been taking care of these frogs since she was 10, why can't this 13 year old do the same, they have already said they have their parents support and money was and is not an issue...

So lets help and make sure that they get the best information possible for the best outcome possible... FOR WHAT THEY HAVE to work with.
    The point here is you as a parent are on board with what your daughter is doing in regards to breeding/being interested in breeding.
    I personally have not seen evidence that the OP's folks are on board with her plans to breed, or that they have read anything on these forums.
    And another thing that has me a bit mystified: according to the OP's early post, she was planning on waiting until she was out of school and in college to breed, yet now, she's planning on it in next year or so? Whats the hurry?
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Milford, Nebraska, USA, Earth, Milky Way Solor System
    Thanks

Saille:
    I said that I wanted to have a small business now, and get bigger when I'm out of college.
    3.3.3.0 Crested geckos
    0.1.0.0 Leopard geckos

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xuniet View Post
    That was my sister who said the male gecko was lovely. I apologize for her... Forwardness. I even told her not to say that. So sorry. And yes, I know his structure isn't perfect, and I guess I didn't mention this, but I am going to try to incubate at lower temps for better crests, and selectively breed, of course. I CAN accept flaws, and I know he's average. So is my female. I know, but I just can't afford anything else.

Once again you point out the money thing, and if you want to breed and potentially have a small business in the future you need to have the money to not only produce but house and feed all of the animals. This is the longest thread I have seen in awhile, and many of them are people opposing you breeding, why won't you listen? And talking with many breeders, most do not make money unless you are like the sandfire ranch's of the world...

Milford, Nebraska, USA, Earth, Milky Way Solor System
    Thanks

I wanted some advice on how, if he was average, to selectivly breed for better babies.
    3.3.3.0 Crested geckos
    0.1.0.0 Leopard geckos

Thanks

You would want a better structured female to balance out his traits. You would also want to incubate at those lower temps previously mentioned in this post.

Just because you've two geckos with the patterns you want but not good structure and incubate at those temps won't guarantee good hatchlings. It might help, but gecko genetics are not a science.

Thanks

It's either between that gecko or a full pinned…but I want the gecko shown in this thread the most. If the owner of this one on the thread doesn't ever reply…it's the full pinner.

Thanks

If you buy him don't breed him. I personally would not buy that gecko for breeding. He's nice but not my taste.
    Megan
    My iherp
    Facebook
    Many crested geckos, 0.1 leachie, 1.1 boas, 2.1 cats, and 0.1 dog. Oh and one amazing husband and one precious little boy!

Thanks

aw very cute!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pookiebuttons View Post
    If you buy him don't breed him. I personally would not buy that gecko for breeding. He's nice but not my taste.
    Like you said, not YOUR taste... doesn't mean others don't find him to be an attractive gecko.

I won't say do or do not breed geckos... Just make sure that if and when you do breed geckos, that you educate yourself well, and prepare, save money... so on... Realize the expenses of housing, feeding, vet bills ... so on.

As far as what the geckos you are breeding look like, well it's completely up to you. If you like them, and can find people who can give them good homes when you end up with too many babies to handle, then go for it. You can't rely on incubation temps to give you nice geckos, they still take the genes from their parents. So make sure you are stoked on the parents that you choose to breed.

Just make sure you think about every aspect of it before jumping in. There's no rush Enjoy them as pets for a while first.