Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1 "PetCo find" down.....=0(

Thanks

sorry to hear about your experience, but the stories about big chain stores are countless. some associates actually do know what needs to be done, but corporate policy forbids them to change husbandry practices. and the black stomach isn't always crypto. it could be a sign of fatty liver disease or impaction as well. i have over 250 leos and they get zero crickets. i breed my own feeders that include dubia, lats, superworms, and mealworms. i know on a small scale that's not completely practical, but i know where my feeders are coming from and what they are fed. i have never had a single leo get crypto. i like to vary my diet, but some breeders use mealworms as an absolute staple with no issues at all. proper gutloading and supplementation however is very important. i use repashy supercal plus icb to dust my feeders at every feeding.

oh and some advice on your new leo, make sure you quarantine it properly before introducing it to any other geckos. i would also make sure that you disinfect your hands after handling it before attending to any other reptiles that you own. better safe than sorry...
    Hi, my name is Shawn, and I'm a Reptileaholic...

www.NightGlowGeckos.com

Thanks

non chain pet shops keep reptiles even worse than petco or petsmart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AeroWRX View Post
    I've actually seen better 'mom and pop' stores than chain stores, because they usually get in it for the love of the animals. Then again, I worked for one that was down right awful and I tried my best to clean it up...but they wouldn't take the advice I offered.
    3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl
    1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page
    Middle TN Exotic Pets Club

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ReptileChick View Post
    I've actually seen better 'mom and pop' stores than chain stores, because they usually get in it for the love of the animals. Then again, I worked for one that was down right awful and I tried my best to clean it up...but they wouldn't take the advice I offered.
    It is hit or miss, one local shop buys some of his cresties from a local breeder, (The breeder is where i got my two juvies), As far as the other animals, I have no clue. There is MRP for sale and used in cages, they also sell the day gecko mrp, so you know they know the difference.
    1.1 R. Leachianus
    0.0.1 R. Chahoua
    1.1.2 R. Ciliatus
    Along with Uroplatus, Eurydactylodes, Phelsuma and Leopard Geckos

Thanks

Experience has taught me to NEVER buy baby leos ANYWHERE, particularly pet stores. They are cheap and easy to breed so of course pet chains will get the bad ones.

Fortunately, around here the Petco I frequent was actually telling people not to buy baby leos because they were so bad looking. The south store actually used to carry fully grown females.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AeroWRX View Post
    your kidding right? of course there is gonna be bad ones out there but the greater percentage is going to keep them much better than any chain store will. I cant eve describe the horrors ive seen in some chain stores. and yes i have seen some very bad ones as well but ive never gone into a chain store and even been remotely satisfied with the way their reptiles are kept and cared for. All the petcos in the area around here do to their district manager have removed all decorations from all the reptile cages except for a half log and water dish. he told the employees the reason for it was we are trying to sell animals not run a zoo customers need to be able to see them.
    Revolution Reptiles

6.16.Lots Rhacodactylus ciliatus 2.4 Rhacodactylus leachianus 1.2.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus 1.1 Nephrurus Deleani 3.1.2 Paroedura pictus 0.0.2 Phelsuma grandis 1.1 Salamandra s. salamandra 0.1 Tribolonotus gracilis 0.0.1 Teratoscincus kyserlingi 0.0.9 Different Dendrobates. And a Few more

Thanks

Ours both had purple little bellies.
    Some say it could just be their organs showing through their transparent bellies?<-- T or F?

Anyway.. We have our LITTLE leos on meal worms, as we are trying to start up our dubia colony before feeding off of it too much.
    Even when we tried to give them dubias... they had a hard time catching them. Especially my adult leos... they like to lick before they eat, and everytime they lick, the roaches run away and hide. It's just an epic fail... and pretty frustrating.

My little babies from petco are both housed separately. We don't intend on housing them with others.
    www.iherp.com/babyyitslove
    1.2.2 Crested Geckos (Buttercup, Peanut, Brute, Spunk & Short Stack)
    0.0.1 Leachianus Gecko (Cloake)
    2.0.0 Ball Pythons (Genesis & Maximus)
    2.0.0 Tokay Gecko (Mystic & Xerxes)
    2.1.2 Leopard Geckos (Yoshi, Trio, Guido, Hatch & Tiny)
    2.0.0 Uromastyx Lizard (Godzilla & Nara)
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Sancho)

Over run by Convict Cichlids!
    "Patternless cresties are highly underrated,... Just sayin'."

Thanks

Pinching off a few of their legs will slow them down. (not sure if your up for that (: )
    thats how I slow down crickets for my guy, i just pop their jumping legs off.
    1.0.0 Rose hair
    1.0.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.0.0 Cockatiel
    0.2.0 Parakeet
    0.2.0 Ferrets

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patternless crested View Post
    Pinching off a few of their legs will slow them down. (not sure if your up for that (: )
    thats how I slow down crickets for my guy, i just pop their jumping legs off.
    Lol. Never even thought of that. Sounds like a plan!
    www.iherp.com/babyyitslove
    1.2.2 Crested Geckos (Buttercup, Peanut, Brute, Spunk & Short Stack)
    0.0.1 Leachianus Gecko (Cloake)
    2.0.0 Ball Pythons (Genesis & Maximus)
    2.0.0 Tokay Gecko (Mystic & Xerxes)
    2.1.2 Leopard Geckos (Yoshi, Trio, Guido, Hatch & Tiny)
    2.0.0 Uromastyx Lizard (Godzilla & Nara)
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Sancho)

Over run by Convict Cichlids!
    "Patternless cresties are highly underrated,... Just sayin'."