Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *GRAPHIC* 3 week old deceased Chahoua fetus (egg split)

Thanks

Default *GRAPHIC* 3 week old deceased Chahoua fetus (egg split)

Posts like this are never fun, but I have never seen pictures or information on the development of a Chahoua fetus so I wanted to share for the sake of education. On 5/20/11 I went into one of my mainland pairs' tank with the intent to clean, pulled up a plant and out dropped ONE egg onto the ground. I was not expecting eggs from this pair and oddly, the female laid only one.

Because of the situation above, I had no idea how to position the egg in the Super Hatch and had to make an educated guess and hope for the best. Well, tonight I did an egg check and found red/bloody tears in the egg and lots of white fluid leaking out. As I gently scooped away some of the Super Hatch to get a better look, the egg basically broke open exposing the fetus and interior.

Below are pics of an (approx) 3 week old Mainland Chahoua fetus:

Again, these pictures are intended for educational purposes only. Difficult loss but this was a weird egg from the beginning so I did not have huge expectations. Unfortunate, none the less
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Thanks

Thats crazy. Its sad too, but interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

Sorry you lost the baby! It's fascinating to see though, thanks for sharing the pics.
    1.1.0 E. agricolae

Thanks

Amazing. o.o It even has a little tail! Very interesting pictures. Thanks for sharing!

"Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong...because sometime in your life you will have been all of these."

Thanks

What a horrible thing to happen, yet it is really interesting to see. I'm sorry that this happened to you, it would be really hard to see this but it's hard not to be fascinated by it.

On that last picture, the back of the head -- is that calcium sacks? Already? (BIG EDIT HERE: lol nope, I think they are reflections of the lights!) And those eyes, so big! And I love how you can see his tail, already long and curling in. Really Chahoua looking.

Thanks

poor little thing. it is interesting, thanks for sharing. normally fetuses gross me out, but that one is kind of cute. it actually looks like what its turning into.
    Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
    :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Thanks

I agree with the others, sorry for your loss. accidents happen. and how very interesting.
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tauni View Post
    On that last picture, the back of the head -- is that calcium sacks? Already? (BIG EDIT HERE: lol nope, I think they are reflections of the lights!)
    Those were two small teardrop shaped marks on the back/base of the neck...not quite sure what they were, but they're not from the lights. Calcium sacks would be my best guess.

Good catch.

Thanks to all for the kind words.

Thanks

I know this may sound morbid.. but.. that fetus looks really cute? I'm terribly sorry for your loss- but rarely do we get to see such on the forums! Usually its almost totally developed but mutated babies. Thank you.

I find that last photo really really interesting. I mean that early on? Wow. The eyes really just blow me away here. They're just so large. Are there 4 separate legs starting to sprout out of the body? Or is it just back feet I see?
    The name Stella fills me with dread.
    Mondegreen Geckos
    >iHerp >Facebook

Thanks

Four feet with toes, tail was very well formed as well, as you can see in pics. I was shocked to see just how much it resembled an adult at just 3 weeks old.