Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When Superworms become beetles....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IndyCrestie
    Oh dear I hate flying insects and I have (for the first time ever) a 2 - 3 week old container of thriving superworms right now. I need to start feeding them off!
    Don't panic, you probably won't get to see them fly. It's rare, they prefer to run away but can fly if they must. That first one I saw flying was on my arm, jumping wasn't an option so he flew away, hoping to find a safer place. Another one flew because the cat found him walking on the floor and was blissfully torturing him in the manner that only cats find fun. I'd say 4, max 5 times I've seen a beetle fly in about 10 years of having them around. I easily have 100 beetles per year, maybe 125, so that's a very low percentage that did take to the air.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher.

Thanks

I take the pupae out of the mealworm container and hatch them in a seperate container. I take the beetles out and keep them in a third container. I give them water gels in the mealworm and beetle cups. Like I said the beetles came out half formed, the back end under the wings still looking like a pupae

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silly-atus
    Superworm (Zoophobus) beetles have that disgusting odor they use as a defence. The only reptiles I've ever witnessed eating them are the garbage cans - beardies. They eat anything, can't have any taste buds

That's the info I was looking for! I did notice the weird smell and yeah, since three hungry lizards spit it out I assumed there was something to it. Thanks for the info!

Thanks

Ok, just a short crash course.

Superworms (also known as kingworms), are the larval form of a type of stinkbug beetle (hence the stinky fluid that the worms excreete and the beetles use as a defence mechanism by spraying, excreeting, or spitting which makes them taste aweful, just a neat note but certain types of butterfly like monarchs also produce nasty tasting scents, excreetions or chemical compounds). Most varieties of bug eating reptiles won't eat the beetles but seem to seek out the worms avidly. Dragons are the apparent exceptions in as far as eating the beetles is concerned, most of the time.

Mealworms and kingworms are different in that the mealies are easier to propagate than the kings. Kingworms will not pupate into their adult form while in physical contact with other worms. They must be separated, without food (for some reason, I have found that the pupating worms from my colony pupate more efficiently with fewer to no losses when kept separated without access to food during the process. It also leaves the compartments clean for reuse )

Mealworms, on the other hand, aren't that picky. Keep them fed and watered and they do their thing regardless of contact or lack thereof with their wriggly counterparts.

Neither variety of the adult forms has the ability to bite. Both CAN fly but usually don't. I keep, For the sake of sanity and my pocketbook , colonies of both varieties plus dubia roaches, hissing cockroaches, mice and rats as feeders/treats for my 3 beardies, 9 cresties, and 2 Tocay. thinking about adding crickets to that list as well....
    PLATO- Iguana Iguana~ SHIN (F) & IGGY(M)- Pogona Agaminae~BB, BEAUTY, ECHO, BLAZE, LUNAR, SOLAR, HIRO, HERCULES & LADY CHANTILLY- Correlophus Ciliatus

Dubia roach colony~Madagaskan Hissing cockroach colony~King/Superworm colony~Mealworm colony~Rats~Mice