Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snake musk? :o

Thanks

Default Snake musk? :o

I've heard that sometimes snakes will discharge "musk" when scared or frightened as a defense mechanism, and that it smells really bad and is really hard to get off. How bad is it? What's the worst snake musk you've ever smelled, and what exactly did it smell like? Just wondering.

Thanks

I've only smelled it once and it was bad. It was a garter snake though. It wasn't hard to get off though. It smelled almost like dead flesh to me?
    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Thanks

Depends on the snake since each species has a different smell. I can't stand kingsnake musk. It's disgusting. Ribbon and water snake is pretty bad too. Copperheads and cottonmouths smell sickly sweet almost. I have actually found cottonmouths by smelling them before I could see them.

It's pretty easy to get off assuming you aren't in the field. Last one I got musked by in the field, I washed my hands with sobe life water and that took care of it. Had sticky hands though.

Thanks

Yes, it's a pretty common thing actually. Yes it does stink, but it comes off with soap and water pretty easily (I don't have a great sense of smell so maybe I just don't smell it as much). I've never been musked with a fish scent, maybe just haven't handled enough fish eaters though.

The worst I remember was a wild coach whip but he was also the first I was ever musked by. It might not actually be so bad if I smelled it again but like so many things in life: you never forget your first.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Cowboy View Post
    Yes, it's a pretty common thing actually. Yes it does stink, but it comes off with soap and water pretty easily (I don't have a great sense of smell so maybe I just don't smell it as much). I've never been musked with a fish scent, maybe just haven't handled enough fish eaters though.

The worst I remember was a wild coach whip but he was also the first I was ever musked by. It might not actually be so bad if I smelled it again but like so many things in life: you never forget your first.
    Ehhh coachwhips, or as I call them, nastycophis, tend to be pretty smelly. I had one tail spray me a month or two ago. Shot all over my shirt and jeans.

Worst was kingsnake musk that shot into my mouth though. Bad bad bad.

Thanks

What exactly did the musk smell like though? I'm having a hard time "picturing" the smell. Or is it too hard to describe?

Thanks

It just smells bad, and as people have said it varies. It's not hard to get off, and if a snake does it at first they usually grow out of it after they get used to you handling them. It's just a part of owning a snake -- and better than getting bit, I think xD I'd rather be musked on by a corn than grabbed by it, even though it doesn't hurt too much to be bitten. It's just scarier -- but there's not much scary about pee. Unless you get it in your mouth, that sounds so gross!

Thanks

I'd say rotten eggs and sulfur.... more on the rotten eggs though. It's really one of those things that's hard to explain.

Thanks

Been thinking about it since I saw the thread. I would have to also say that rotten eggs and sulfur describes it best.
    I did not mind it so much after the first few times and it was always easy to get off.
    I think 5 species of geckos is enough! Lets not talk about the snakes!

Thanks

Getting musked by a 13ft male Burmese has been my worst experience ever with being musked by a snake. Specially since I had the tail close to my chest I was drenched in it. This thread just reminds me of it lol.

And it does have a sulfer smell to it.
    Reptiles R Taking Over!

My iHerp

My Facebook