Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caramel Calico PI Chahoua

Thanks

Default Caramel Calico PI Chahoua

Picked up this fine PI specimen at the NARBC Tinley show as a little baby in '09. I've never seen a chahoua with this unique coloration-CALICO! I had no idea that he would be this color, though I was shown a photo of his dad which is similar but not as much caramel coloration. Now I just need to find a nice PI lady for him.

NOT fired up gotta work on that!

Thanks

He's beautiful, what a hefty boy.

But please, do not assign misnomers like "calico" to chahoua. That is a whole can of worms that has yet to be opened with this species, and there really is no need for "morphs" because there is no standard variation as there is with cresteds, or cats, or horses. Even clutchmates usually look dramatically different from one another.

I've yet to see two chahoua that really look the same at all, and that's part of their charm.

He also looks pink to me, not caramel I love pink chahoua.
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

Soooo, if someone says they have a "red" chahoua, or a "high white" chahoua, its ok..but if I call my unique chahoua caramel calico..its a sin??? Its simply another way of categorizing color..not morph. There IS a difference...

Its all in the eye of the beholder! You see pink, I see caramel. I own the animal and I've never seen him fire up pink. Its a very prominent caramel coloration. My camera isn't exactly professional equipment and obviously I didn't use a light box..so...

Anyway, glad you like him! He's very laid back-the most friendly of all my chahoua

Thanks

Calling him caramel is totally fine, maybe the camera or my computer monitor is making him look pink to me.

High white is a trait, as red is a color. Calico is what is irrelevant. I've seen chahoua with that pattern before as well---I'll link pics later.

No two chahoua are exactly the same. They are as unique as we are, and its just not feasible to start "morphing" them with new patterns and even colors still cropping up.
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

Yes as I said his FATHER has the same pattern but less caramel coloration-a bit more greens..so I don't need a link for proof or whatever. Not a newb to rhac keeping and am more familiar with morphs, locales and colors of all the species and subspecies that the average Joe. So no further explanation needed, thanks!

He's caramel calico...there are more "calicos" out there... life goes on! It is what it is. And that's what he is! He isn't one of a kind, I never said that, but definitely unique among the species.

If you want a baby caramel calico next year, hit me up

Thanks

very pretty (doesn't look pink at all on my screen )
    Gargoyle Gecko 3.1.2, Pygmy Mice (lots)
    Darren http://www.iherp.com/pennhillszoo

Thanks

I'm confused as to what part of him is calico? Unless he isn't fired up here and those lighter patches turn whitish? Because by a color definition, Calico is a white base with black and orange/ginger coloration on top.

But I know nothing about Chewie colors. He does look like caramel though- I mean (at least on my monitor) just like the candy. Tastey! Lol
    The name Stella fills me with dread.
    Mondegreen Geckos
    >iHerp >Facebook

Thanks

Yah, I'm not seeing any pink on my screen either, it looks tan to me, but I agree that I would not call this a calico. The term calico is associated with orange, black, and white in cats; at least two of those colors don't appear present in this gecko in these pics (it may be a little orange but it could be the pics), and there is also some green which doesn't factor into the term calico at all. Adding the word "caramel" into the mix just kinda confuses the calico part to me.

It is a very beautiful animal though, I really like the green stripe on the back and would love to see fired up pics.

Thanks

Hes a nice looking guy
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

Damn hes neat looking. Personally I see why hes being called a calico he has patches of color over a base of a distinct different shade. If you look up calico you will see many different variations of. I find this one to most remind me of a calico goldfish pattern.

Also because we don't have a definitions of morphs for chewies its safe for people to make descriptions of animals in a few words. This is HOW we got morph definitions in the first place. Someone came around and said 'this is a harlequin crested gecko' it sold as that and it stuck. Personally, I don't see how a harlequin pattern at all fits the morph but its what we all call it. I think calico fits better in this case than harlequin fits in the other.
    See harlequin pattern here...
    pattern

My .02 anyways.

BTW I really like the green dorsal markings. Who knows if you can get it to pass on, you may be able to breed a striped chewie! That would be cool.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.