Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Freakin' Petsmart!

Thanks

Default Freakin' Petsmart!

Does this sound bass-ackward?

Were we aware that Petsmart will sell you a snake, but WON'T sell you a mouse to feed said snake? The chain only sells "fancy mice" for pets. If a clerk is aware that you intend to use it as a feeder, they're not supposed to sell it to you. When I asked the kid that was working there how they fed the baby balls, he excitedly said "we DO sell frozen pinkies". I just didn't wanna get into it....

Thanks

I don't really see what's so bad about a chain store actually doing something CORRECT for once, and encouraging people to feed F/T rodents instead of live.

A pinkie mouse isn't exactly proper food for any size ball python though, hopefully they carry things a bit larger than that as well.
    www.Gracious Geckos.com
    Specializing in (but not limited to) R. auriculatus!
    Facebook!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MistyC For This Useful Post:

CollieMonster (03-21-2014),leaveittoweaver (04-06-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mistyh View Post
    I don't really see what's so bad about a chain store actually doing something CORRECT for once, and encouraging people to feed F/T rodents instead of live.

A pinkie mouse isn't exactly proper food for any size ball python though, hopefully they carry things a bit larger than that as well.
    Correct how? Just curious....

Thanks

I don't know why anyone would buy the live mice from them anyway, unless you're just desperate. Too expensive for a snake meal. Though, so are their frozen mice. I wouldn't buy any sort of feeder from them.

[ 2.0 Kitteh ][ 1.1 Corn Snake ][ 0.1 Crested Gecko ][ 1.0 Gargoyle Gecko ][ 1.0 Ball Python ][ 1.0 Costa Rican BCI ][ 0.1 Leopard Gecko ][ 0.1 IJ Jag Carpet Python ]

"It'll be a walk in the park... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me." -Lt. Col. Sheppard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by radera View Post
    Correct how? Just curious....
    Correct, in that feeding live can be dangerous for the snake. There's always a chance the rodent may injure the snake. It's best to only feed prekilled, to avoid injury.

[ 2.0 Kitteh ][ 1.1 Corn Snake ][ 0.1 Crested Gecko ][ 1.0 Gargoyle Gecko ][ 1.0 Ball Python ][ 1.0 Costa Rican BCI ][ 0.1 Leopard Gecko ][ 0.1 IJ Jag Carpet Python ]

"It'll be a walk in the park... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me." -Lt. Col. Sheppard

7. The Following User Says Thank You to foxe For This Useful Post:

CollieMonster (03-21-2014)

Thanks

Correct, in that feeding live can be dangerous for the snake. There's always a chance the rodent may injure the snake. It's best to only feed prekilled, to avoid injury.
    You are correct...But that wasn't my point...They shouldn't be selling snakes AT ALL if they have a "problem" with what they eat.
    I don't know why anyone would buy the live mice from them anyway, unless you're just desperate. Too expensive for a snake meal. Though, so are their frozen mice. I wouldn't buy any sort of feeder from them.
    Agreed...My wife was at the craft shop next door and I only needed one mouse. I thought it would be one less stop on a day of too-many errands...

Thanks

Yeah I agree. I called Petco one time looking for feeders and they said they didn't sell them. But I was just in there last week and some lady was buying mice for feeders, so it may depend on who you get. But it's possible they've changed their rules about it.

IMO, there is no right or correct way to feed an animal. Each animal is different. Some won't eat live, some won't eat dead. Some are even more pickier than that. It's all individual to the snake/reptile, just like our tastes are unique to us.
    Can you imagine a world where they would blur out our middle finger to protect a "consumer" over blurring out an innocent child to protect their integrity and privacy? - Pink
    My Boys!
    1.0 Flame w/Dalmatian Spots - Maynard
    1.0 Halloween w/Dalmatian Spots - Zero
    1.0 Betta fish - Mr. Red Balloon Hands

Thanks

Yeah I agree. I called Petco one time looking for feeders and they said they didn't sell them. But I was just in there last week and some lady was buying mice for feeders, so it may depend on who you get. But it's possible they've changed their rules about it.
    Petco doesn't have the same policy. I've purchased many feeders from them in the past.
    BTW, I hate Petco. Only in an emergency.......

Thanks

The petsmart near me sells frozen "mice" in groups of four in the freezer where they keep bloodworms/brineshrimp for the fish. I say "mice" because the one time I bought a pack, they were barely fuzzies/small adults, way overpriced for the size, and when I opened the package they were rotting.

Got a refund and refuse to buy mice from petsmart. I use a local, independent store.

Thanks

Its nice to see them educating snake buyers and helping to prevent injuries like this:

www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Misskiwi67 For This Useful Post:

CollieMonster (03-21-2014)