Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I get rid of gnats in my cage?

Thanks

Sooooo, basically I'm stuck with gnats. NOoooooooooOOoo!!! Letting the tank try out is not an option. I'd rather have gnats then have poor humidity in my CG setup. Maybe I'll try switching out the food more often as stated above.
    Formerly known as eel588, new name same great taste!

Thanks

Whatever you do, so NOT put fly paper/tape IN the gecko tank, that could lead to some potential serious issues (I would not want to try and remove a gecko from that stuff!)! I've heard of people making fly traps using monster energy drink. Try searching gnats, I seem to remember some old threads with people talking about various ways to eliminate them. Good luck!
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

Yeah tape and reptiles do not get along. I have seen many horror stories with simple duct tape taking off skin, fly tape is much worse.
    Formerly known as eel588, new name same great taste!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saille View Post
    Whatever you do, so NOT put fly paper/tape IN the gecko tank, that could lead to some potential serious issues (I would not want to try and remove a gecko from that stuff!)! I've heard of people making fly traps using monster energy drink. Try searching gnats, I seem to remember some old threads with people talking about various ways to eliminate them. Good luck!
    They definitely love Monster energy drinks...I drink those a lot, and have to put something over the top to keep from getting a mouth full of gnats...ick!
    3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl
    1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page
    Middle TN Exotic Pets Club

Thanks

If they're fruit flies, which I have a huge problem with, they're after the CGD. They will lay eggs in any little speck they can find, even in the substrate. Even if you're changing it enough to keep eggs from hatching, the adults will come running (flying) every time you put a new dish out. They come in on just about any fruit you purchase, especially bananas. Washing doesn't help because they just fly off, then come back. they are the most proficient breeders on earth, which is why they're used in labs.
    Nobody has a safe way to totally get rid of them, I've discussed this with many dart frog breeders. You just have to 'manage' their numbers.
    If they are gnats, just ignore everything I just said. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eel588 View Post
    Sooooo, basically I'm stuck with gnats. NOoooooooooOOoo!!! Letting the tank try out is not an option. I'd rather have gnats then have poor humidity in my CG setup. Maybe I'll try switching out the food more often as stated above.
    ...good grief...

Welcome to gardening 101, you just got the bug version of weeds in a flower bed.

Since you mentioned that you only have them in the set up with the potted plants, that pretty much means its gnats and not fruit flies. Fungus gnats lay their eggs in moist soil, and then the larva will feast on both dead plant matter and plant roots. As long as the soil remains moist, they will continue to breed.

Now with that said, the good news is that they are harmless. Even with them targeting the plants roots, any healthy plant will easily be able to survive them.

The bad news however is that if you have them for more then a month or so then you really need to let your soil dry out more between watering the plants.

So with that said, what is the soil mix, and how much drainage do you have in your potted plants?

Ihkura is correct though, the easiest solution for you will be to simply let the soil dry out. Two weeks or so is enough in most cases, sometimes less depending on how small the pot is. Just remember that the goal is to let the soil dry out, not bake the plant. So don't leave it in 100 degree heat without water for two weeks.