Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: living terrarium??

Thanks

Default living terrarium??

Hi

Well i've used the search function but i don't really know what to type in to find the info i need. I'm sure there are topics about them and if you just give a link i would be really happy, and you don't need to type way to much.

So i've been reading a book and it has a section about decorating your terrarium/paludarium/what-ever-they-call-it-arium. I've always liked the look of living terrariums but i can't let natural light in the room where i keep my vivs. The reason is that the sun heats up the vivs way too much.
    So i was reading and i always assumed living terrariums need uv light, which is expensive and should be replaced every 6 months (i think). The book says the plants can grow under TL lighting, which is in my budget range. Is this true?(1) The book also says that some of them work better than others.

So if that is true, what plants could i use(2)? And what sort of background and substrate(3)?
    What maintenance does it need(4)? And are special organisms needed to clean up the poop for you or something like that(5)?
    Also i was thinking of using a exo terra terrarium, the glass ones with the screen top, is this a good choice(6)?
    Does a living terrarium need a water part or is the drainage layer under the substrate enough(7)?

*I have put numbers in red after each of my questions so it's easier to respond.

Thanks.

Thanks

I use 6500K lighting. That spectrum covers all that most plants need with out needing to get into the the actual UV lights.

Help maybe more readily found here. Its a new forum but put on by Pangea. http://www.diyherp.com/forum.php
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

I forgot to mention that i'm not good with plants so i'd like to have plants that grow easy and don't die within days if you do something wrong.

Thanks

Just found an helpful link by the plantmasters topic. I think pothos and Sansevieria trifasciata would be the best choices for me. I also like the terrarium moss but i wouldn't know how to use this in a vivarium.

And ofcourse i have still got many questions unanswered in the original post.

Thanks

Okay after a lot of research i only have troubles with question 5.
    What bugs do i need? I know earthworms mix and air the substrate and those rollie polies clean up the poo. Would these 2 species be enough to keep the vivarium bio active? Would this make me maintenance free on the soil part? (except the spot cleaning that the bugs can't clean)
    Also the rollie polies are easy to see if they are still there but how can i know if all my earthworms are death? And wouldn't my crestie eat all the bugs and go of the cgd?
    really could use some help here....

Thanks

You need to go to the forums where all of the vivs are naturalistic. Try Dendroboard and Dartfrogz. Just be aware that the people there are very 'holier than thou' and will tear you a new one if you haven't fully exhausted the search function before asking your questions. I use those boards for reference only really, I don't like the people there so I don't post much. Yes, I own a few dart frogs and yes, ALL of my vivs are naturalistic. I culture the springtails and isopods, they aren't big enough for your geckos to bother eating them. You don't need earthworms, just springtails and isopods.
    You don't have to be a green thumb to keep in viv plants alive if you set it up right. The cf 6500 bulbs are super cheap and you can get them at HD, Lowes, or by the 8 pack at Costco. They are a standard size screw in so they fit in all the Zoomed or Exo hoods. I find that closed hoods (I use Exo hoods) trap a lot of heat in so I raise mine up about 2-4" above the top of the tanks. The plants in my tanks grow like nutso and I really just ignore them. All my lights are on timers and I mist 2x a day. My tanks all have water features in them though, you might have to water 2x a week to get good growth. The bugs and the poo take care of fertilizing the plants.
    The zoo
    3.1.0 R. Auriculatus, 1.0.0 R. Chahoua PI, 0.0.3 T. Corticale, 1.1.0 peacock reed tree frog, 1.1 gray banded king snakes, 0.1 snow corn snake, 1.0 beige chinchilla, 1.0 boxer, 1.0 French bulldog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleSG View Post
    You need to go to the forums where all of the vivs are naturalistic. Try Dendroboard and Dartfrogz. Just be aware that the people there are very 'holier than thou' and will tear you a new one if you haven't fully exhausted the search function before asking your questions. I use those boards for reference only really, I don't like the people there so I don't post much. Yes, I own a few dart frogs and yes, ALL of my vivs are naturalistic. I culture the springtails and isopods, they aren't big enough for your geckos to bother eating them. You don't need earthworms, just springtails and isopods.
    You don't have to be a green thumb to keep in viv plants alive if you set it up right. The cf 6500 bulbs are super cheap and you can get them at HD, Lowes, or by the 8 pack at Costco. They are a standard size screw in so they fit in all the Zoomed or Exo hoods. I find that closed hoods (I use Exo hoods) trap a lot of heat in so I raise mine up about 2-4" above the top of the tanks. The plants in my tanks grow like nutso and I really just ignore them. All my lights are on timers and I mist 2x a day. My tanks all have water features in them though, you might have to water 2x a week to get good growth. The bugs and the poo take care of fertilizing the plants.
    Thanks for the help. I'm European and the isopods are native to where i live but before this forum i never even heard of springtails so i wouldn't know where to get them. Do you know any other bugs that would do the job of the springtails?

Thanks

I just did some research and they are native to here, some reptile shops sell them as feeders for smaller animals. Thanks for the help!

Thanks

Yeah and the isopods you normally put in a viv are much smaller than what is found in ones garden. Or at least they are here, I don't know about in Europe.
    The zoo
    3.1.0 R. Auriculatus, 1.0.0 R. Chahoua PI, 0.0.3 T. Corticale, 1.1.0 peacock reed tree frog, 1.1 gray banded king snakes, 0.1 snow corn snake, 1.0 beige chinchilla, 1.0 boxer, 1.0 French bulldog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleSG View Post
    Yeah and the isopods you normally put in a viv are much smaller than what is found in ones garden. Or at least they are here, I don't know about in Europe.
    Would only springtails be enough or do the isopods need to be there? Only place i can get isopods from is in the garden, they are like 5 millimeter big.

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcellio_scaber these are the ones that are native to Belgium. Apparently they can get about 20mm (0.8 in) long. I wouldn't know where i can find other species, it's not like they are most peoples pet of choice. I searched on google for buying them and only came up with links to kill them..