Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safe Soil?

Thanks

Jiffy mix has a seed starting organic mix that works well. It has very little organic components though, its mostly just a mix of perlite, vermiculite and peat moss.

I'm curious though, why a 50% mix between soil and eco earth?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeTwii View Post
    Jiffy mix has a seed starting organic mix that works well. It has very little organic components though, its mostly just a mix of perlite, vermiculite and peat moss.

I'm curious though, why a 50% mix between soil and eco earth?
    I've read NOT to use potting soil for a vivarium in quite a few places. I was looking for top soil mixes b/c I didnt think I was supposed to have vermiculite or perlite in the mix?

You mix it with eco-earth for drainage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tlbowling View Post
    I've read NOT to use potting soil for a vivarium in quite a few places. I was looking for top soil mixes b/c I didnt think I was supposed to have vermiculite or perlite in the mix?

You mix it with eco-earth for drainage.
    O.o...

I will admit, I do normal gardening and not vivs but that doesn't sound right.

Eco earth is just coconut fiber. That stuff is nothing but a sponge. Your drainage layer should be something like a 1-3 inch layer of rocks to lift the soil up. That way excess water isn't sitting in the soil promoting rot.

I'm sorry if I'm not being helpful. But what it sounds like your looking for...well it just sounds odd. I mean something with a ton of coconut fiber and plain soil will hold water like a bog. Not to mention decay like one. I mean your practically using dead plant matter as the medium.

I mean, maybe I'm leading you in the wrong direction, But something about that just sounds a little off.

Thanks

I have a 2" layer of hydroballs on the bottom for drainage, topped with screen and I have done so much reading about vivs, on dendroboard, vivarium forums, every link online, and it seems like everyone recommends mixing eco earth with their soil? I guess its back to the drawing board

Thanks

Eco earth is fine to mix in but you need nutrition for the plants too. Eco earth doesn't consist of much. I tend to use fill dirt, preferably organic, and preferably not high on sand content. The problem with that is finding it where I live because most of our local dirt is sand. It'll be different depending on where you live.
    The zoo
    3.1.0 R. Auriculatus, 1.0.0 R. Chahoua PI, 0.0.3 T. Corticale, 1.1.0 peacock reed tree frog, 1.1 gray banded king snakes, 0.1 snow corn snake, 1.0 beige chinchilla, 1.0 boxer, 1.0 French bulldog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tlbowling View Post
    I have a 2" layer of hydroballs on the bottom for drainage, topped with screen and I have done so much reading about vivs, on dendroboard, vivarium forums, every link online, and it seems like everyone recommends mixing eco earth with their soil? I guess its back to the drawing board
    I've got a soil mix of two types of eco earth, with a similar drainage system and I've got quite a few plants that are living off of it just fine! I bought both as bricks from the pet store, since I figured this would be the safest soil for my gecko. I've got pothos, some moss, and a plant that I bought from petco (sorry I do not know the name, but it is similar to pothos). They are thriving. I've read if you need fertilizer beyond your lizards, er, excrement that you can save the water you use from steaming asparagus or similar vegetables. You should only need to add fertilizer every few months, but this is a safe, natural way to do it.