Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe Soil?

Thanks

Question Safe Soil?

I'm having a very hard time finding potting soil without fertilizer or perlite. I've heard of people using a brand of potting soil with success called Miracle Gro. I found some at home depot but it says it contains fertilizer. I'll be making a naturalistic vivarium with live plants and moss. Will either of these two kinds of potting soil be safe to use?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Thanks

Thanks

Just order the dirt they sell on newenglad herpiculture site. I tried the home depot route but couldn't find much good. I bought three bags for my 75 gallon and so far it looks like as long as I stir (don't even really need to stir) and water it. I won't ever need to replace it. And my plants seem to like it. I'm just deciding which bugs to add to the soil
    It has clay balls to help if you over water, it's the right texture, smells good. No big dangerous chunks (unless you count the clay balls (too big to eat anyway). A bit more than soil at home depot, but I doubt I'll need to replace it.

Thanks

You want to use organic soil or peat. Organic brands shouldn't have the extra ferts added.

I use the Miracle Gro Organic Choice in my planted aquariums, but I would not use it for a gecko because it's so full of pieces of bark and twigs. Even if you tried sifting it, I don't think you'd have much left afterwards because most of the pieces are pretty big.

I couldn't find any good organic soil at any of the big chain stores, but instead found a bag of a nice clean, dark organic potting soil at a local nursery. It still needs to be sifted to pull out all the large pieces, but it's working really well. I mix it 50/50 with Eco Earth.

Thanks

http://www.neherpetoculture.com/substrates.htm

It's almost at the bottom, good stuff if you don't want to create your own. If you want to add to it I recommend adding an organic top soil. Top soil varies greatly from bag to bag but it'll have some (but not a lot) of fertilizer and no vermiculite.
    The zoo
    3.1.0 R. Auriculatus, 1.0.0 R. Chahoua PI, 0.0.3 T. Corticale, 1.1.0 peacock reed tree frog, 1.1 gray banded king snakes, 0.1 snow corn snake, 1.0 beige chinchilla, 1.0 boxer, 1.0 French bulldog

Thanks

I'm using an organic top soil that I found at a nursery. For 30 liters, it only cost $5 if that. My plants are doing really well in it too.
    1.0.0 R. Ciliatus [Ender]

Thanks

I use a mixture of Miracle Grow Organic POTTING MIX, any organic POTTING SOIL and ECO-EARTH. I use about 2 parts soil, to 1 part mix and 1 part eco-earth.
    Hope that helps!
    Dana
    Custom Backgrounds & Terrariums/Tanks www.danasdesigns.weebly.com
    3.4.3.4 Cresties, 0.2 Corn snake, 1.1 Kitties

Thanks

for those that use part or half eco earth in your planting what's the purpose of it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by space.kace View Post
    for those that use part or half eco earth in your planting what's the purpose of it?
    I mix in the Eco Earth to help improve the texture and drainage of the soil. Otherwise my soil soil tends to clump together and be rather heavy.

Thanks

I have been working on my own natural vivarium for one of my cresteds.

Im really having a hard time finding organic topsoil (or potting soil) that does not have some type of manure in it! I just dont know where else to look. (I really didnt want to go the ABG route, but will if I have to.)

Im planning on mixing 50/50 some type of organic soil and eco-earth.

Would anyone with a live viv, or live viv experience be willing to give any SPECIFIC brand names that they have had success with?