Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sasha, a Box Turtle.

Thanks

Default Sasha, a Box Turtle.

Introducing Sasha, a beautiful Box Turtle. One of my friends didn't want her anymore and so she gave her to me. I'm not entirely sure what specific type of Box Turtle she is, if anyone knows that would be great. Also, what way is best to trim her nails, they are really, really long.

~Amber~
    "Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"
    Anyanka's Geckos
    RIP Willow, Darwin, Tara and Chai. I miss and love you all!

Thanks

Wow what a awesome looking girl you have their I am not sure what kind she is someone will come on and tell you. And as far as her nails you can try fileing them I would not cut them you could make her bleed. I use to have a red foot tortois and when his nails got long I would file them or I also had a rock slat in the tank with him. So he could whear them down himself. Oh and you know that you should always have a pan of water for them to soak in so they can stay moist congrats on your new girl.

Thanks

How many toes are on her back feet? I agree with the above poster, let her have a good soak, she seems a bit too dry.
    1.1.0 E. agricolae

Thanks

She has 3 toes. She is soaking now. =)
    ~Amber~
    "Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"
    Anyanka's Geckos

Thanks

Okay so she is a 3 toed box turtle those are awesome and thats good that you are leting her soak.

Thanks

Sweet! Yeah, she always has the option in her enclosure, but I took her out and let her soak in some nice warm water. Then worked on her nails some, it will take some time though.
    ~Amber~
    Anyanka's Geckos

Thanks

I think it might be a dude. Do you have a tail shot?

Thanks

I'll look when I get home.. Sasha, has been Sasha well before I got her.
    ~Amber~
    Anyanka's Geckos

Thanks

She's looks like a she to me, without the tail shot. See those lovely brown eyes? That's your indicator! Males have orange/red eyes and much more colorful skin.

Make sure she's getting full spectrum UVB lighting, has lots of big fake plants and hides, and I would suggest using a paint tray as her water dish. They LOVE to spend lots of time in water, and lots of people don't know this, but they can, and will actually swim (across ponds etc etc)

Omnivorous diet---stay away from canned catfood, or any other furry pet food in general. For the meat part of her diet, try earth worms, waxworms, roaches or crickets minus a few legs, etc. Fruit like berries, apples, but try and stay away from too much banana, as its super high in sugars. She'll enjoy corn as well as a few other "native" veggies---Boxies are found all over the US, its late, so I'm blanking on what states Three toeds are collected from, but think warm, and woodsy . Spring mix and organic weeds (no fertilizer or pesticides) are what you want to use for the greens in her diet. I can give you the name of a website where you can buy a seed mix to start growing your own.

Use damp eco earth, sphagnum peat, or cypress mulch as her substrate she needs the humidity and will burrow.

Any other questions, or concerns, feel free to hit me up! I've got tortoises right now, but I had three toeds when I was younger and I do rescue work, and I fostered a little female boxie last summer who I named Eglantine I've got lots of experience and knowledge when it comes to shelled kids!
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

The eye is why I thought it could be a male actually. I've seen a lot of males with only slightly red eyes. Also the bit of orange on the face. The three-toes are a bit more drab in general for some males althouh there are some bright colored ones as well. .