Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby veiled chameleons

I live in Illinois but my heart is in the wild! Hahaha!
    Thanks

Default Baby veiled chameleons

What are their care requirements. If I research care sheets all I get is adult care. Can someone with experience tell me what the care is like? Food, lights, water, ect. I have a good ammount of background knowledge I would just like to know more.

Thanks

Veileds are amazingly easy to care for, as they don't need the humidity requirements as other ones do.

-Housing:
    As a hatchling or juvie I would NOT exceed a cage 24x24 just because of the clumsy factors they are blessed with . They can easily break a bone, or fracture. Mesh/screen cages are 100% needed for complete ventilation. They are arboreal just like cresteds so long sticks, vines, foliage is needed to satisfy that need. As they begin to grow, you'd then rehouse them into a larger screened cage.
    -Lighting
    They do need the UVA/UVB and heating. You can use a spiral UVA bulb, even though I don't like them, in a clamp lamp and hook it onto the cage. With the heat, the basking spot should be about 90 F with a 60-100W bulb. I would deff do a 60W seeing as how little it is. The bulb should be minimum a foot away from the top of the highest branch to avoid cooking your baby. I'd use a digital thermometer with a prob to achieve the temp you want for both basking and cooling areas. Typically, the cooling area is lowest spot.
    -Feeding/watering
    They do not need a water bowl - they do not drink water out of it. Trick of the trade: ice cube on top of cage and they can get the drops off it. They react more to movement than to still water, they also drink water off of falling leaves etc. Mist the cage twice dailly.
    You can feed them crickets daily, dusted, as much as it will consume without leaving any survivors. You may feed them waxworms, reptiworms, mealworms etc depending on the size of the baby. either between the eyes or from eyes to tip of mouth is best determining how large or small the food will be. They can have veggies such as collard greens, mustard greens, kale, carrots, melon, peaches, bananas, berries, and more.
    -substrate
    No use for it. Just use paper towels. Easier to track droppings to ensure no impaction. And they don't need substrate since they don't need the humidity, and they won't ingest it by sticking to their tongue. And no sand.

If anything else just ask

Edit:
    They are solitary animals!
    ***important for females***
    If you get a female and she comes to the age of laying eggs it is IMPORTANT you have a means of her digging. This is really the only reason to have a dirt/sand mixture in the cage. Some of my clients use a large Glad container, stick dirt sand mix in there for her to dig and lay her eggs in. If she cannot find a way of digging, she will hold her eggs in and 99% chance of being fetal to her.
    Cresties: Taco and Waffles. Beardies: Yoshi. Tokay: Jacobi

Thanks

How many crickets a day would you estimate? And as for lighting. I have a 40 watt uvb bulb set up and it is about a few inches away from the basking branch. Since the bulb is such a low wattage can they still get burned?

Thanks

I don't think so. Just watch the temps. I honestly hate the spirals because the UV output is lower than the fluorescents. and its kind of easier using a strip light to lay across the cage versus clamping everywhere, lol.

The ones I've worked with generally eat about 6-8 small crickets. I tong feed sometimes to amuse myself. I had one fatty boy who ate 6 mealies in one feeding for breakfast. He was only about 6 inches with tail

Thanks

Hahahah how cute! Well as I said before. It's heat and uvb in one so I should be good on the lighting front correct? And also I already made the mistake of substrate. Should I just bowl feel or would it be easier and more safe just to remove it?

Thanks

I would remove it just for safety. They are really clumsy eaters. I haven't had an accident yet, with the wood chips though. Like the kind they use for tortoises.

Thanks

I've seen babies go for 30 dollars. Is that a normal price? And also what happens when people don't use mesh cages. I see people with aquariums for their chams all the time. They seem relatively healthy.

Thanks

Aquariums can hold humidity or moisture and create bacteria. They're opposite of cresteds basically.

Thanks

And depending on the breeder or the store, some people have them cheap. Petsmart sells for about 70-90 depending on the size etc.

Thanks

They like it dryer. And um do they start at around 30$? That's what i've heard.