Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk some sense into me

Thanks

Default Talk some sense into me

So as I am sure you all have gathered we are awaiting our first gecko from Matt. It will be a garg that he thinks is best for us (and us is an almost six year old and a 43 year old woman. We have a dad in our family too but this is our thing, mike is not a herp guy but he will lean to love in the end).

While we are waiting we are learning as much as we can, and last night that included a trip to petco (only place with rhacs in town) for a lesson in gecko handling. One of the clerks took out all the gargs, showed us how to handle them.. She was terrific, having three cresteds of her own. Out of this session I decided that we will keep the little garg in a kritter keeper for a bit, because if what Matt sends us is as small as what in saw in the store it will get lost in the exo terra. it's a really small investment into the health of our pet.

The second thing is what i really want advice about. One of the gargs, a homely little black fellow had just been brought out from the back, after being treated for MBD that this woman had noticed because of a kink in his tail. He was easier to handle than the rest but I do not know if this is because she was handling him a ton in the back or if it was because he is unwell. He does not appear to have any other structural issues except the tail as he kept leaping onto my son. My son of course fell in love and as I am a rescue person, I kind of did too. My son says that that gecko loves HIM which is sweet and silly and that the gecko needs him, which may be true.

We are still getting a garg from Matt. Matte great and I have learned so much from this forum he set up for us that am eternally grateful. but we are considering a second garg, before we even have the first!

So, tell me why I do/do not want two gargoyles. Tell me how un/likely it is that two can be housed together. Tell me at what age they tend to have issues. I also want to know how much the work multiplies with two enclosures.

I also need to know if this little guy has he potential to be healthy or not? My son is lovely and sensitive and loves his pets dearly and we do not need a heartbreak.
    Beth in Alaska
    1.0.0 Corgi (Pirate)
    1.0.0 Keeshond (Toklat)
    0.2.0 Guinea pigs (Chocolate and Lightning)
    1.0.0 Human (Ben aka The Monk)
    0.0.2 R. Auriculatus (Horrorcow & Ziggerastica)

Thanks

I'd love to help, but frankly I'm the last one you probably want to hear from, haha! I bought me second crestie before my first arrived. The second got here a couple days after the first. I was hooked from the start! Then I got my first garg. And then my second. Yeah. Is there a hotline for this addiction?

Thanks

Since this is your first, you're probably better off starting with one healthy garg. As far as housing them together, that sounds like a very bad idea.
    1.0.0 crested - Cuervo

Thanks

Personally I don't support chain pet stores live animal sales.

That aside, upkeep won't much more difficult having two enclosures instead of one. However, they will need decent sized enclosures when they are full grown, and no I would no house them together. I've personally never kept gargs but I'm assuming that if they're like cresteds then it is wisest to keep them seperated.

Also, you will have to make sure you quarantine these geckos and keep them seperate from each other and wash your hands well between handling and don't use the same supplies between them, this will keep them from passing anything to each other.
    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Thanks

I would advise against housing gargoyles together, they are an aggressive species. Quarantine, as mentioned above, is crucial.

If you are willing to invest in separate enclosures and follow quarantine procedures, than I don't see a reason to turn down purchasing a second gecko that you like. Personally though, I would wait to see if the first garg is all that you expect it to be.

While I love all my cresteds, I wish I had been introduced to gargoyle geckos sooner.
    C. Ciliatus / R. Auriculatus / M. Chahoua / C. Sarasinorum / R. Leachianus / U. Sikorae / E. Vieilardi / E. Guttata / G. Gecko / A. Felinus / C. Elok /
    facebook.com/TreeHuggerGeckos

Thanks

The quarantine is a very good point.
    Buying two enclosures is not a huge deal but maybe maintaining two is.
    Beth in Alaska
    1.0.0 Corgi (Pirate)
    1.0.0 Keeshond (Toklat)

Thanks

To me the routine care/cleaning is a breeze, just set a schedule and follow it. I spot clean every night looking for any poop that needs removed as I do the nightly misting. By spot cleaning as I mist their enclosure is always clean. I feed and have 10-15 minutes playtime every 3rd night with everyone (ranging from 4.5g baby up to 70+g adults, 14 in total). They are so use to their schedule they meet me at the front of their enclosure ready to come out when it's playtime.

If you go with 2 gargs, do the quarantine for at least 1 month; washing hands really well before handling each of them. Regarding MBD, was the garg x-ray'd to come up with the diagnosis of MBD? Kinked tails can be a result of stress and/or dehydration also.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    To me the routine care/cleaning is a breeze, just set a schedule and follow it. I spot clean every night looking for any poop that needs removed as I do the nightly misting. By spot cleaning as I mist their enclosure is always clean. I feed and have 10-15 minutes playtime every 3rd night with everyone (ranging from 4.5g baby up to 70+g adults, 14 in total). They are so use to their schedule they meet me at the front of their enclosure ready to come out when it's playtime.

If you go with 2 gargs, do the quarantine for at least 1 month; washing hands really well before handling each of them. Regarding MBD, was the garg x-ray'd to come up with the diagnosis of MBD? Kinked tails can be a result of stress and/or dehydration also.
    The garg is at petco, I highly doubt that they took it to the vet. It did look thinner than the other two that were quite plump.

Hannibal, you description of gargs liking to come out makes me very happy. I have never owned a herp before for two reasons, live food and I was worried that having an animal who hates being handled by me would make me sad. Since my son has been a herp fiend since he was a small toddler I decided to reconsider and was happy to find that there are herps that do not need live food! I figured geckos are so interesting to look at that I might not be sad if they hated being handled. It is very heartening that it's possible our gargs will enjoy our company a little bit.

I think waiting is the best thing to do. We need to get a healthy garg first. This does not mean I will do the best thing. I am tempted to go to petco and see if they will GIVE me the animal so that I can take it to dr Riley.
    Beth in Alaska
    1.0.0 Corgi (Pirate)
    1.0.0 Keeshond (Toklat)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crestielovely View Post
    I'd love to help, but frankly I'm the last one you probably want to hear from, haha! I bought me second crestie before my first arrived. The second got here a couple days after the first. I was hooked from the start! Then I got my first garg. And then my second. Yeah. Is there a hotline for this addiction?
    Yeah...you dont want my advice either...I did the same thing, except added a 3rd and 4th before my 1st arrived!

Thanks

I do definitely agree with some of the points others have made. You definitely can't keep two gargs together. Also, Since you are new to rhacs, taking on one that possibly has MBD and might not be the healthiest is a bit more risky. However, I do think that if you can get them to adopt the little guy out to you at no charge and you are willing to spend the time to learn about the issues it may have and are willing to deal with possible vet visits and any other special needs it may have, I personally say go for it. It's really all in how much you want to do. It's perfectly ok to say you aren't ready to take that on. I would certainly never look down on you for it, quite the opposite. It takes a better person to admit not being ready to deal with all this then it does to just jump in without being prepared.

Gargs can make fantastic pets. I adore my two very much!