Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Petstore Drama - Advice Needed

Thanks

Angry Petstore Drama - Advice Needed

To all:

I purchased my Tokay at a local pet store(not a chain). I had been to the store sseveral times for my hermit crabs, but never realized they had a reptile/amphibian section. I wandered over to the death corner one day and saw Orpheus (my Tokay) sitting in a cage with no bedding, a small hide his body couldn't even be covered by, and about 25 crickets jumping all over him. After he looked at me, I knew I had to take him home. I'm not really sure if it's considered a steal, giving his health, but I got him for about $25 bucks. I've been putting some weight on him and have been able to sex him, so we're doing good.

Anyway, I've been going back to the store often to make sure he doesn't replace my tokay with another one as well as to make sure the other reptiles are being somewhat decently cared for. When I initially asked the owner questions about where the tokay and others had come from, he gave me the run around. When I asked him about what Tokays eat he said "crickets".

The other day topped it though and I need some advice. I actually decided not to go bad to the corner of doom while I was there getting a light for my new ball python.

Conrad, however, did. And what he found is just absolutely miserable. Green Tree Frogs. I have never seen them in their cage, but always looked for them. Conrad found them--STUCK to the bottom of the cage and basically MUMMIFIED.

What should I do? Nobody will take me seriously about this. He treats all the critters, besides the fish, very poorly.

I've thought about trying to go in and take a picture, but the tank is about 7 feet up on a shelf, so it would be very hard to do that inconspicuously. Should I report them to the local news? We already spoke directly with the owner about the conditions the Tokay was kept in, but he didn't seem to give two S***s.
    -Mayday http://www.mayday-pictures.com
    0.0.1 Tokay Gecko - Orpheus
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon - Clyde

1.1.0 Crested Gecko - Purdy, Magneato
    0.0.1 Leopard Gecko - Reptar

0.2.0 Miniature Dachshund - Ruthless and Indica {Roofie Doofie and Indy Baby}

Thanks

The frogs have obviously been there for weeks, if not months.
    -Mayday http://www.mayday-pictures.com
    0.0.1 Tokay Gecko - Orpheus
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon - Clyde

1.1.0 Crested Gecko - Purdy, Magneato
    0.0.1 Leopard Gecko - Reptar

0.2.0 Miniature Dachshund - Ruthless and Indica {Roofie Doofie and Indy Baby}

Thanks

Animal abuse is ILLEGAL! Call the police/Animal control. Most cities have someone who can issue at very least a warning to someone neglecting an animal. Put the owner on a list for repeat visits from the enforcer. Man story's like this just tick me off!

Thanks

You could try talking to the store owner. Sometimes people really are just unimformed on animal care. Bring in some caresheets for him. If he refuses to talk to you about them, you could try contacting your local animal control.

When you purchased that tokay gecko, you were supporting his business. I know it's hard, but sometimes you just have to walk away. If his animals are dying and no one is buying them and he is loosing money, he may look into why they are dying or stop purchasing reptiles all together. If you do not like how a store is treating their animals, you shoudln't be purchasing anything from them (cricktes, hermit supplies, light bulbs) because you are only supporting his business.

Thanks

I would call animal control first before talking to the owner... if you talk to the owner guaranteed any evidence will be gone by the time authorities can investigate and the guy will get off free and clear
    Gargoyle Gecko 3.1.2, Pygmy Mice (lots)
    Darren http://www.iherp.com/pennhillszoo

Thanks

I will say this there is alot of pet stores that do not care and I have in the past have called human socity on them. The one pet store I called on they came in the store and the owner had no idea that they was comeing. So pet land is no longer around. I was shocked over what I saw in there if I was you I report it animal abuse should not be allowed. And that goes for any animal so make some calls and report it good luck.

Thanks

i agree with holly12 definite call hes killing uninformed or not thats just mean.......
    (mack-snow) 0.1 leopard gecko-Snow
    [normal] 0.0.1 pictus gecko-Mad or if girl Maddie
    http://jurassicgeckos.weebly.com/index.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ento890 View Post
    You could try talking to the store owner. Sometimes people really are just unimformed on animal care.
    That's true. But there's no excuse for having dead frogs stuck to the bottom of a cage....
    1.1.2 Crested Geckos, 0.3 Mourning Geckos, 0.1 Blue Tongue Skink, 1.1 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Ball Pythons, 1.0 Garter Snake, 1.0 Chinchilla, 0.1 Bird, 0.2 Dogs, 2.3 Cats, 0.1 Hamster

Thanks

First off, STOP shopping there!! You are supporting the owner by purchasing anything there. Most petstores make the bulk of their money from selling items/feeders/tanks, etc. Not from selling animals. Sadly, that Tokay you rescued, by paying for it, taught this shop owner that "Tokays sell," so he will likely replace it with another. Boycott that store and report them. It is not only cruel, but a health hazard to have dead/rotting animals around.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saille View Post
    First off, STOP shopping there!! You are supporting the owner by purchasing anything there. Most petstores make the bulk of their money from selling items/feeders/tanks, etc. Not from selling animals. Sadly, that Tokay you rescued, by paying for it, taught this shop owner that "Tokays sell," so he will likely replace it with another. Boycott that store and report them. It is not only cruel, but a health hazard to have dead/rotting animals around.
    Thank you Saille I agree with you on that boycott is the way to go thats what I did with petland.