Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "perfect diet"

Thanks

Default "perfect diet"

I just wanted to open up a discussion about CGD MRP with a pointers.

A MRP can only be perfect if you can force an ideal consumption rate for an individual based on weight, exercise, and nutritional needs. This is why we see overweight crested geckos because diet changes based on metabolic need so consumption must be monitored.

If a gecko is overconsuming CGD, is it possible to over dose the vitamin supplements, specifically vitamin D?

Should there be multiple diets available for the different life stages... higher protein for juveniles, higher calcium for breeding females?

Please no hostility, I honestly just would like discussion.

Thanks

i think that getting everyone to switch to a good MRP like repashy's and away from a diet of baby food or only bugs should be the first step. honestly i think adding "life stages" would just confuse newbie crested owners even more, and it should be kept as simple as possible to entice them to the proper way of feeding their cresteds.

i think there has been ample research on repashy's CGD to show that its pretty dang good, and i just feel like if there was a problem with overdosing of vitamins, we would be seeing it by now.

i think it is excellent to continually strive for better options. i don't believe in "perfect", i believe that everything humans have made can be improved upon and made better, even if its in the smallest ways, bit by bit over time. that being said, i trust completely in repashy's CGD, in the lengthy and continuous research they have done.

Do i think its impossible that they, or someone else could come up with some breakthrough that is considerably better than what we have now? no. if no one ever looked at something really good and though "how can i improve upon this?" humanity definitely wouldn't be where it is today. but i will absolutely remain skeptical of anything that hasn't been thoroughly tested over a significant portion of these animals' lifespan, and used among a huge population of related and unrelated animals.

i don't not think that "life stages" mrps would be a good idea. i just think we have a ways to go first. part of the reason we see that type of breakdown in dog and cat foods is that dogs and cats have been in captivity for so long. if its feasible, we'll get there.
    Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
    :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rubberduckey273 View Post
    part of the reason we see that type of breakdown in dog and cat foods is that dogs and cats have been in captivity for so long. if its feasible, we'll get there.
    Pet owners can't even grasp the concept of dog and cat food, I can't see how they'd get it for geckos....

I totally agree with the above post.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by that_girl View Post
    Pet owners can't even grasp the concept of dog and cat food, I can't see how they'd get it for geckos....
    and there are a ton of people that are beginning to understand the concept of a good diet for their dogs, and the different life stages, yet if you tried to get them to do the same for a reptile, they'd just look at you weird.

Thanks

so your argument is not that it could be better for the reptile, but shouldn't be done because gecko owners are too daft to understand it?

Thanks

I didn't read her post that way at all. I think shes saying that it would be confusing not that it shouldn't be done at all. I agree, for the novice geckos owners. Having a diet that elite would be pretty super, to newbies it could be a problem. They may not understand which food per which gecko and may possibly feed the 'wrong' diet to a gecko. One thing I just thought of too. If there were that many seperate diets, think of all the different types your going to keep on hand and buy. If you have 1-8 geckos it may not be too bad, but ranging to upwards of a 100, mixing all these different foods for the different geckos could be a pain. I agree with Kelsey, a lot of dog/cat owners don't even understand what a 'better diet' is. lol
    As I stated before I love the CGD, my geckos are happy and healthy. Do I feel a better diet can be made? Sure! Everything has room for improvement. Its slowly making progression too. I mean, you can now buy one part diet in several flavors as before you had to buy two parts. I'm sure the diet will get better over time like it already has. From babyfood that has proved to not be a stable diet to a one part flavored gecko mrp that so far seems to be doing wonders for Cresteds and other Rhacs. Oh! And think of the Super Pig! Things just take time!
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrEyebrows View Post
    so your argument is not that it could be better for the reptile, but shouldn't be done because gecko owners are too daft to understand it?
    would it be better for the gecko if someone who didn't really understand the differences between the separate diets was feeding them the wrong one? or would it be better for them to just feed a diet that is formulated to work for geckos of all life stages, and so far has been proven to work pretty darn well.

i never said it was a bad idea, or it shouldn't be done. if someone can come up with life stage formulas, that would be a great option for more experienced breeders/ keepers. but as much as it sucks, there are going to be plenty of people buying cresteds that just aren't going to do the proper research, and if they're faced with a plethora of options they may be likely to turn to other, easier yet unhealthy options.

one of the points in getting people to switch from baby food to cgd is its still very easy to use. if the owners are too daft to understand a more complicated feeding system, then yes, i think its better to offer them an option that is easier yet marginally less healthy. and to be clear, by less healthy i don't mean bad for them. because cgd is healthy.

edit:
    what about something similar to what Matt sells here with the different flavors. for people who want to take that extra step, have powders that could be mixed into a base powder. one for hatchlings, one for breeding females, etc.

Thanks

I think the "life stages" food is a wonderful idea, though I do not think it is or ever will be a realistic idea. It would take a lot more research to even have an idea exactly how to formulate them, and even if that was done correctly, 95% if crestie owners wouldn't use the products right....
    www.altitudeexotics.com

For our latest news and updates, follow us on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Altitu...29735193753504

Thanks

I've heard that when cake mixes were first marketed, they had it formulated such that you only needed to add water. The mixes didn't sell very well. They discovered that the housewives didn't feel like they had "done enough" so they didn't like using the mixes.

They changed the powdered ingredients so that you also had to add an egg.

The mixes sold.

It could be that the people who don't feel satisfied with a total MRP that only requires adding water, might be happier using something that requires a bit more "effort", maybe something like the two part system but where you could buy different additives for the different life stages.

Or they might feel more confident that the different needs of geckos were being met.

(I've often wondered, is the Royal Canin German Shepherd flavored dog food really better for German Shepherds than the Royal Canin Golden Retriever flavor? Or is it just marketing?)

I can totally believe that different geckos have different nutritional requirements based on things like age, breeding status, stress, illness, etc. It doesn't make sense that there's one absolutely perfect formula that's perfect for every gecko. Although I can see why the CGD is the best in general, the best compromise to meet the needs of most.
    *** My "N" key is actig up. Luckily, there's no "N" in "crested gecko" or "Rhacodactylus ciliatus".***

2.3.9.12 cresties
    0.2 cats
    0.1 German Shepherd Dogs
    1.1.2 humans (that's 1 adult male, 1 adult female (me), and two male juvies)

Thanks

Here's a solution...feed gutloaded and dusted crickets/roaches 2-3 times a week for babies (protein), add a calcium dish to tubs/tanks for breeding females.Viola, 'Life Stage Diets'.

Here's an odd example...don't know if it'll make sense. Bearded dragons. Babies need about 80% protein and 20% greens. So what do we do? Well, obviously babies are fed a LOT more protein than greens...the adults, on the other hand, need the opposite. So 20% protein and 80% greens. Again...obviously yada yada yada.

Life stage diets could be great! Don't get me wrong. But you CAN do that now. Offer more protein to the babies, and more calcium to breeder females.
    3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl
    1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page
    Middle TN Exotic Pets Club