Thread: tell me about your leachies

Thanks

Default tell me about your leachies

i'm reading and reading getting ready for our first gecko to arrived (garg from matt) and I'm kind of falling in love with the giant, lumpy looking things I keep seeing pictures of around here that you all lovingly refer to as leachies.

I managed to find out they are really Rhacodactylus leachianus and to read about their care a bit.

I need to prove to myself that I can successfully take care of our gargoyle, before I could take on anymore animals, but I want to fantasize a bit about the future when I get a leachie.

so tell me about housing your leachie? How much space would i need to make in my house? If they are as laid back as they appear? Can they happily live on giant gecko diet (because I will never, ever feed pinkies and prefer not to feed crickets even)?

Please don't tell my husband I am asking these questions as they are all hypotheticial SO FAR.

Thanks

the keep the same as cresteds. they eat crested gecko diet. only difference is they can be a little tempermental and get larger. I plan on keeping mine in about the equivalent to 55-60 gallons when they get older(ive been told thats a good size for 1 adult). they will just be tall and more narrow cages. crickets are not neccisary but can be a fun treat.
    Revolution Reptiles

6.16.Lots Rhacodactylus ciliatus 2.4 Rhacodactylus leachianus 1.2.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus 1.1 Nephrurus Deleani 3.1.2 Paroedura pictus 0.0.2 Phelsuma grandis 1.1 Salamandra s. salamandra 0.1 Tribolonotus gracilis 0.0.1 Teratoscincus kyserlingi 0.0.9 Different Dendrobates. And a Few more

Thanks

I think there are some difference's in care from cresteds. Leachies like it humid but you have to be careful that it doesn't stay too wet as they can get skin infections.

They also must have cork bark round imo. They feel safer and it mimics the tree hollows that they spend most of their time in, in the wild. I fill my cages with rounds and branches. There are a few magnetic plants but those are mainly to have something to mist. Larger adults and pairs I will be keeping in a 20x20x20 cube (BARRS cage).

Babies like to be a little crowded. I put them in a shoebox size sterilite tub with lots of places to hide. Atleast 2 to 3 different places to take cover, a small fake plant on one end and caps of food and water. Leachies will drink from a water dish and should be provided with one.

They do not like to be handled a lot if you are wanting something that will hang out on you a crested or a chahoua are a better pet for that.

All that said it is really cool to have a gecko that large in your hand. I do take mine out about 2 to 3 times a week but I don't keep them out for long.

You do not have to feed bugs to leachies and most won't take them anyway (none of mine will). You also don't have to feed pinkies although I do give them to the older ones about once a month as a treat.
    Specializing in R. Chahoua

Thanks

cresteds shouldn't stay to wet either they can get lung infections if they are wet all the time. pretty much every animal that needs high humidity also needs humidity drops. my tree frogs range from 50-95 percent 2 times throughout the day.
    Revolution Reptiles

6.16.Lots Rhacodactylus ciliatus 2.4 Rhacodactylus leachianus 1.2.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus 1.1 Nephrurus Deleani 3.1.2 Paroedura pictus 0.0.2 Phelsuma grandis 1.1 Salamandra s. salamandra 0.1 Tribolonotus gracilis 0.0.1 Teratoscincus kyserlingi 0.0.9 Different Dendrobates. And a Few more

Thanks

I'm pretty sure I didn't say cresteds need to be wet either. Leachies do need a little higher humidity. I got this straight from Steve Cemelli, I think it safe to say he knows leachies.
    Specializing in R. Chahoua

Thanks

As fas as I understand after doing my research is that yes, keep Leachies is similiar to Cresteds but do require a little extra attention as far as their humidity and their overall surroundings. They like to feel secure in their enclosure with a lot of nice places to hide. I was also told its best to mist a corner or their tub/tank as misting the whole enclosure or the gecko can cause them some skin problems as where Cresteds are a little more tolerable. I agree with Laura, if your wanting a more handable gecko than Cresties or Chewies are more the way to go. Best of luck
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    I'm pretty sure I didn't say cresteds need to be wet either. Leachies do need a little higher humidity. I got this straight from Steve Cemelli, I think it safe to say he knows leachies.
    sorry i misinturprited what you were saying. i thought you were implying to keep them wet all the time aposed to cresteds not needing to be wet ever or something along those lines.
    Revolution Reptiles