View Poll Results: What Batchlor should Firefly choose?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Broadway

9 18.75%
  • Lexington

7 14.58%
  • Bronx

16 33.33%
  • Oberon

16 33.33%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Bachelorette

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Gecko View Post
    IDK if many people would have noticed this BUT Bronx is the same base color as Firefly. His red maybe more 'red' but thats it. You would get more unfired color with Lexingtion vs. Bronx and most like LOOSE out on color with a pairing between Firefly and Bronx because he is a base red with no unfired color (blotching) but maybe a base pink. Bronx is my last choice for the match because any babies would be less then the two individually.

Just trying to understand here..unfired, Bronx is just pink, while Firefly is pink with some red blotching, yes? So, that could dilute, for lack of a better word, the red blotching when the hatchling is unfired. But when it's fired, the hatchling would still have lost some color? I'm not sure I understand why, unless it's simply because you're mixing the blotch and the stripe patterns, causing irregularities. Are the pics of Firefly fired or unfired? See, this is why I'm not a breeder.

[ 2.0 Kitteh ][ 1.1 Corn Snake ][ 0.1 Crested Gecko ][ 1.0 Gargoyle Gecko ][ 1.0 Ball Python ][ 1.0 Costa Rican BCI ][ 0.1 Leopard Gecko ][ 0.1 IJ Jag Carpet Python ]

"It'll be a walk in the park... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me." -Lt. Col. Sheppard

Thanks

k let me try to explain better...

Bronx only has red base and no blotching.

Lexington has red base and red stripe color.

Oberion is banded and has orange blotching no base color.

Broadway has orange and red stripes no base red color.

Firefly has red base and blotching.

Redbase= the fired up red. Sometimes fired down to white to pink.

Blotching/stripe color = the color that stays even when unfired.

With gargs color tend to add or subtract based on the parents.

So if we breed Bronx and Firedfly she at best would have babies that were the same as her but maybe a tad darker shad of red. Most the babies would have less blotching because of dads lack of it.

If we breed Lexington x Firefly on some of the babies the red blotch/stripe color would be more than hers or his but most of them should be able the same. We would have a mix of patterns for this mix because one parent is a stripe and one is a banded.

If we did Oberon X FireFly we would mostly all banded babies and a mix of orange and red blotching. Some would have a red base.

If we did Broadway X Firefly with we get a lot of different looking offspring with lots of color, some less some more than parents. We would have a mix of patterns for this mix because one parent is a stripe and one is a banded.

All above is best guess from my experience. Some babies will always have more color than the parents, most will not and be about the same or between the two parents in color. Then some will have less than each.
    Last edited by Lunar Gecko; 05-06-2011 at 03:24 PM.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

With that explanation in mind my vote for first still stands with Oberon. With Broadway as a pinch hitter.
    The zoo
    3.1.0 R. Auriculatus, 1.0.0 R. Chahoua PI, 0.0.3 T. Corticale, 1.1.0 peacock reed tree frog, 1.1 gray banded king snakes, 0.1 snow corn snake, 1.0 beige chinchilla, 1.0 boxer, 1.0 French bulldog

Thanks

I just don't know who would be a better match. If Firefly was mine I would not be worried about it and just switch her around but I will only have her for one breeding season so IDK. GRRR

My pick goes in this order (for now)...

Oberion
    Lex
    Broadway
    Bronx
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net

Thanks

I would vote Jake but he is not on the list. But due to the complications such a pairing would cause I will go with Oberion
    "The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints - 'the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does HE get more worms than I do...'".

Thanks

I totally think Oberon would be her best match!

Thanks

Thanks guys! Any one else have opinions and why? Me and Emily just need to be on the same page so the more people that vote the better. TY!
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net

Thanks

Well, since my hand is being forced....

I'm really torn between two. Lexington and Oberon. Lexington because I like seeing a red base gecko paired with a red base gecko: I just don't think there are enough those in the breeding hobby right now and it's something I personally I am working toward producing in my own lines.

HOWEVER; I know how much you want to get a nice color blotch lined established, and I REALLY need a female that is Firefly's color pattern for my own animals....

Another thing to consider is whether to put her with a virgin male or a proven male. If you pair up two virgins, you'll probably have decreased egg viability...so, it may be worth considering the past of the male in that sense as well.

Lexington seems to be my gut feeling. So, I guess that's what I'll go with.

Thanks

Each Oberon and Lexington are paired with virgin females this year and I as of this week I have fertile eggs from each soo we are good that way. Thanks for posting Thing two. Me needs your input when it comes to gargs but it seems we have each picked the same two as our tops. I'm having a really hard time deciding what one between the two would be the best.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net

Thanks

I love love love Lex and Bronx.. but Oberon seriously has it going on in the same ways that Firefly does. That beautiful heavy blotching of color + Oberon's contrast? Sign me up!!
    ~Rami | Nova Reptiles | iHerp | Facebook
    7.17.6.7 Crested geckos, 1.1 mix leachies, 1.1 Halmaheras, 1.1 African Fat Tails, 1.2 Tokays, 1.1 Oedura castelnaui, 2.1 Leopard geckos, 0.1 corn snake, & too many feeder bugs.