Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: misting in screen cages and crickets

Thanks

Default misting in screen cages and crickets

ok so i just got a new screen cage for my crested he seems to love but how do i mist the cage without getting water everywhere and i don't feed my crested crickets because i know its not that great for them and also he dons't eat them is that normal

Thanks

Some geckos don't go for crickets. My female loves them but my male won't touch them and looks very stressed out if placed in a container with one (for feeding).

If you feed Repashy CGD then all's well.

ETA: Can't help you with the screen cage, I don't have one. I thought they weren't recommended for animals that need higher humidity like cresteds.
    *** My "N" key is actig up. Luckily, there's no "N" in "crested gecko" or "Rhacodactylus ciliatus".***

2.3.9.12 cresties
    0.2 cats
    0.1 German Shepherd Dogs
    1.1.2 humans (that's 1 adult male, 1 adult female (me), and two male juvies)

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about your crestie not being a fan of crickets. A lot don't

As far as your screen tank goes....I really don't have any suggestions! Sorry! I know that even though only the top of my tank is screening I have water marks on the paint on the wall behind the tanks! I tried to avoid it as soon as I realized what was happening, but it was futile! I have resigned myself to the fact that I will be doing some minor wall repair if/when we move!!

Thanks

Try putting a towel over the part of the cage near the wall when you spray. That way the mist will hit the towel rather then the wall. It's not a pretty fix, but it works.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeTwii View Post
    Try putting a towel over the part of the cage near the wall when you spray. That way the mist will hit the towel rather then the wall. It's not a pretty fix, but it works.
    I like this idea. But also, Ive heard that screen tanks arent recommended for cresties because they need higher humidity and the screen is too breezy. What Ive seen people do with their screen tank is cover a few sides with suran wrap. That will help keep in humidity and also look a little better than a towel on it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CJnTera View Post
    I like this idea. But also, Ive heard that screen tanks arent recommended for cresties because they need higher humidity and the screen is too breezy. What Ive seen people do with their screen tank is cover a few sides with suran wrap. That will help keep in humidity and also look a little better than a towel on it.
    If he's doing a screen cage, I would hope he's already checked his base humidity and made sure its high enough to handle everything. I mean, a base humidity of 50-60% isn't that hard to get in a room depending on where you live and what you have inside said room.

The wrap seems kind of tacky as a permanent replacement, maybe try cutting up a clear shower curtain instead and replace the 1 or two problem sides with that.

Thanks

Okay so we have like 1,2,3,4,5. Yeah 5 screen cages which we spray as needed. We do spray a few extra times throughout the day compared to our glass ones but we just control our spray I guess. And we tend to soak things for them when we do. Which they love Anyway use the towel idea, try to open the cage and spray a little closer to the things you really want to spray, therefor controlling it a bit more. Good Luck

Thanks

thanks guys

Thanks

Crested's do not require humidity like a couple of previous post in this thread stated that they do. Crested's do best with a humidity cycle. Mist your cage what ever it may be and remist after the moisture level has bottomed out. Humidity can drop to 30% I'll say and that is not gonna hurt a gecko in the least bit. As long as they get misted atleats twice a day, that is all they need. I live in southern MI, and have all my geckos in 16x15x20 all screen cages and have never had any issues with illness and or shedding. I mist heavily once at night and once during mid day. Crested's are by no means like emerald tree ptythons that need that constant humidity. As a matter of fact a lot of experienced owners don't even monitor what the humidity even is, and I'm one of them. Further more what works for me might not be the best for you.

I just put a hand towel over the cage and spray really good until everything is wet. The good thing about screnn cages is unlike enclosed cages you can't over water.

Thanks

It's much easier to maintain a decent humidity level in a tank in my opinion then a screen cage. just my two cents
    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​