Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY CGD

Thanks

Default DIY CGD

Has anyone tried making their own crested diet? I've got some ideas for using fresh fruits to make a blend for my geckos and was wondering if anyone's tried this project before?

Thanks!

Plans include (In no particular order)
    Blackberries, Strawberries, Papaya, Bananas, Figs, Brewers Yeast, Protein Powder, Calcium w/d3 , and superpig.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

um, do you mean making an MRP or a smoothie ish thing? Before CGD, it was, babyfood, crickets, or do it yourself dieting for many rhacs, so if you mean a smoothie like thing, then I bet that some of the older keepers and breeders could definately help you out
    Jeremy

1[Krakatoa].0.0 Crested Geckos

1.0.0 Very jumpy Sarasinorum Gecko[Rascal]

Geckoholism comes in many shapes and sizes, for me, that shape is an adolescent who can't buy more geckos

Thanks

Two thoughts, it will wind up being more expensive in the end and the gecko will be getting an improper diet. Do you really know about the nutritional needs of crested geckos? And why use superpig btw?
    -Charles Mullen
    I'm looking for really nice chahoua.

Thanks

The balance of protein, fat, etc is listed on the side of repashy's cgd.

Using superpig because i'd like to use some color enhancers, but I dont
    feel like finding all the little stuff and grinding it. It is about 4% of the CGD so I'd like to use it when making a blend just for pigment enhancement purposes. I actually have been researching carotinoids and it even enhances the pigments in human skin.

I've been making sure to provide a proper balance of protien, carbohydrates, fat, calcium, phosphorus, b vitamins, and just making sure to use a fresh blend of fruits.

I was wanting to use an all plant protein source instead of whey, so i'm using purely hemp protein.

And as for the "expense", I'm a hobbyist, and this is another fun project

Thanks

We've already got a crested diet (CGD) that is perfectly balanced, healthy, and relatively inexpensive. Why would anybody want to mess with their gecko's health by experimenting with something else?
    Boston Terrier 1.0, Stetson R.I.P. 8/15/2015.
    Rough Collie (rescued) 1.0, Teddy
    Crested Geckos 9.11.12
    Pine Isle Chahoua 1.0.1 Hunter, Cami
    Leopard Geckos 1.2 Confetti, Snowdrop, & Beauty
    Bearded Dragon 1.0 Jayden

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sushigex View Post
    Two thoughts, it will wind up being more expensive in the end and the gecko will be getting an improper diet. Do you really know about the nutritional needs of crested geckos? And why use superpig btw?
    and the whole point of this thread is to make sure they're not getting an improper diet.

Thanks

How do you know CGD is perfect? Maybe what I am making is equally as good if not better, why would you try to hinder progress?

Thanks

well.. I can't say I'd recommend even trying it because I don't know nearly enough about the balances of everything that would need to be included to keep these animals healthy..

The average person doesn't know the nutritional needs of crested geckos, I know I don't, which is why I just feed CGD, no fuss no muss no guesswork. I'd imagine most people will tell you not to bother. If you want to do a pigment enhancer, why don't you just add it to the CGD?

Thanks

The carotinoid blend is already in the cgd at 4% of total mass. As for nutritional needs its not far off from what I went to school for so I find it enjoyable to figure out proper nutritional blends. I've emulated repashy's diet in terms of nutritional mix, but i've made it in a way that is convenient for myself.

I won't be convinced not to make a blend, but I'd love input as to how to improve it.

Thanks

A lot of people up here used to/still feed their geckos a smoothie diet with insects (as just one without the other cannot be a full diet)

here is a link to a recipe and thread about it on a different forum.
    http://www.rhacscanada.ca/Forum/view...php?f=17&t=204

I used to feed it solely, now I whip up a batch or two throughout the summer when everything is nice and fresh and give it to them as a treat now and then. They love it! Mine liked anything with extra mango in it. They did not like raspberries, blackberries or blueberries in my experience. If I did use something with seeds in it like those 3 fruits I would put it through a really fine strainer to get most of them out.