Thread: heating an plastic tub

Thanks

Default heating an plastic tub

this weekend im hopeing to get a new female crestied IF i can find a nice one for my male at one of our two local breeders the plan is to house her in a plastic tub until i can find a 18.18.24 used exo at a good price where they both can live together

temps are still kinda low here. daytemps in the house around 61f-64f and night time it goes around 57-58 so before i get this gecko i need to make sure i can safely heat a tub without melting it. does anyone have tubs that they heat or ideas i can use? we have an extra UTH i can tape to the side but will it melt it?

while not ideal are these temps okay for a crestie to live under for around a month or less?? by then it should warm up since its almost may

I live in Illinois but my heart is in the wild! Hahaha!
    Thanks

I recommend you get an under tank heater that is a low in heat. Enough heat to raise the temperature but not enough to melt the tub. I used a 40 watt bulb directly on top on one of my pacman frog bins and it didn't melt at all. There wasn't even a smell. That is another way to heat the bin. Just make sure the bulb goes on top of the bin. Make sure you get the temps up quick. They can handle it but only for so long. They really don't like it and their metabolism slows down and you really don't want that.

Thanks

I would worry that warming/heating plastic at all could release chemicals/toxins. Plastic is generally not good to heat. I would wait to get a female until you have the space for her in an exo-terra.
    1.0.0 R. Ciliatus [Ender]

Thanks

The smallest under tank heater size is the only one UL rated to be used on a plastic enclosure. Its intended and sold for hermit crabs kept in kritter keepers.

The other safe route, if your using sterlite type bins, cut out a large square section of the top and recover with aluminum screen. Attached properly it will be heat safe and support a dome light.

Thanks

on second thought one of mine has done fine with no heat since i took the heat lamp away that was deemed by folks here unsafe. he does have a heat pad but never seen him on it so the new girl should be fine for a few weeks?

wish me luck on sneaking her in the house on saturday. the BF said no more geckos so we'll see how long till he notices

Thanks

I have housed ball pythons in sterlite tubs for many years, many others have done the same for even longer than myself. We usually have a hot spot of 92 degrees for ball pythons, much higher than any crested gecko could handle.

Plastic will not melt under these conditions, it is completely safe, and held high in my opinion of a good cage for reptiles, considering how well they hold humidity, and how easy they are to clean.

I'm not sure putting an UTH actually under the tub would help, considering they are arboreal. I would tape it to the side using aluminum heat tape (found at any hardware store). If you do take this route make sure to plug it into a thermostat or rheostat, UTH can and will become incredibly hot. I have seen them reach up to 130 without the use of controller.

The other option is to get a low wattage light bulb and aim it toward one side of the cage to give a range of temperatures which he/she can choose to regulate its body.

Be careful, short periods of heat are more dangerous for crested geckos than extended periods of cool. Either way, I wish you the best of luck to getting the optimum temperature in your setup. It's always an adventure to achieve!
    Formerly known as eel588, new name same great taste!

I live in Illinois but my heart is in the wild! Hahaha!
    Thanks

Yes eel! I was just about to tell them about how people heat snake bins. Thank you! I don't understand how they think snake bins get heated. Very useful post

Thanks

I've been told* to use a human-grade heating pad under a plastic bin for a roach colony, to get up into the 80's-90's. So I wouldn't suggest using that same amount of heat for a crested, but it's another example of safely heating a plastic bin.

*Thanks Jaybee!
    *** My "N" key is actig up. Luckily, there's no "N" in "crested gecko" or "Rhacodactylus ciliatus".***

2.3.9.12 cresties
    0.2 cats
    0.1 German Shepherd Dogs
    1.1.2 humans (that's 1 adult male, 1 adult female (me), and two male juvies)

Thanks

dang idk how you can live in a house that cold. idk lots of people use heat tape on tubs with a thermostat supposed to work great.
    Revolution Reptiles

6.16.Lots Rhacodactylus ciliatus 2.4 Rhacodactylus leachianus 1.2.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus 1.1 Nephrurus Deleani 3.1.2 Paroedura pictus 0.0.2 Phelsuma grandis 1.1 Salamandra s. salamandra 0.1 Tribolonotus gracilis 0.0.1 Teratoscincus kyserlingi 0.0.9 Different Dendrobates. And a Few more