Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unexpected gecko death?

Thanks

If he/she only got misted once a day it was at night. I tried to mist in the mornings as well (I get up at 6:30 so sometimes he/she was still awake and active) but sometimes I was running late and forgot. But the gecko was always misted once a day at night.

Thanks for the link to the other thread - I don't think I'll be doing a necropsy on the little guy. I'm pretty sure after reading everyone's responses that there was an issue with the humidity. I should have gotten a hydrometer, and I should have provided a shallow water dish. And the other thread had a good idea as well - weekly saunas. I just read and researched a TON before I got the gecko and I was under the impression that just misting was perfectly fine. I didn't think that in Ohio humidity would really be an issue.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I thought that I was doing right by my gecko but obviously I made a mistake with the humidity.

I think I'll be throwing the hexagonal tank out, Jaybee. I'm afraid if I drill any holes the plastic will just crack. I thought that since it was a more vertical enclosure that it would be better for a crestie. I'll be sticking with Kritter Keepers from now on for juvies and then only things made for reptiles, like exo-terras for adults

Thanks

If you have a wood-burning tool you might put holes in it that way as well. That has worked for me for other plastic enclosures.

Tall enclosures are better, but like with an Exo-Terra, there are little vents for airflow across the front and where the front-opening doors hinge.

I know it's difficult to suss out what works and what doesn't when you're going by what other people say. Different folks have different suggestions and unfortunately not everything works for every person/area/animal.

Thanks

Dragonslare,

The terra cotta saucers are a good idea. They come in all different sizes as well, so that's useful. Aren't they porous, though? The water doesnt leak out all over your enclosure?

Thanks

Weekly saunas really aren't necessary and would probably just really stress your gecko out. Get a digital hygrometer, get a humidity cycle going and add a small water dish for good measure. You could also put in a humid hide, which is basically a small tupperwear container with a hole cut in the lid and moist paper towels or sphagnum moss inside.
    1.0.0 R. Ciliatus [Ender]

Thanks

Locket-

Those are all good ideas. If I do get another one, the first thing I'll do (before I buy) is get a hydrometer and see what my cycle levels are and get a small dish.

I don't think I'll get another one, though. At least not for a while. My little gecko was so cute and lively, and his death was completely unexpected. To see him explore his little enclosure one night and then see him dead and shrunken the next has really made me upset.

Thanks

I want to thank everyone for their quick and kind responses. I feel bad that my gecko had to die because of my mistake but at least I learned what NOT to do and what probably went wrong. At least I tried to do everything right, I just didn't get it perfect =/

RIP Hobbes! You will be missed