Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unexpected gecko death?

Thanks

Default Unexpected gecko death?

I was very surprised and saddened today to see that my little gecko was dead. I have no idea what I did wrong!

The only thing that I did change was I moved him from a tiny Kritter Keeper to a hexagonal 2 gallon enclosure. But that was a few weeks ago, and he was still eating in his larger enclosure because I still found poop every day. I felt comfortable adding a fake vine to his/her cage, which the gecko seemed to love, it was always climbing all over the vines at night. I still found poop after the addition of the fake vine.

I feed Crested Gecko diet, no insects. The cage is misted once a day, sometimes twice.

Yesterday I did notice that the gecko was a little bit more active during the day, he was not hiding in the fake vine but hanging out on the side of the plastic, and he/she was completely fired up. The little gecko didn't seem to be in distress at all, so I didn't think anything of it. The gecko did get fresh Crested Gecko Diet yesterday but it appears to be untouched.

Any suggestions? What did I do wrong?

I've had this gecko for a few months and it seemed to be thriving...

Thanks

Hey,

Really sorry for your loss!! Everything you where doing seams good! but you didn't mention what you used for the floor covering (substrate), the plastic vines, did you recently add them? if so, where they purchased new, recently? if so, maybe they had a coating on there surface from manufacturing. how about temps, any sudden changes, highs to lows? and it could be just un-explainable, I had a female Gargoyle, that was doing incredible eating CDG and Crickets and came home from work, she was dead, not a clue why.

Joe M.
    www.dragonslare.com
    1.4. Frilled Dragons, 4.5.0.15 Bearded Dragons, 1.4.31.24 Crested Geckos, 1.4.0.2 Halmahera Giant Geckos (marginata), 1.1. Gargoyle Geckos, 3.8.6.4 Leopard Geckos, 1.5.1.20 Chinese Cave Geckos, 2.1.2.4 Fat-Tail Geckos, 1.1. Mossy LeafTail Gecko's, 0.1 Henkeli LeafTail Gecko, 0.3. African Banded Velvet Gecko's, 0.0.2 Madagascan Giant Day Gecko's, 1.0. Veiled Chameleons, .1.1. Cyrtodactylus irianjayaensis 1.1. Cyrtodactylus intermedius 1.4.Tibetan Frog-Eyed Gecko's

Thanks

What were the temperatures like? Was the new enclosure glass, and could it have gotten overheated?
    *** My "N" key is actig up. Luckily, there's no "N" in "crested gecko" or "Rhacodactylus ciliatus".***

2.3.9.12 cresties
    0.2 cats
    0.1 German Shepherd Dogs
    1.1.2 humans (that's 1 adult male, 1 adult female (me), and two male juvies)

Thanks

The little two-gallon enclosure was just big enough for a napkin to cover the bottom. The fake fine is the sort of thing you would find at Joanne's. My mom had some extra, and I rinsed it off before I put it the enclosure. It does not appear to be treated in any way, it's just a regular plastic vine. No paint, veneer, etc. But now I'm kicking myself because I'm not 100% sure where my mom got it.

I'm not entirely sure when I added it, but it's been in there for 5-7 days. The gecko seemed to love the vine, and did not appear to be losing any weight and was not lethargic. In fact, he/she seemed to be much more active and happier since the vine had lots of places to hide and climb.

As for the temperature changes, the weather where I live (SW Ohio) is really crazy and always changing. This past week I woke up to frost on my car one morning and the next day I'm in flip-flops. But the gecko's enclosure I keep on my desk, away from the windows (no direct sunlight, no heat drafts, no cold drafts) and away from all the vents. The weather outside was a little crazy but inside of the house it remained relatively comfortable, in the 70's. I didn't have the heat spike enough to have to turn my fan on, or anything. The gecko seemed perfectly comfortable.

Thanks

The enclosure is made of plastic, and I made a lid for the top that is screen.

Thanks

Now that you both have mentioned it, although the house seemed to stay a consistent, cool 70ish degrees the gecko seemed 'shrunken' when I found it. As I mentioned before, I misted the cage at least once a day, usually 2 times a day. The gecko did drink off the walls of the enclosure, and did not appear to be in distress at all but now that it's dead it looks like it is dehydrated. Is that just what they look like once they've passed or did I do something wrong?

Thanks

I was talking to my gecko's breeder when I picked him up on the weekend and she kept stressing that heat was the number 1 killer of crested geckos that she has sold, but your temps sound fine. Perhaps he became dehydrated.

So sorry you lost your little gecko
    1.0.0 R. Ciliatus [Ender]

Thanks

I'm used to seeing those hexagonal enclosures made out of fish tanks without much in the way of aeration. How was the air flow?

Thanks

Hey,

so far everything you where doing looks real good, by chance did you have a hooded light over the enclosure? or rely on room temps?

Joe M.
    www.dragonslare.com
    1.4. Frilled Dragons, 4.5.0.15 Bearded Dragons, 1.4.31.24 Crested Geckos, 1.4.0.2 Halmahera Giant Geckos (marginata), 1.1. Gargoyle Geckos, 3.8.6.4 Leopard Geckos, 1.5.1.20 Chinese Cave Geckos, 2.1.2.4 Fat-Tail Geckos, 1.1. Mossy LeafTail Gecko's, 0.1 Henkeli LeafTail Gecko, 0.3. African Banded Velvet Gecko's, 0.0.2 Madagascan Giant Day Gecko's, 1.0. Veiled Chameleons, .1.1. Cyrtodactylus irianjayaensis 1.1. Cyrtodactylus intermedius 1.4.Tibetan Frog-Eyed Gecko's

Thanks

I don't know... the only things I can think of are temperatures, humidity, some sort of environmental (chemical, fumes, etc), or injury.

Did you have a thermometer and hygrometer to monitor temps and humidity? What was the substrate? Had there been anything like spraying of pesticides in the area? Any change in the water? Did you provide a dish of water in addition to misting? Could s/he have gotten an electrical shock?

I am sorry for your loss. If you really want to find out what happened, you could put the body in the fridge (not the freezer!) and arrange for a vet to perform a necropsy.

ETA: from the sound of it, it may have been dehydrated if you didn't have a hygrometer and didn't provide a dish of water. Without a hygrometer at least when you are first learing how much to mist, I think it's hard to know how much to mist.
    *** My "N" key is actig up. Luckily, there's no "N" in "crested gecko" or "Rhacodactylus ciliatus".***

2.3.9.12 cresties
    0.2 cats
    0.1 German Shepherd Dogs
    1.1.2 humans (that's 1 adult male, 1 adult female (me), and two male juvies)