Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I really want a Red-Tailed Boa....but

Default I really want a Red-Tailed Boa....but

They look like they get HUGE! A snake thicker than my leg is just not for me at this point. I'd be afraid it could constrict my 1 year old or something. Are they any Boa's that are as pretty as the Red Tails (or locals) that are smaller in size and thickness? The snakes aggressiveness is also a factor. Needs to be a nice reptile!

Recommendations are appreciated! Pics are really appreciated. If I can't find anything, I may just get a really pretty Ball Python.

Hmmm. Caulkers Cay or hogg Island Boas? Anyone have experience with them? From what i've been reading, they are a smaller version of the red-tail?

Your right, most red tail DO get huge. My girl is pushing over 8 feet.
    Here my girl

You could try researching Nicaraguan Boas. They look like mini Columbians, but a little darker and redder. A two year old female is about the same size as a 6 month old Columbian! They stay about a female ball python size, but skinnier.

Caulker Cays, Hogg's Isle and Corn Isle Boas grow to adult size of roughly 6 ft, and have roughly the same care sheet as an RTB. I've looked into them a lot. I have a thread on here somewhere asking for help and I got this link...

www.riobravoreptiles.com

I haven't ended up making the purchase yet but caulkers can be had for about $100 for babies. Good luck!
    Rosario's Reptiles: Project Creamy Things...target 2012 season
    3.8 Ciliatus, 1.2 Guttata, and 1.2 Felis Catus.

I recently bought a RTB. He is still young, but I chose him out of the ten I saw because he was the calmest(about 7 were hissy/bitey). Claude still has not struck at me, and isn't very headshy either(my BP is). I really enjoy him. He is active yet not overly active.

I don't know about any of the smaller ones though. ^^;
    3.6.3 R. ciliatus; 0.1 R. leachianus; 1.1.1 G. gecko; 1.0 G. ulikovskii
    0.1 Heterodon nasicus
    1.1 Eumeces schneideri; 0.0.3 Bombina orientalis; 0.0.2 Archispirostreptus gigas

i was looking into the caulkers caye for a while. i really love the look of boas, but i definitely don't want an 8-10ft snake. i eventually just went with a normal bp and i'm very happy with my choice. i've heard more often then not that boas are "snappier" than pythons.
    Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
    :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Hogg Islands are definitely a good choice and growing in popularity. I see them for sale on fauna quite often for a reasonable price(100-200). They seem to have pretty decent personalities too.
    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Hoggs are a great choice for a smaller boa. Even the females rarely push 7 feet and they are a much more slender boa (with beautiful colors).

I would not recomend a nic or a central american.. I've had several of both species and they are not very tolerant of handling or being messed with at all.

Thanks for the answers!

I have a Costa Rican from http://cuttingedgeherp.com/. Males tend to top out at 4.5-5ft, so definitely a manageable size in my opinion. Vin Russo breeds about a dozen different dwarf locals, from the looks of it. You can also find a bit more information about them there.

Temperament wise, Argento is usually pretty good. He has bitten and hissed a couple times, but he's less than a year old so he's got an excuse. If he does that full grown, eeek!

[ 2.0 Kitteh ][ 1.1 Corn Snake ][ 0.1 Crested Gecko ][ 1.0 Gargoyle Gecko ][ 1.0 Ball Python ][ 1.0 Costa Rican BCI ][ 0.1 Leopard Gecko ][ 0.1 IJ Jag Carpet Python ]

"It'll be a walk in the park... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me." -Lt. Col. Sheppard