Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get rid of mites in the Terrarium?

Thanks

Default How to get rid of mites in the Terrarium?

Well I set up my terrarium a couple weeks ago. I need a plant/crested gecko safe pesticide that will get rid of these little suckers. Any suggestions? Geckos are now out of the tank in a safe quarantine tank. This sucks because they just settled into their enclosure and started to finally eat.

Thanks

I think it would be safer to dump the substrate and sanitize the whole tank (soak, then "bake" any wood, use a bleach/water solution for glass and other accessories). You can bake your soil as well to kill any mites that might be in there. Rinse any plants REALLLY well at the roots and leaves.
    1.0.0 R. Ciliatus [Ender]

Thanks

Kill it with fire...no, really. Spider mites are that bad.

How many plants have been infected so far, and to what extent? If the infestation is small, you could get rid of them with heavy pruning and a lot of washing with soap and water.

More then likely though, your going to need to use a pesticide. There are pet safe pesticides, but I'm not sure if pet safe translates to gecko safe.

You will want to remove any non infected plant and put it in a pot somewhere safe. The quicker you can isolate the infestation the better.

Thanks

What kind of mites are they? (Aaaaannnd, another reason I don't do planted tanks! Blerrrgh!)
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

tiny little white mites. Plants dont seem to be infected yet. It's a small amount that I found under the food dish when I took it out to put new CGD.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MTBgecko View Post
    tiny little white mites. Plants dont seem to be infected yet. It's a small amount that I found under the food dish when I took it out to put new CGD.
    Do you have reptibark in there by chance?

Reptile mites, from my experience, aren't white, they are black.
    Wood mites are white, and they are harmless to your reptiles.

It seems like it would be almost impossible to keep them out of a vivarium unless you remove all wood-based bedding you have. If you're not too concerned about the plants, you could remove the animals and use prevent-a-mite in there.

OR you could buy some predatory hypoaspis mites, which will consume the wood mites and then once they have no more to feed off of they will eventually die..

Many options!
    www.Gracious Geckos.com
    Specializing in (but not limited to) R. auriculatus!
    Facebook!

Thanks

Are you sure they are mites? I've seen posts from people commenting on "little white bugs" on or around CGD before- and it's been every substrate from paper towels to eco earth, I think. No one has ever (that I've seen) named the little buggers for what they are, but they were/are apparently harmless.
    1.0.4 Crested Geckos including Tripp-Burton the amazing three-legged frogbutt wonder <3, Uno, Jorie, Ulali & Mockery

And the rest of the crew:
    1 son & 1.1 cats

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
    Cheez-Its are not harmless! Apparently you've never poked yourself in the eye with a sharp salty corner... they're like edible throwing stars.

Thanks

Wait white by any chance do they look like this?..

If so they are springtails and you don't need to worry. (If you do know what springtails are and you know you actually have mites i'm sorry. Just white little bugs make think of springtails.)

Thanks

bah...and just when i thought it was getting good....

Well, how much raw wood and dead plant matter do you have in the set up? Mistyh and aenimile are right, its likely a wood mite or some other similar bug.

Another question is how old is the soil? If you just put it in there then you may want to be on the look out for other pests, like fungus gnats.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeTwii View Post
    be on the look out for other pests, like fungus gnats.
    I got these ^%#$* things in my houseplants year before last. They went dormant in the fall, and stayed that way till temps got a little warmer (I didn't have geckos then, so the house was cooler).

Then we spent a month+ with the damn things driving us batty last spring till I finally put the plants back outside. Have a few around this year, but I found a treatment that is supposed to help kill the larvae (which is, from what I've read, the major thing to do to eradicate them).

I don't think it's gecko safe, though. I need to pull Tripp's potted plants and treat them, as well as the ones I just got that I was going to add to his tank!

Good god, PRAY you NEVER get these DAMN BUGS. I hate them with such a passion! Since my infestation came from plants being outdoors, even tossing the dirt and replanting won't help- too much risk of cross-contamination!

*screams*

/rant off
    1.0.4 Crested Geckos including Tripp-Burton the amazing three-legged frogbutt wonder <3, Uno, Jorie, Ulali & Mockery

And the rest of the crew:
    1 son & 1.1 cats

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
    Cheez-Its are not harmless! Apparently you've never poked yourself in the eye with a sharp salty corner... they're like edible throwing stars.