Thread: "Firing up"?

Thanks

Default "Firing up"?

So I've been reading up about cresteds for awhile now and I plan on getting one or two this summer. One thing I've noticed in threads is people talking about their geckos being fired up/firing up. I can tell a difference, but what is it exactly? What causes it?

Thanks

as far as i know, we haven't really figured out what the cause of it is yet. it does seem that temperature, light, and humidity seem to have an effect on them firing up, but it also seems to vary from gecko to gecko. for instance, i have some geckos that never seem to fire up at night, but do during the day. and then others that are the opposite. and then a few that fire at random times during the day and night.

fired up colors are typically more vibrant, with higher contrast.
    Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
    :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Thanks

I agree it seems to be a combo of factors, but light is definitely important. I've noticed that sometimes my geckos will be partially fired up just where their bodies are in shadow, and then fired down where their bodies are in direct light. Sometimes I can see a distinct outline of the shadow. Very strange effect! lol

Thanks

Here's a great video created by one of the mods, Jaybee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK3vj9f8Wtc
    The name Stella fills me with dread.
    Mondegreen Geckos
    >iHerp >Facebook

Thanks

I have noticed that my cresties always tend to fire up more at night, and even more so when I take them out of their terrariums at night. I know a lot of reptiles becmoe more colorfult to attract mates, ward off predators and, and during territorial disputes. So, how do we know that cresties aren't firing up because they are scared, angry, or on guard? I have read a lot about "saunas", and tried them on two of my gecko's. I know this is good for dehydrated geckos, and geckos with stuck shed. However, could they be firing up because they hate it?

Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by insaneglitchx View Post
    could they be firing up because they hate it?
    Possibly, but ALL of mine consistantly fire from the saunas.

-Wes
    4.3.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus - Yatè, Mt. Koghis, Rivière Bleue, purple Nuu Ana, Poindimiè
    3.2.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.1.0 Gekko gecko
    2.1.0 Python regius

Thanks

Tripp has never fired in a sauna. In fact, he rarely fires up at all, which is a shame because when he fully fires he's a deep black-brown.

My other two are really young, and one seems to never not be fired up. I have yet to see him not be BRIGHT orange. The other... I have no clue. LOL His colored changed a lot from when I got him, but doesn't change much now.

Maybe I am just cursed by non-firing/unfiring geckos o.O Life at my house is too dang normal? I DID get to see Tripp fired up the other night, just moseying around in his tank like it was nothing <3
    1.0.4 Crested Geckos including Tripp-Burton the amazing three-legged frogbutt wonder <3, Uno, Jorie, Ulali & Mockery

And the rest of the crew:
    1 son & 1.1 cats

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
    Cheez-Its are not harmless! Apparently you've never poked yourself in the eye with a sharp salty corner... they're like edible throwing stars.

Thanks

Thinking about wild crested here .. I would think that firing up and down would have alot to do with camouflage. Since they are nocturnal it would make sense that the colors be lightened to blend in with the environment during daylight hours. Assuming that wild crested are more brown and olive colors the darker colors when fired would be better camo opposed to a light crested trying to find in the trees. I hope I’m not rambling here. Just a thought.
    Stacy
    Gucci the Hairless Chinese Crested & Baldwin the Sphynx Cat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lylwhitetiger View Post
    Thinking about wild crested here .. I would think that firing up and down would have alot to do with camouflage. Since they are nocturnal it would make sense that the colors be lightened to blend in with the environment during daylight hours. Assuming that wild crested are more brown and olive colors the darker colors when fired would be better camo opposed to a light crested trying to find in the trees. I hope I’m not rambling here. Just a thought.
    It does make a lot more sense- however I'm not sure what is up with my geckos.
    My adults tend to follow the fired down/day up/night pattern- but I guess my babies haven't because Fletcher & Sandvich seem to fire up randomly while they sleep during the day.
    Wallace a juvie will fire up randomly on her own, but if held or put in a sauna, she'll progressively fire down. Falk seems to be fired up most of the times I've checked on him- and though Wallace will half-heartedly fire up while hunting crickets, I found out Falk will blaze like a torch.

I would be really interested in seeing if some of the kids continue to fire up quite a bit as adults, though I'm sure they'll come out of it. I'd love to see if how much or how little a gecko fires up is inheritable by their offspring.
    The name Stella fills me with dread.
    Mondegreen Geckos
    >iHerp >Facebook

Thanks

This isnt the best example but here's one of mine fired up (left) and fired down (right). I say its not the best because she doesnt get super bright but its the best example in picture form I have.