Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Green Crestie???Still waiting

Thanks

My girl doesn't have any brown on her, she's just orange and green... much more vivid in person than I was able to capture, and the green on her toes is the most vivid... it's the most 'green' I've ever seen on a crestie!

Thanks

Hey everyone,
    I haven't posted on here in a while but I wanted to share in this discussion. A local reptile shop a few miles from me is advertising a green crested gecko on their website. He has a picture on his website and it looks GREEN. Not Olive at all. I don't want to post his picture without permission but if you Google "Reptile Rapture" you should be able to find his website. Then click on "geckos" on the left hand side and you'll find the pic. I'm not sure what to think of it yet. I'm going to go there tomorrow to check it out in person. If it's as green as it looks, I may be coming home with it

Oh yeah, he has "Price to be determined" and I'm not sure what to offer. How much would you pay? FYI - There is a male and female.
    - Levi

1.2.5 Crested Geckos (Fidget, Sprinkles, Midget, Foxy, Chili, Skittles, Poppler, and Perdie)
    0.0.1 gargoyle (Pickles)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Madtown Cresties View Post
    Oh yeah, he has "Price to be determined" and I'm not sure what to offer. How much would you pay? FYI - There is a male and female.
    If his head and his body stay about the same shade (my male olive's head doesn't get quite as dark as his body) and he were totally patternless I'd pay around 150. If he were truely that green. I'd want to see more photos in natural daylight. If his head or crests were better I'd pay more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stellarawesome View Post
    If his head and his body stay about the same shade (my male olive's head doesn't get quite as dark as his body) and he were totally patternless I'd pay around 150. If he were truely that green. I'd want to see more photos in natural daylight. If his head or crests were better I'd pay more.
    Yeah, it looks like he is patternless from the one picture, unlike a lot of the other olive geckos. He's really a very dark green/olive color. Just very original. His crests do lave something to be desired but he's interesting nonetheless. I'm really curious to see what he looks like in person and not fired up. He looks too dark to not be fired in that pic.
    - Levi

1.2.5 Crested Geckos (Fidget, Sprinkles, Midget, Foxy, Chili, Skittles, Poppler, and Perdie)
    0.0.1 gargoyle (Pickles)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Madtown Cresties View Post
    Yeah, it looks like he is patternless from the one picture, unlike a lot of the other olive geckos. He's really a very dark green/olive color. Just very original. His crests do lave something to be desired but he's interesting nonetheless. I'm really curious to see what he looks like in person and not fired up. He looks too dark to not be fired in that pic.
    Yeah, I'd be wary of a green that good looking. I know depending on the lighting I can make Rhoadie (who I think is a fetching olive) look screaming lime green (when fired down) to brown & gold-headed (fired up).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stellarawesome View Post
    Yeah, I'd be wary of a green that good looking. I know depending on the lighting I can make Rhoadie (who I think is a fetching olive) look screaming lime green (when fired down) to brown & gold-headed (fired up).
    I'll be sure to post an update for you after I see him in person That's what's so awesome about having him right down the road. I don't have to rely solely on the pictures.
    - Levi

0.0.1 gargoyle (Pickles)

Thanks

That color is very interesting. Def. let us know how it goes!
    3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl
    1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page
    Middle TN Exotic Pets Club

Thanks

That gecko is still olive in my book, and that's not a place I would buy from...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 340 Posts

Yeah... I haven't seen anything in this thread yet that looked truly green to me either. It doesn't help that one of the geckos being called "green" is listed on a page background that's actually green... you can really tell it's olive that way. D'oh!

Good pics in multiple shots using different kinds of lighting (fluorescent, incandescent, sunlight) and the critter being photographed on/next to a "known item" (like a dollar bill) will really help showcase the difference between a true green color and the olive we see in cresties... unfortunately most folks don't have the patience or camera know-how to document it properly so we see a ton of "no I mean it totally green please just take my word for it!" animals.

And then we have folks who know their animal is not x color but they try to pass it off as x color for more money... See that a lot with the infernal "moonglow" as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by that_girl View Post
    That gecko is still olive in my book, and that's not a place I would buy from...
    Oh it's definitely not a true green since crested geckos can't be a true green, but it's the closest I have ever seen. It may appear to be a shady place but I purchased my very first gecko there and the owner seems nice.

I don't think anyone should post a crested for sale as a "green" gecko though, because that's just not accurate and is just a way to get people excited about the possibility of something "new" they can make a big buck off of. But I expect that sort of thing from someone who does this as their only business, whether it's a small local reptile shop or a Petco. Since I expect it, I guess I'm not as offended by it because I at least know the difference.
    Last edited by Madtown Cresties; 04-09-2011 at 02:05 PM.
    - Levi

0.0.1 gargoyle (Pickles)