Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lizards or gecko

Thanks

Default lizards or gecko

hi everybody. im looking to get a new pet reptile but i really want something lazy, fat, and that can get a lil big and chunky but not huge like a monitor lizard. any suggestions?

Thanks

Have you looked into Blue Tongue Skinks? Mine is fantastic in the personality department and has a little girth to him.

Thanks

How about a beardie? I know they get bigger but I don't think they get monitor sized. My friend's beardie is super mellow and will just hang out on him. Eats anything put in front of him too.
    The zoo
    3.1.0 R. Auriculatus, 1.0.0 R. Chahoua PI, 0.0.3 T. Corticale, 1.1.0 peacock reed tree frog, 1.1 gray banded king snakes, 0.1 snow corn snake, 1.0 beige chinchilla, 1.0 boxer, 1.0 French bulldog

Thanks

Hey,

Beardie's are a good choice, but are on the active side, full grown you can let them run around a sealed off room, young ones can be a bit costly with crickets and daily veggie's, but by the time there a year old, 80% of there diet should now be fresh cut Veggie's!

But, if you want something rather slow and some what lazy and inexpensive to feed (as far as lizards go), you might what to think about Uromastyx's, i suggest a Saharan (red or Yellow), a good size, find one young enough,work with it early on, want something a little larger, look into Egyptian Uro, but there a little harder to find now.

I've had quite a few Uro's now (Saharan) , and all have been wonderful to take care off. my oldest daughter has a Mali and she's abit temperamental.

Joe M.
    www.dragonslare.com
    1.4. Frilled Dragons, 4.5.0.15 Bearded Dragons, 1.4.31.24 Crested Geckos, 1.4.0.2 Halmahera Giant Geckos (marginata), 1.1. Gargoyle Geckos, 3.8.6.4 Leopard Geckos, 1.5.1.20 Chinese Cave Geckos, 2.1.2.4 Fat-Tail Geckos, 1.1. Mossy LeafTail Gecko's, 0.1 Henkeli LeafTail Gecko, 0.3. African Banded Velvet Gecko's, 0.0.2 Madagascan Giant Day Gecko's, 1.0. Veiled Chameleons, .1.1. Cyrtodactylus irianjayaensis 1.1. Cyrtodactylus intermedius 1.4.Tibetan Frog-Eyed Gecko's

Thanks

I second Uro's or BTS. They're both great. Schneiders skinks are less pricey and also really nice
    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Thanks

SWEET! thanks everybody for the suggestions. i love this forum thing. everyone is awesome. THANKS.

Thanks

I would go for the Blue Tongue, as a good beginner personally. Uromastyx really NEED UVB lights and a high basking temp. Blue tongues are a bit hardier and more forgiving of a lower temp range, plus, they're true omnivores as opposed to vegetarians (which means they'll eat just about anything!) Plus, I have to say, watching a Blue Tongue eat (or drink) is absolutely hilarious. I find Blueys more handleable and willing to "cuddle with you" while watching TV too.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

if you like the idea of a beardie but dont want something so big, try a Rankins dragon, they stay on the smaller side like 12-14" max normally but have a good personality
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

From what I have heard, you'd want a Blue Tongue Skink. They are fat and lazy and will hang out with you. Although Uros are also fat, they are pretty active. The problem with just hanging out with them is that they don't like to get cold so unless you want to go out sunbathing in 100+ degree weather with them, they probably won't be happy outside of their enclosure for too long.

I call blueys "door stops" because when I see them at reptile shows, they just lay stretched out like one and don't move around too much.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook