Thread: Need to vent...my tank

Thanks

Default Need to vent...my tank

Any one here ever use an exterior latex paint on a cage?
    I put it on my beardies cage and it's been sitting out for about two weeks. Couldn't smell anything in it. Brought it in and set it up, turned the lights on for a temp test and noticed strong paint fume smell. Do I need to take it back out and put heaters in it to kick it up to 120 or so to make sure to get it offgassed all the way? It's so strong smelling it makes me sick, stronger than when I painted it. Oh, and it's painted onto fiberglass that's been completely cured for over a year.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 789
    Any one here ever use an exterior latex paint on a cage?
    I put it on my beardies cage and it's been sitting out for about two weeks. Couldn't smell anything in it. Brought it in and set it up, turned the lights on for a temp test and noticed strong paint fume smell. Do I need to take it back out and put heaters in it to kick it up to 120 or so to make sure to get it offgassed all the way? It's so strong smelling it makes me sick, stronger than when I painted it. Oh, and it's painted onto fiberglass that's been completely cured for over a year.
    Umm, I'm really not sure ANY latex paint is safe for a beardie. If it's killing off your brain cells, it'll likely just plain kill your beardie. You might want to consider a different finishing like poly-urethene.
    -Harold
    CC Herps http://www.ccherps.com

Coming soon...

www.versatilevivariums.com

Thanks

The beardie isn't in it. I wanted to do the heat test first to make sure the temp range with the venting and heat lamp. Temps are excellent. 110 degree hotspot down to an 88 degree cool side and a dark cool hide. It's awsome for it's dimensions, although I didn't realize how much space it actually took up until it was inside the house. The entire inside is already painted with the latex. Would I have to strip it off? Would poly urethene stick to fiberglass? Like I said, there was no smell to it till I added the heat light with the 110 hot spot. It had sat outside in temps over 100 degrees the last two weeks.

My beardie isn't going in it until there is no fume, I know that much, but I do need to get him into it asap. It's not as strong after leaving it on all day but still waiting. Once everything is perfectly set up I'll take some photos, I think it is awsome for her.

Quick question about uv lights. They are only good for up to 12 inches right? I have a 4 foot 8.0 bulb. My enclosure is 2.5 feet tall and even on the basking platform it's over a foot away. I wanted a 10.0 but the store didn't have any and the other store didn't have any that long. I really don't want to mount halfway down the back wall because of looks. Any suggestions?

Thanks

The beardie isn't in it. I wanted to do the heat test first to make sure the temp range with the venting and heat lamp. Temps are excellent. 110 degree hotspot down to an 88 degree cool side and a dark cool hide. It's awsome for it's dimensions, although I didn't realize how much space it actually took up until it was inside the house. The entire inside is already painted with the latex. Would I have to strip it off? Would poly urethene stick to fiberglass? Like I said, there was no smell to it till I added the heat light with the 110 hot spot. It had sat outside in temps over 100 degrees the last two weeks.

My beardie isn't going in it until there is no fume, I know that much, but I do need to get him into it asap. It's not as strong after leaving it on all day but still waiting. Once everything is perfectly set up I'll take some photos, I think it is awsome for her.

Quick question about uv lights. They are only good for up to 12 inches right? I have a 4 foot 8.0 bulb. My enclosure is 2.5 feet tall and even on the basking platform it's over a foot away. I wanted a 10.0 but the store didn't have any and the other store didn't have any that long. I really don't want to mount halfway down the back wall because of looks. Any suggestions?

I would really strip that latex off. If it's been off-gassing in 100* weather for 2 weeks, assuming average humidity, and it's still not done, I'd be especially wiery of putting an animal in it. What is this cage made of? Can you shoot some pics now?

As far as the uv lighting goes, UV heat lamps are an option (assuming appropriate measures are taken) and so are UV coil lights.
    -Harold

Coming soon...

Thanks

http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/phot...g3b41ln26f41pq

See if you can view that. That was before the front glass, the vents, or the basking light. Light goes on the right side over the wedge. That doubles as a hide and a basking place. It is made of foam and fiberglass, so even though the top is 110, inside is nice and cool.

I'm in Texas so we have a good bit of humidity. It seemed like it was done. I crawled in it myself when it was outside and I smelled no fumes, no paint smell at all. Only when I brought it in and put the heat lamp on.

I was just looking at the UV heat lamps. Is the Big Apple Herp Sunblast bulb any good or is it better sticking with zoo med or what's the best brand? Even the 10.0 bulb is only good for 20 inches. As for the coil lights, I'd have to put in more fixtures and still stick them down low.

Edit: Capture the Sun, not sunblast. Looks like the Capture the sun produces the most amounts of uva and uvb. Do any of these produce uvc? seems like they would do that as well.

Thanks

http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/phot...g3b41ln26f41pq

See if you can view that. That was before the front glass, the vents, or the basking light. Light goes on the right side over the wedge. That doubles as a hide and a basking place. It is made of foam and fiberglass, so even though the top is 110, inside is nice and cool.

I'm in Texas so we have a good bit of humidity. It seemed like it was done. I crawled in it myself when it was outside and I smelled no fumes, no paint smell at all. Only when I brought it in and put the heat lamp on.

I was just looking at the UV heat lamps. Is the Big Apple Herp Sunblast bulb any good or is it better sticking with zoo med or what's the best brand? Even the 10.0 bulb is only good for 20 inches. As for the coil lights, I'd have to put in more fixtures and still stick them down low.

Edit: Capture the Sun, not sunblast. Looks like the Capture the sun produces the most amounts of uva and uvb. Do any of these produce uvc? seems like they would do that as well.
    Are you against sculpting the interior? Using spray foam to create a naturalistic inside?
    -Harold

Coming soon...

Thanks

No I'm not against it. I'm just trying to get this so I can put him in it. I have a second box I'm going to start working on that I can do all the fancy stuff with. He's in a 55 gallon tank right now and hates it. I want to give her the space, thats my first priority. I don't think I'll have anything come out looking very naturalistic though. I turned on the florescent lights in there and it looked so sterile like a mental ward room. It's got to go. I'm not sure how to strip the latex out.

I'm wondering about sitting it back outside with a heater in it to kick the temps to at least 120 through the whole cage and make sure the paint is baked on good. I was given the suggestion of covering it with a sealer. Was told by someone else to wipe it down with vinegar to get rid of the fumes. I just want it safe for him so I can make the other one show/display quality.
    Thanks

Thanks

Here are some pics of this oak cage I built. The foam is getting a grout/sand coating with a tile sealer.

http://www.geckosunlimited.com/forum...pic.php?t=2347
    -Harold

Coming soon...

Thanks

I put the enclosure outside and put a heater in it. The cool side got up to at least 120, that's where my thermometer tops out. It's been out there all night. How long should I try baking it on? Reminds me, need to go check on it before work. Work, oh boy, already late and still takes half hour to get there. Out

Thanks

It's baked for 24 hours and still has some smell to it. sigh