Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how many crickets?

Thanks

Default how many crickets?

hey everyone, whats a resonable # of crickets for an adult crested to have? how many do people usually give in one sitting? even though its fun to watch them hunt in their tanks i went back to feeding in a seperate empty tank so i could give one at a time and make sure they all get eaten. Sandy has good self control and stops at 6 or 7 but the other guy not so much. usually cut him off at 8 but this morning went up to 12 and he was still taking them readily. Is that too much? can i feed crickets until they stop taking them or are they like fish and will eat until they explode?

Thanks

I have never seen an exploded cresty! (lol) In my opinion I expect that feeding until he stops eating them would be fine so long as he still eats his cgd the rest of the week. As far as how many, I usually feed about 6 - but none of mine seem as glutonous as your guy! Are the crickets you are feeding full grown? 12 does seem like a lot.

Remember, the most important thing about crickets is to feed them no more than once per week to ensure they are receiving a balanced meal from the cgd and ensure they are dusted with the proper suplements. If yours holds out for the rest of the week to get more crickets then I would scale back. However, I have never heard of that happening.

Maybe someone else out there has experience on this?
    Eric
    1.2.7.4 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.0 Phelsuma laticauda

Thanks

I am feeding 4 or 5 at most- and IMO their bellies look plenty full afterwards!

Thanks

i rarely give them more than 3 a piece. when my roach colony is more sustainable they may get 4-5 a piece. im always just overly concerned that they are eating plenty of cgd.
    Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
    :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Thanks

thanks for the replies 12 did seemed like a lot. looks like it's way to much compared to what others feed so ill stick to 6-7 each. their large crickets and my cresties are 55g and 32g, the 32g being the one who was gulping down the crickets. he;s pretty lanky and might been hungry because he doesn't eat a lot of cgd but i try to get him to eat some every few days

one more question. everyone always says no more crickets than once a week...is that because it risks them going off their cgd or because its generally not good for their health? the petsmart guy gave me 60-70 when I asked/paid for 20 so I was going feed for the next few days unless it will hurt them?

Thanks

Both, crickets are high in protein so feeding them crickets too often would be like us having steak every meal every day and never having fruit and veggies (which the cgd provides). Plus, just like me they like steak over vegies so if offered crickets too often they will ignore the cgd and no longer be receiving a balanced meal. Do a search on MBD as a nutional disease on this forum and you see photographic evidence as to why your gecko needs to be on cgd and not mainly crickets or baby food. (The photos will be graphic.)

PS

Are you gut loading your crickets? Assuming you are they should live for a while especially if you don't buy the adults. My mediums live for several weeks. So, they excess crickets will hopefully last till next week for you.
    Eric
    1.0 Phelsuma laticauda

Thanks

Hey,
    I feed mine a cap full of CGD and 3-4 crickets, nitely, and dont feed them anything on Sunday, and there growing big and fast.

Joe M.
    www.dragonslare.com
    1.4. Frilled Dragons, 4.5.0.15 Bearded Dragons, 1.4.31.24 Crested Geckos, 1.4.0.2 Halmahera Giant Geckos (marginata), 1.1. Gargoyle Geckos, 3.8.6.4 Leopard Geckos, 1.5.1.20 Chinese Cave Geckos, 2.1.2.4 Fat-Tail Geckos, 1.1. Mossy LeafTail Gecko's, 0.1 Henkeli LeafTail Gecko, 0.3. African Banded Velvet Gecko's, 0.0.2 Madagascan Giant Day Gecko's, 1.0. Veiled Chameleons, .1.1. Cyrtodactylus irianjayaensis 1.1. Cyrtodactylus intermedius 1.4.Tibetan Frog-Eyed Gecko's

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragonslare View Post
    Hey,
    I feed mine a cap full of CGD and 3-4 crickets, nitely, and dont feed them anything on Sunday, and there growing big and fast.

Joe M.
    Wait- you're feeding that many crickets every night? That can't possibly be healthy, since even dusted crickets are not "balanced" nutrition for Cresties... just gaining weight =/= health...

Thanks

Wow are they really eating 3-4 crickets and a cap FULL of CGD every night? I'm lucky if I see lick marks every other night, and that's with crickets only every week or two. I agree, I don't think crickets every night could be healthy.

Is this per gecko, or are several geckos housed together?
    *** My "N" key is actig up. Luckily, there's no "N" in "crested gecko" or "Rhacodactylus ciliatus".***

2.3.9.12 cresties
    0.2 cats
    0.1 German Shepherd Dogs
    1.1.2 humans (that's 1 adult male, 1 adult female (me), and two male juvies)

Thanks

Joe: I agree with the above, if you meant 3-4 crickets every night they will probably suffer from nutritional issues later in life even if they look fine now. Once per week with the crickets.
    Eric
    1.0 Phelsuma laticauda