Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craigslist find/rescue

Thanks

Default Craigslist find/rescue

So I was looking for good deals on tanks/terrariums on craigslist and came across a 18x18x24 exoterra. It had the background, a lamp, and some branches/vines/etc and was asking $140. This deal also included a crested gecko, a tomato frog, and a white's tree frog. All 3 had been living in this exoterra for the last 3 years.

When I saw the photo of the crested about broke my hearts.

The next 4 photos were the ones included with the post.

I started to not get it but I talked him down to $120, which I didn't think was a bad deal for an 18x18x24, and after doing research online decided I can care for two frogs. I have plenty of tanks for everyone to live separately too.

And here are photos from once I got them home.

The crested seems to just be skinny and possibly a little dehydrated. As soon as I put CGD under his nose he started gobbling, which I did before we even left the sellers house. He was only being fed crickets and was having to fend for himself with two frogs. I don't think they got misted either, but did have a large water dish.

and here's some of him in his own 10gal.

Here are some of the white's tree frog. He seems okay except for being a little underweight.

And in the 18x18x24 I bought all by himself. Yes, I cleaned it thoroughly first!!

Tomato frog - I think he may have some scaring on his eyes from crickets attacking him, which with proper care should repair. He is also brown instead of orange/red, hopefully with proper humidity/temp he will brighten up.

Tomato frog's 10gal. I got conflicting information online whether they should have climbing structure. I opted to not have climbing structure because most care sheets did not recommend it. This 10gal is old and well used, but is water tight.

He buried himself almost as soon as I put him in there. Came back later and he was exploring.

I'm so excited about these guys and am hoping for the best. Our herpetologist at work thinks they'll all be healthy in 3 months with the proper care. I will post photos every week, especially of the crestie.

I think the guy I bought them from was trying to take care of them, but just was not educated on what was the proper care.

Thanks for looking!
    2.4.0 Crested geckos, 0.2.0 Gargoyle geckos, 0.1.0 Okeetee cornsnake - Correen,
    0.1.0 Amel cornsnake - Fiona, 1.0.0 Snow cornsnake - Kai, 1.1.0 Kenyan sand boa, 1.0.1 Leopard gecko,
    0.3.0 Guinea pig (Cavy) 5.1.0 Mutts, 0.2.0 Cats,
    0.0.2 White-lipped (cheeked) mud turtles, 3.10.0 Bettas, 0.0.1 Rio grande gold tarantula
    ~Megan

Thanks

I was just browsing the forum and I think the tomato frog may be a chubby frog (or Malayan painted frog). Any thoughts?
    0.1.0 Amel cornsnake - Fiona, 1.0.0 Snow cornsnake - Kai, 1.1.0 Kenyan sand boa, 1.0.1 Leopard gecko,
    0.0.2 White-lipped (cheeked) mud turtles, 3.10.0 Bettas, 0.0.1 Rio grande gold tarantula
    ~Megan

Thanks

I agree, definitely a chubby frog.

Tomato Frog
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tongilii02.jpg

Chubby Frog
    http://www.animalpicturesarchive.com...1188824227.jpg

It's really great you rescued and separated these guys. Hope they all recover well for you

Thanks

Yep, I was just googling chubby frog, definately a chubby frog.

I will need to get him something short to climb around on. A small cork tube is recommended. Guess, I'm gonna need to make an order from Matt. I've been wanting cork tubes for everyone anyways.
    ~Megan

Thanks

Its a bummer they were living together but awesome pick up. The frogs are fun to watch eat. I have a pac man who is hilarious to watch eat. I had tree frogs before i switched to geckos, keep them wet and fed and they will live happy. I have been browsing CL (3areas around me) for the last 3 months, nothing good has come up. Only one modded/waterfall exo. And basically dead leopard gecko tanks. No good animals or supplies.
    1.1 R. Leachianus
    0.0.1 R. Chahoua
    1.1.2 R. Ciliatus
    Along with Uroplatus, Eurydactylodes, Phelsuma and Leopard Geckos

Thanks

Also meant ask, does the creastie have stuck shed on the end of his nose or just a rubbed spot?
    ~Megan

Thanks

Everyone is eating like champs. The frogs got tong fed a few crickets and they were definitely not shy about eating so I put crickets in to fend for themselves.

The crestie loves CGD! I was so worried that he wouldn't eat it since he has only been given crickets. When I picked them up on Tuesday I went at lunch time so they sat in their plastic sterilites on my desk all day. At the guys house I let the crestie try some CGD he immediately starting wolfing it down. Sitting here on my desk he emptied a milk cap full of CGD in 4 hours. The last two night he hasn't eaten quite that much, but seems to be eating a normal amount. Yea!

Funny story with the frogs. Their terrariums are right next to each other. The white's tree frog was staring into the chubbies terrarium and snapping at the crickets as they went by. I had to put a tub lid between their terrariums so he would quit ignoring the crickets in his own terrarium. Silly frog!
    ~Megan

Thanks

I thought it looked more like a chubby frog then a tomato frog. But nice rescues. They all look happier.
    4.11.10 Crested Gecko (Flash,Nemo,Pip, Addie,Flip,Summer,Chip,FB,Teal, Sweetie, Slice, Star, Scuba, Brinx, Peach )
    2.0 Golden Retrievers (Dreamer,Catcher)

Thanks

Congrats on the neat rescues! Very good of you to take them all in.
    If I live to see the seven wonders, I'll make a path to the rainbow's end. I'll never live to match the beauty again.

Thanks

congrats on the pickups! That whites is definitely underweight. Could just be how he's carrying his weight though.. I've got one chubby whites and one that carries his weight like a pot belly. Watch his back though, the spine is showing a little too much at the "hips", could be an early sign of mbd. I'm sure you'll have them all to rights in no time
    2:0:0 White's tree frogs
    0:0:2 Hermit crabs 1:1:0 African Reed frogs 2:2:0 Crested geckos
    0:1:0 Gargoyle gecko 2:0:0 Parrotlets 1:0:0 Biewer Yorkie