Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a background using Krylon rock spray paint

Thanks

Default Making a background using Krylon rock spray paint

If was thinking instead of using Great Stuff for texture, I would cut pieces of foam for insulation making it look like a rock wall. I would then texture it using the "Krylon make it stone textured paint" and protect it with either the GE clear silicone or Krylon also has a clear coat that is supposedly waterproof. What are your guys thoughts on this? Will it work?

Below is the link to the product if you aren't familiar.

http://www.krylon.com/products/make_...xtured_paints/

Thanks

I kept looking at this stuff when I was working on my leo habitat... ended up going the grout direction and was pretty happy with it! let us know if you use it and as always, post some pictures!
    I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

0.1.1 Uromastyx, 1.0.0 AFT, 0.1.0 Leo, TOO MANY cresties, LOTS of gargs, 1.1.0 KSB, 1 fan toed gecko,1.0.0 Nigel kitty, 1.0.0 Turkelton Sausages dog

Thanks

That would work good. I would definately go with the spray, as silicone will put off a very potent odor for a long time.
    But, you may want to do a small sample piece first, as if you use the STONE texture spray paint it is enamel (oil based) and the clear low odor is acrylic (water based), and one application over the other will just run or fish eye and most likely not stick. This may not be a problem though as the texture might make the clear stick with no problems.
    If you want to know anything about the foam and texturing it...lmk. And good luck!!
    Dana
    Custom Backgrounds & Terrariums/Tanks www.danasdesigns.weebly.com
    3.4.3.4 Cresties, 0.2 Corn snake, 1.1 Kitties

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I really think the texture will work. I have used it in art projects before but not in cages. I am more worried about the sealing/waterproofing aspect of it more than anything. I know a lot of people use the black silicone, but you have to let it cure for about 3 weeks. Has anyone used the clear seal from Krylon?

Here is the link to it below.

http://www.krylon.com/products/crystal_clear_acrylic/

Thanks

the only thing I would worry about is that says its "moisture resistant" instead of waterproof... it might not completely seal or hold up to constant misting.
    I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

0.1.1 Uromastyx, 1.0.0 AFT, 0.1.0 Leo, TOO MANY cresties, LOTS of gargs, 1.1.0 KSB, 1 fan toed gecko,1.0.0 Nigel kitty, 1.0.0 Turkelton Sausages dog

Thanks

I think I might just be patient and use the clear silicone to be sure it is waterproof. I'd rather do that once than have to repeat the whole process if it starts to mold from the acrylic clear coat.

Thanks

I dunno...I've looked at it a bunch of times at Home depot. My big thing(I have several)is that "granite look" is VERY 80's. I don't normally normally worry about my vivs looking "dated", but I guess I'm from that era and a little embarrassed of it.

Thanks

I understand, haha. They have a bunch of different colors though. They look slightly different after being sprayed. I think they are very realistic. Can't wait to give it a try. I'll post pictures of the process when I get it going.

Thanks

SO, I was UBER bored today and did some "testing" for you! I could not find the KRYLON brand but I got RUST-OLEUM American Accents. I was short on funds so I onyl bought one can, but i show the colors they sold at my local Walmart.
    On a good note, it IS WATER-BASED!! WOOT! WOOT! SOO, low odor, fast drying, easy clean up and adheres great! And I asked my dad about clear coating over the top and he said the ONLY reason you even MAY want to would be for the poop/pee clean up! But, I am not going to clear mine, so we will see how it goes!
    AND THANKS FOR THE IDEA EEL558...I LOVE IT!!

I tested plain foam and my propane "torched" foam, and I also tested it with and without a base coat of black Krylon H2O spray paint.

Dana

Thanks

Now to look at the overall effect finished look:

Dana