Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Best hybrid?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BRAND0N View Post
    how is it funny to you that other people are honestly interested in these things (hybridization i mean)??
    I dont find it funny that people are interested in hybrids at all. I find putting up science as "excuse" for breeding hybrids funny. Again, show me any scientific paper about Rhacodactylus hybrids.

Quote Originally Posted by BRAND0N View Post
    Strange how you think that i DONT care about the health of these geckos, im also 110% sure that it would be impossible for there to be NO pure geckos in "a few years" seeing as how they live around 15-20 Years, i find it odd how when i specifically stated that i think its OK for few to be used in science that you immediately go from a few for science to NO pure breeds of any sort? where the hell did that come from? i never said we should stop breeding pure geckos and mass produce hybrids, infact i think it would be impossible because hybrids are fairly hard to produce and YES while i dont recall where there ARE documentation pages and research papers regarding these, feel free to actually search for it though.

Good luck
    ~Brandon
    Where did i write that you dont care about health of geckos? I wrote about messing up the gene pool. Those are quite different things. Yes maybe no pure geckos was exaggerated, but no new bred pure geckos is quite possible. Those hidden hybrids (false declared animals) might mix much faster into the whole population than you might think. Given the reproductive rate of Rhacodactylus.
    And again this step is irreverseable. So balancing the reasons that speak for hybrids and those that speak against them, to me the answer is clear.

@Zero138
    Sorry but this is a discussion forum, therefore i am afraid you have to live with answers you dont like.
    I dont mean to be rude, but when theories arise like "saras actually are nothing but ciliatus x chahoua hybrids" i strongly feel the urge to make a clear statement. It sadly shows the knowledge SOME of the promoters for hybrids have. And in the next post scientific regards are used to justify hybrids...

regards

Ingo
    4,14,x Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1,1 Rhacodactylus leachianus leachianus Friedl Line
    1,1,1 Rhacodactylus leachianus henkeli Nuu Ana
    1,0 Rhacodactylus cf leachianus
    0,0,3 Rhacodactylus trachyrhynchus trachyrhynchus
    and some other herps ...

greetings from austria
    ingo
    www.napalm.at

Thanks

I am completely aware of the fact people are gonna be assholes we all are. But I was more so asking that we stay civil. We are after all a great community full of helpful knowledge and I was just trying to keep the peace. Say what you will, but I'm only trying to be "Mature" does any of that make sense? I know were gonna disagree but Im just trying to make it to where we will all still help eachother. I know from all this there are people I will never turn to now and that's a shame all because i asked a question and others didnt like what was asked.
    Brandon Craig
    5.3.6.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    2.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus
    1.0 Rhacodactylus chahoua
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus leachianus
    Zero's Geckos

Thanks

To Ciliatus...possibly nonsense but i like to keep an open mind. For ever we all thought people and or prey would die from the bacteria in a komodo dragons mouth, but in 2009 found out they possess venom glands. Im not saying saras are natural hybrids, that was just a possibility. Some times science is wrong.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zero138 View Post
    I would like to get the answers I wanted. Its fine it's went here but I wanted to stop before people break bonds on here. Everything has a purpose and I think your answers were kind and full of info. Just trying to keep people who are not as nice on the right track
    Like it was already mentioned, this is a discussion forum and you won't always be spoon fed what you want to hear. Be prepared for honest answer from people that have an opinion on the subject.

ESPECIALLY with such a controversial topic.

It is akin to coming on here and stating, 'I want to breed every gecko I find and I only want people who agree with me to post in this thread.' Of course you will get a lot of people who will plead with you not to do so.

It isn't a matter of being kind and being unkind. To me, everyone who supports chahoua hybrids is not someone who really loves chahoua. The people who support chahoua hybrids are being unkind to ME and those who also disagree with rhac hybrids.

Instead of being so dead set on "I want" take a moment and read the serious concerns that people have on this subject. If it weren't a big deal and people could be trusted with hybrids, we wouldn't care so much. But that is not the case, hybrids are being produced and even bred back into populations of their parent species. If hybrids become increasingly popular, as they seem to be, it poses a serious risk that shouldn't be taken so lightly just because someone thinks they 'look cool' and 'want one'.

Thanks

I do think they look cool and that is exactly why I want one. I don't understand what is hard hard about not replying. I know this is a discussion forum, but really? I did not ask what the bad things around the hybrids were I asked which ones people liked. If I had wanted to know everyones opinion on why hybrids should or should not exist that's what I would have asked. So now that no one is on topic I think it's best to trash this thread and have it deleted. I'm beginning to dislike pangea. Somehow I thought I could ask a question and have people answer what was asked, obviously not. If you don't agree with hybrids what made you open the thread? And I LOVE chewies. So what if I think hybrids are cool. That's another animal with parts of a chewie in it. Have a good night and keep telling me that asking people to be respectful and answer the question asked is unacceptable, I'll continue to think that it was not so far fetched.
    Later,
    Zero.
    Brandon Craig
    5.3.6.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    2.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus
    1.0 Rhacodactylus chahoua
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus leachianus
    Zero's Geckos

Thanks

@Sungmina

Thank you, well said.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentAVP View Post
    To Ciliatus...possibly nonsense but i like to keep an open mind. For ever we all thought people and or prey would die from the bacteria in a komodo dragons mouth, but in 2009 found out they possess venom glands.
    What in the world does Varanus komodoensis have to do with this? Proving they have venom glands was scientific work. Breeding hybrids because they "look cool" or to make money is not. I am pretty sure Dr. Bryan Fry would agree with me in this matter. If someone would breed them to prove or disprove any scientific question, writing a paper about it and then making sure those specimens dont find their way into our hobby, that would be ok to me.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentAVP View Post
    Im not saying saras are natural hybrids, that was just a possibility.
    Thats the point. It is not possible.

I don't understand what is hard hard about not replying. I know this is a discussion forum, but really? I did not ask what the bad things around the hybrids were I asked which ones people liked. If I had wanted to know everyones opinion on why hybrids should or should not exist that's what I would have asked.
    See it as a feature, not a bug being educated about the possible downsides of hybrids, even if you dont want to hear them.

A good discussion board is not about all people there sharing the same opinion. It is about knowledgeable people sharing their point of view in a civilized matter. Disliking Pangea now because a hand full of almost 6000 total users voiced an opinion that you dont like, doesnt sound very sophisticated to me.

regards

Ingo
    4,14,x Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1,1 Rhacodactylus leachianus leachianus Friedl Line
    1,1,1 Rhacodactylus leachianus henkeli Nuu Ana
    1,0 Rhacodactylus cf leachianus
    0,0,3 Rhacodactylus trachyrhynchus trachyrhynchus
    and some other herps ...

greetings from austria
    ingo
    www.napalm.at

Thanks

Although I would never own one unless it was given to me. I like the crested/chahoua the best. I Acually think the saddest thing to happen to reptiles is that they are bred and sold to make money. Not hybrids IMO. That said I think chahoua are amazing the way they are and there isn't a need to breed it to a crested. I have a GTxPI chahoua and I was kinda worried the first time I posted him on here. At the very least I found this thread interesting but just because people don't agree with you about posting this thread dosn't make them trolls.
    1.0.0 GT/PI Chahoua
    3.0.0 PI Chahoua
    0.1.0 Leachianus unknown Locale

Thanks

If I had wanted to know everyones opinion on why hybrids should or should not exist that's what I would have asked.
    You DID ask. You started a thread, you have to deal with all the responses, good and bad. You don't just get to start a thread and say, "only people who will agree with me are allowed to post." Doesn't work that way as this is a public forum.

If you don't agree with hybrids what made you open the thread?
    There is a lot of misinformation out there about hybrids. Look at everything that was brought up in this thread - someone actually thinks a sara is a crested/chahoua. Obviously, they have NOT done their reseach on all the species in the rhac family. Also, some people think that hybrids are sterile, and it is being proven that not all of them are. It's important when there is a possibility of damaging the pure species that people are INFORMED about their decisions.

It is important to me that people understand what is going on. That's why when I see a hybrid thread, I post to it. I love chahoua and I believe in the preservation of the species. I actually find this thread to be one of the more civil of the hybrid threads out there.

No one said you couldn't like a hybrid. That's fine. But you really need to be knowledgeable about the topic. And you definitely don't get to tell people how to post when you start a thread. That just invites people who disagree or have a different opinion to post.

And I believe I answered your question anyway. The mule is the best hybrid.

Thanks

But I was more so asking that we stay civil. We are after all a great community full of helpful knowledge and I was just trying to keep the peace. Say what you will, but I'm only trying to be "Mature" does any of that make sense?
    Just for your info, when you make a post and then only tell people who agree with you that their posts are good posts, and then bicker against everyone who has an opinion differing from yours, telling them they didn't need to answer, you are not helping things stay "mature."

I do think they look cool and that is exactly why I want one. I don't understand what is hard hard about not replying. I know this is a discussion forum, but really? I did not ask what the bad things around the hybrids were I asked which ones people liked. If I had wanted to know everyones opinion on why hybrids should or should not exist that's what I would have asked. So now that no one is on topic I think it's best to trash this thread and have it deleted. I'm beginning to dislike pangea. Somehow I thought I could ask a question and have people answer what was asked, obviously not. If you don't agree with hybrids what made you open the thread? And I LOVE chewies. So what if I think hybrids are cool. That's another animal with parts of a chewie in it. Have a good night and keep telling me that asking people to be respectful and answer the question asked is unacceptable, I'll continue to think that it was not so far fetched.
    Later,
    Zero.
    You can continue to dislike Pangea all you want, but when a troublesome subject like hybridization comes up in such a light-hearted tone as if you're asking people what's their favorite color of gecko, it does disturb people. And personally I'd rather be on a forum where people take subjects like this seriously instead of plugging their ears and going "no I don't want to hear opinions that differ from mine."

So yeah, taking this thread out back and shooting it, and prepare to be more open to differing opinions in the future, especially if you are opening up a can of worms... which you knew you were doing from the beginning. If you want "no negative comments" on stuff in the future show your friends or your parents. That's not what a forum is for.