Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breeding goals

Thanks

Default Breeding goals

I read tons and tons of threads on here about HAVING breeding goals, but rarely ever do I see people discussing THEIR breeding goals, and their plan for reaching those goals. Every now and then I'll land on a thread, and there's a bit on iHerp, but for the most part the only place I get a clue what people are trying to produce is on their websites, looking at offspring and "guessing."

Do people tend to keep these things more confidential (trying to discourage competition or whatever?), or is anyone willing to discuss their goals more openly?

Thanks

when I breed, I will start with red and white flames, then harlies, then pinners. Usually yo can see what people are breeding for if you see their pairs, and also, people breed for what athsteticly(can never spell this) pleases them, for me reds, for others blondes, and others, brindles, I have never heard of someone keeping their goals a secret, but if where they live they have a huge amount of competitio, then maybe.
    Jeremy

1[Krakatoa].0.0 Crested Geckos

1.0.0 Very jumpy Sarasinorum Gecko[Rascal]

Geckoholism comes in many shapes and sizes, for me, that shape is an adolescent who can't buy more geckos

Thanks

OK but that's very vague... will you be looking for anything specific within those morphs?

I see that some people love cream, and the more cream, the better- for example.

I've fallen in love with pinstripes and thick pinning. I think I'm going to shoot for 100% pinstripes and tricolors with 100% thick white pins. Lavenders and high contrasts. Symmetrical markings, and lots of white on the sides. I'm starting off with Leo (bred by Lunar Gecko and picture courtesy of Styx):

Kone (bred by Big Fat Geckos)

and will soon be adding these two to my collection:

Imone from Creepy Exotics (whoops- Barb has already taken down her pic- sibling to this one with more white and bigger crests)

http://www.creepyexotics.com/viewAnimal.php?id=75

And Koumac (formerly Owen) from Crown Jewel Reptiles

http://www.crownjewelreptiles.com/animals/view/571

I'd love to hear more specifics, plus pictures of the geckos they're hoping will help them get there!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
    Do people tend to keep these things more confidential
    This is part of why I don't discuss every detail (also why I don't have an iHerp). It's not so much about competition for me, I just don't feel the need to tell people "I am doing this and this! Everybody look at me! Look, watch, watch what I'm gonna do!" I think I might talk to a handful people about my pairings, and that's only if they ask.

With a species with outcomes as random as cresties' tend to be, more than likely you're going to get a lot of offspring that don't fit into your plans and you look like a goof for saying "IiIIiiIIiii'm gonna make a triple pinstripe line, just watch me!" and then... not.

It's a little less damaging to your reputation if you take your time and prove something out for a few generations before you toot your own horn.

Thanks

IMO there a big difference between discussing goals and comparing results with different morphs and traits with different breeders than "tooting one's own horn."

I mean, the whole reason to join a forum is to benefit from the collective experience and wisdom of others who enjoy and pursue similar goals. I personally would LOVE to see more people post pictures of every single one of the offspring that have come from any individual pairing- I think that could be incredibly educational, and great fodder for some real discussion about genetics!

I know full well that IF I decide to breed, my goals may prove unattainable for me, or I could decide to change them at any given point and time. I may come across this fantastic little gecko- go WOW and totally change my focus. So what? LOL I personally wouldn't consider that damaging to my own reputation (to me reputatation is much more about character than setting some ideal goals in a hobby that never quite happen LOL)

What I'd really love to get a more of a handle on is Crestie genetics. Unless we can leave egos at the door and really dig deep into what happens when x gets crossed with x, we'll never know much more about genetics than we seem to at this point and time. Right now it seems like only the select few breeders who can maintain the huge "stables" of breeders really get a chance to get a feel for these sorts of things.

Thanks

That's a good point Jaybee, and thats an easy mistake to make. I've also heard of breeders not saying anything about a specific gene they are trying to enhance until it is very well developed so that others dont try and "copy cat" them reducing the value of what may be potentially valuable.
    STEVEN

Thanks

I can certainly understand that, especially in a time where the market is quite a bit more competitive than it was just a few years back- but then do they go back and share their experiences about HOW they got there? For the betterment of our understanding of genetics and the hobby as a whole?

Thanks

You can call it greed or whatever you like, but yes, many people will play things close to the vest as long as possible if it means they will make more money. Once you're to the point of investing thousands into your collection, you are more than likely trying to look for ways to make some kind of income, and if you let go of any "secrets" you may be shooting yourself in the foot, as in any other industry. If you want folks without ego... hahaha... you miiiight have gotten into the wrong hobby

This species really has not been in captivity for long and the longer it's around the more experimentation we might see.

Thanks

LOL

It was sounding like I poked a hornet's nest. Guess I'll be leaving this one alone then.

I tend to be a pretty open book, myself. Can certainly respect others for having valid reasons to choose otherwise, though.

Thanks

It just seems to me that cresties don't really produce anything new as far as morphs and colors go, at least not compared to leopard geckos. With leopard gecko genetics, it seems like every time I turn around someone has produced something new with them, and with cresties its more about improving what you've already got. i know i don't really bother to tell people that i'm working with blonde pinners, because tons of people are and its just a bit redundant.

however, i do have some ideas for future projects that i would love to try:
    creamy, high contrast tigers (cream base with dark brown/black markings, or red markings), or aim to produce reverse tigers.
    i'm also a huuuuuge fan of the pinstripes without the solid dorsals (just the "pin" scales are marked). i haven't seen very many pictures of them, so i'm not even sure who works with them.
    Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
    :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook