Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wrinkly skin

Thanks

Default wrinkly skin

on Sunday i took one of my cresties out for her feeding and noticed her skin was extra loose and wrinkly around her sides. her stomach also feels rough like sandpaper. we set up a sauana and let her soaked for 20 minutes then put her back in her cage with an extra large bowl of water and misted heavily that night. monday is fast day so i didn't check on her but yesterday when i had her out for feeding she was still really wrinkly. even more than on sunday. she got another sauana yesterday but she's not drinking any of the water from it. i can't force her to drink so im kinda lost on how to get her hydrated? do i keep giving sauana and eventually she'll rehydrate herself? anything else i should be doing for her?

Thanks

Has she lost any weight?

Does it look like she's about to shed or maybe having issues shedding?

What's the humidity run in her cage?

Thanks

she hasn't lost any weight but she's gained though. no milky skin like she's ready to shed. humiditiy i'm not sure what it is but we spray every night with warm water then cover the screen with a towel. i should probably get a humidity gage. shes been fine since October so i ddidn't think i needed one. i use to see her drink water all the time but lately i haven't noticed so im thinking it could be from lack of drinking

we have some pedialyte in the fridge but it's old from november... i read it's no good after 3 days open so i'd be weary to use it...

Thanks

Can you share some pics of the issue?

Thanks

yeah i will take some pictures shortly and post them here

Thanks

i was a mean mommy and woke her up for pictures so she looks a little pissed. they didnt really catch the wrinkles well but good enough hopefully. if you gently pull on the skin it stays up, just like it would on a cat or dog's scruff it was dehydrated. the last pic shows when i gently pulled it.

i hope im just being a worry wort like usual and it's not nothing serious but i never remember it being wrinkly like this ever

Thanks

She looks all right to me, but yes, you should have a hygrometer to monitor humidity. Especially during cooler months, when we run our heat more, things dry out faster, so pick one of those up (I prefer digitals over dial-style, much more accurate).

Thanks

thanks that's a big relief!!! could it be from her gaining so much weight recently? i've had so many problems with this girl since i got her in August but things are finally on the right track now

i was told a before that humidity levels isn't THAT important with cresties, like as long as you mist them once or twice a day it should be fine? we will get some hygrometers next time we're at the pet store though

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by space.kace View Post
    thanks that's a big relief!!! could it be from her gaining so much weight recently? i've had so many problems with this girl since i got her in August but things are finally on the right track now

i was told a before that humidity levels isn't THAT important with cresties, like as long as you mist them once or twice a day it should be fine? we will get some hygrometers next time we're at the pet store though
    What were the previous issues?

The info you were given on humidity is incorrect - if a crested gecko is too dry or too moist, you can get dehydration, skin infections, trouble shedding to name a few things. You really shouldn't have to be resorting to "saunas" (I really only use them if I find a gecko with food stuck on its feet).

She's actually getting to the fat side - just make sure you don't allow her to become obese because that will introduce another slew of issues.

Thanks

ffrom now on we'll take the humidity more seriously and moniter with a good hygro meter the thing is there was a meter stuck in her old tank that always showed good levels so i thought it would be the same in this tank. since i added under tank heaters to cover most of the bottom things dry out a lot quicker so we use a towel to cover the top. but this weekend we;ll grab a good meter for both cresties.

the other problems were she came to me with slight MBD from being fed very little to no cgd (she mostly ate crickets.) she had very very swollen and warped limbs, and bascially little to no activity. she hardly ever left her cave for 2-3 months, even at night. she also had extreme weight loss.

i worked hard to get her fat and healthy/happy but perhaps i let it go too far? i didnt' think there was such thing as too fat for cresties. we hand feed her 6 days a week or else she won't eat. since january she's gained 16 grams and weighed in at 53 grams a few days ago...hopefully that's not too much too soon.

i don't like looking at these pictures but here's how she looked back in December