Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: T-rex diet

Thanks

Default T-rex diet

I had read over on the Ciliatus.com forum that the crested formula had recently been changed. I went to the store while in town yesterday and picked up a new bottle. It doesn't smell as bad as the old bottle. I mixed it up and put it in my gecko's cage and he ate the whole thing. At least I think so. There isn't any lumps of the stuff left, just a thin layer on the bottom of the dish. Before he wouldn't touch anything that I mixed it with. He wouldn't even eat clarks if there was a little bit in it. Anyone else noticed a differnce in the last month or so?

Thanks

Can't comment on old mix as I've only recently tried it. My rhacs don't seem to like it, apart from one group, I will keep trying to see how it goes.

Thanks

My geckos have always pigged the stuff up, old and new formulas. I noticed the newer formula is more "orangey" and the smell reminds me of pumpkin pie for some reason at least the last few bottles I have bought did.
    ~Melissa~

Thanks

I raise all my geckos (cresteds and gargoyles) on the T-Rex gargoyle diet. They eat it all up! Once the cresteds get a bit older I switch over to the Crested Diet. I think they did make some changes in the diet recently to make it more attractive tasting/smelling and smoother. Not 100% sure though.

I just like the fact that by using the diet I don't have to worry about additional supplementation.

Thanks

I feed both diets. Right now I'm out of the clarks and will pick some up this weekend from Matt at the Indy show, so they are eating T-Rex which they haven't had for a little while. I was surprised to see them lap it right up the first night I put it in, but it's a new bottle so they may like it more now.

In the past they ate it fine (it was all I offered other than occasional crickets) but they definitely liked the clarks better when presented with both as an option.

Thanks

So maybe I was wrong about my gecko eating the food. I've starting wondering since I put it in everynight and it always came out the same. I watched it last night and it didn't gel. The water seperated from the powder and evaporated leaving the powder stuck to the container. Anyone else here using the newer t-rex? I put one spoon powder, two spoons water and stir it up. Now I'm dissapointed. Guess its time to order more clarks diet.

Thanks

I can't wait to try the new t-rex and see what kind of feeding response I will get!! I'm curious??
    It is truly an upside-down world we live in where lies are truths, criminals are our nationsí leaders, and Satanís minions are considered men of God.

Thanks

I usually feed the diet in the evening so the geckos start to eat it before it separates. But I have had to on occasion, feed them earlier and noticed that even when the diet does separate, they still eat it all. One thing you might want to try is mixing a slightly larger batch, so the proportions equal out a bit better, then just refrigerate the rest.
    I prefer to mix my diet, let it sit for an hour or so, then begin feeding. Although I prefer to mix it exactly per package directions. My geckos eat more of it when it is still liquidy as opposed to being more solid.

Oh, and make sure before you put it in the cage, that you mix it thoroughly enough so that no powder remains. It's kind of like pancake batter- you have to mix all the lumps out first!

Thanks

I feed it before bed at about midnight. I put it in and go to bed cause as long as I'm in the room he won't eat and will barely move. I mix it 1:2 like it says an make sure it's mixed up so there is no dry powder and no clumps. I don't know if he is eating any or not. I can't tell anymore. When it gelled and hardened you could tell if there were bites missing, but not anymore. I'm not sure what to do now.

Thanks

Well,

sometimes with some of my geckos there IS a little bit of solid food remaining in the morning. If your geckos continue to maintain weight/gain weight, I wouldn't worry about a thing. Remember that the diets are super nutritious and the geckos don't need to eat that much of it. To give you an idea of how much mine eat- I feed 1 adult size gecko, about 1 teaspoon of food every 2 days. I also feed them roaches once or twice per week.

Hope that helps ya!