Thread: fired vs. unfired: your thoughts

Thanks

Default fired vs. unfired: your thoughts

I apologize if this subject has been beaten to death, or if what i'm about to bring up already has a thread, but i tried a couple searches and didn't get anything, since i think that a good percentage of the threads on this site include something about "unfired and fired".

Obviously most sellers try to get the best shot of their gecko fired when they want to sell them, because the fired up versions of our little gecko friends are often the best. But sometimes i feel like we're leaving out a big part of what our geckos are. I know at least half of my cresties spend most of the day fired down, and a couple of them almost never seem to fire up. And honestly, i have a couple of them that i feel are much more attractive in their fired down states, and if they never fired up again i'd be quite ok with that.

So when I buy a crestie, Iím just as interested in the fired down coloring as the fired up coloring, because more than likely I'm going to be seeing just as much of the "cooled down" color as the other. I do understand that describing a gecko by its fired up coloring is a better way of keeping everyone on the same page, but if the gecko in question rarely ever fires up, does it really count?

So how do you feel? When you buy a crestie, are you only interested in what they look like when they're fired up?
    Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
    :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Thanks

when I put an animal on the trade ad I include both fired up and and fired down pictures. I usually try to find some "inbetween" photos as well. I prefer many of my geckos in their fired down coloration; especially my dalmatians.

This:

compared to this:

or this:

compared to this:

Many of my gargoyles are always quite stunning fired down:

So, it probably depends on the person. I had used to have a red crested male who was a beautiful rosy red when fired up (which he did often). Let's face it. Fired down?? He was UGLY. *shrugs* so, I think it really depends on the gecko. But, I definitely try to include pictures of any animal I'm selling across its color spectrum range.

Thanks

I prefer the fired down state. Most of mine were bought for the lighter colors.
    Stacy
    Gucci the Hairless Chinese Crested & Baldwin the Sphynx Cat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKorin View Post
    Beautiful animal! One thing that was holding be back from gargs was their fired up colors! Lol, I think they're much more stunning fired down. Except for those screamer reds lol.

I think it would be nice for more people to post a photo of fired up & down when trying to sell, however, I purchase the animal soley on fired up colors. I haven't seen too many that I just loved the fired down color so much I wanted to buy..

Thanks

i look at the fired up color(s) when making purchases.

Thanks

ShadowKorin, I'm glad i'm not the only one then! I definitely prefer it when breeders offer pictures of their geckos at the different "stages". And I know what you mean, I have one gecko that looks so blah compared to her fired up coloring, yet i also have one whose fired down coloring i love (very light olive-y with orange tinged markings), but when she's fired up she's nothing special (medium chocolate with lighter markings). if i had only seen her at her fired up colors, i never would have purchased her. also, my pinner female is beautiful when not fired, and that's actually what she looked like when i bought her. her base was a really light, almost lavendar color with creamy markings. her fired up colors are still very nice, but i prefer her fired down as well.

also, that first garg is GORGEOUS. i've never been partial to them, but dang. i've been seeing some pictures lately that really make me consider them..

Thanks

Wow! How you been?

They vary sooo much. I have one that's BRIGHT red during the day and regular old crestie-beige at night. On the other hand , I have a garg that bright freakin' fire-engine red 99% of the time.
    For me it's not just the fired vs unfired argument, but the "pumping" of the contrast in the photos. Everyday I see pix in online ads that just don't look organic.

Thanks

I prefer Yellow base color geckos, mainly because they look great fired up or down.
    -Will
    My Facebook
    ďResentment is like drinking a poison and waiting for the other person to die." Carrie Fisher

Thanks

I like to see both fired-up and down. Just remember when it comes to a morph selection, it must be fired-up.
    STEVEN
    8.9.4 Rhacodactylus Ciliatus
    2.0.0 Rhacodactylus Auriculatus
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus Chahoua

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chockablock
    Wow! How you been?
    i've been pretty great, just super busy, school, work, bf, you know. totally missed the expo in january and now i have to wait for june or whenever the next one is. i'm trying to take as many classes as possible so i can transfer in the fall.

i can see how some tweaking of the colors in a photo can be used to more accurately represent the gecko's real coloring, because i know my camera certainly doesn't get it right, but there are definitely some out there that have to be waaay off.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    I prefer Yellow base color geckos, mainly because they look great fired up or down.
    definitely, the creams and yellows are some of my favorites. i love reds, but when they're fired down they're usually so blah. but i suppose they do make up for that in their brilliance when fired up.

Quote Originally Posted by crestedkeeper
    Just remember when it comes to a morph selection, it must be fired-up.
    that makes sense. i guess i have seen a lot of cresteds that don't really show off their morph until they're fired up.