Thread: "rescuing" a leo

Thanks

Default "rescuing" a leo

So I'm visiting my brother in indiana and am thinking about bringing back his leo with me. She's been pretty neglected over the years (no shedding hide, crickets running around in the cage, stuck shed, no added calcium, etc) and my brother offered her to me knowing I'd probably take better care of her. She's a pretty cool leo too... very chill and will sit on your lap forever. Not exactly what I thought I would be getting for my next reptile... but I'm not so sure I'd be able to pass up taking her back with me... if anything just to give her a good home!

I may or may not also just be excited about the idea of being able to make a new viv... hmmmm.... thoughts??
    I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

0.1.1 Uromastyx, 1.0.0 AFT, 0.1.0 Leo, TOO MANY cresties, LOTS of gargs, 1.1.0 KSB, 1 fan toed gecko,1.0.0 Nigel kitty, 1.0.0 Turkelton Sausages dog

Thanks

OH. I didn't even remember to post the question that I had... what kinds of plants would be good to use in a leo viv?? I know their basic care, but didn't know how well things would survive in the cage along with them...

0.1.1 Uromastyx, 1.0.0 AFT, 0.1.0 Leo, TOO MANY cresties, LOTS of gargs, 1.1.0 KSB, 1 fan toed gecko,1.0.0 Nigel kitty, 1.0.0 Turkelton Sausages dog

Thanks

i've never done live plants for my leos because ive seen them eat loose substrate way too many times to feel comfortable about it. and i prefer them on slate/tile/linoleum because to me it just looks better than any of the desert loose substrates.

ive seen people put potted plants in their terrariums with solid substrates, but in my opinion it doesn't look that good. if you're creative and like to go all out with your terrariums, leos are from rocky/ desert areas and do great with fake rock backgrounds and slate flooring. with something like that you could try to incorporate reptile friendly succulents into the decor. just keep in mind that they're pretty clumsy, so most likely they'll end up falling from any ledges you have, although they're hardy and as long as its not too high they shouldn't hurt themselves. caves and hides are the most important part, as well as making sure that they have a good source of belly heat.

maybe something similar to this, but on a much smaller scale
    http://www.tropicarium.se/images/oekenterrarrium.jpg

they are pretty cool geckos, and if you have a big enough cage to work with you can make it look just as nice as a more tropical terrarium.

edit:
    found another cool photo
    http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...mPVzr-Ih5t9T25
    Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
    :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Thanks

I was definitely thinking about doing the whole "grout fake rock background" thing. As for plants... any thoughts on air plants? I was thinking they might be good ones to have that would stand up to being knocked around or walked over, etc. As for tank size, I've got a 20L that is just taking up room in my garage... probably a little better than the 10 gallon she came with! Thankfully she came with UTHs and at least 1 hide. for now I made a moist hide with moss for her out of a tupperware container until I can make something a little more fancy looking...

Thanks

that 20 gal would suit her wonderfully, i'm sure. i've always felt that 10gallons just dont have enough floor space for them.

as long as air plants are safe for reptiles, i think those would work well. you'd just have to make sure they're stuck down tight, because leos tend to just crawl over everything without any respect for keeping the cage looking nice. the good thing ive noticed about female leos however, is that they tend to just poop in one spot instead of all over the cage.
    Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
    :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook